Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

console knobs

Views : 835

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2012, 20:27   #1
x DTR x
Premier Member

Default console knobs

Hi all
I have just bought a V50 2.0 SE Sport, and i have spent the last few days (in between rain showers) blitzing the exterior to the point where its pretty much immaculate, i am now about to turn my attention to the interior. Although tidy, its not quite showroom yet, but my problem is the center console knobs, in particular the radio knob. It seems to have some kind of coating that is peeling and looks tatty and wondered if they can be removed so i can clean them off properly? I didn't want to just try and pull them off in case it wasn't the way to do it, and don't want to cause any damage. Also, cant seem to work out how to change my signature?

Many thanks for any replies.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 20:58   #2
v40bart
Master Member

that would be the infamous rubberized coating that brakes down from sun and oxygen. It will forever look tatty unless you remove it all which is a major PITA or replace the knobs (in this case the whole unit).
Old May 17th, 2012, 22:09   #3
gilgamesh1066

This would be a nice solution but don't think they are available in Europe.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/alumi...0-v50-c30-c70/
gilgamesh1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 22:40   #4
x DTR x
Premier Member

Thanks for advice guys, those aluminium coloured ones would be great although a bit pricey being plastic! gonna be a case of carefully scraping it off i think. Maybe the edge of an old credit card would be a good tool as not to scratch or damage the knob or console?

Thanks again for your time.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
Old May 17th, 2012, 22:45   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
Hi all
I have just bought a V50 2.0 SE Sport, and i have spent the last few days (in between rain showers) blitzing the exterior to the point where its pretty much immaculate, i am now about to turn my attention to the interior. Although tidy, its not quite showroom yet, but my problem is the center console knobs, in particular the radio knob. It seems to have some kind of coating that is peeling and looks tatty and wondered if they can be removed so i can clean them off properly? I didn't want to just try and pull them off in case it wasn't the way to do it, and don't want to cause any damage. Also, cant seem to work out how to change my signature?

Many thanks for any replies.
Have a look at this thread - LINKY!

With the info in the thread and the .pdf I knocked up you should be well on your way to replaceing them knobs.

Basically you want to get yourself a set of Chrome outer tip ones. Makes it look great, well far better than the just black ones anyway.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 23:11   #6
x DTR x
Premier Member

Thanks very much for the link, i have saved your guide as it is very clear and well explained and will use when brave enough to start dismantling! can i get new knobs or do i need to find another console to source the bits?

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
Old May 17th, 2012, 23:45   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
Thanks very much for the link, i have saved your guide as it is very clear and well explained and will use when brave enough to start dismantling! can i get new knobs or do i need to find another console to source the bits?
I was always led to believe that you couldn't get the knobs separately, however! I would need to check again as it has een a while but I'm sure I came across part numbers for the knobs in VIDA when I was looking for vrious other bits.

I won't have a chance to look at VIDA untel next week (away with work) but I'll have a check when I can. In the mean tme maybe someone else can give a definite answer to the question.

They do pop up on ebay and you can also keep an eye out at any scrappy or dismantlers in your area.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 21:58   #8
x DTR x
Premier Member

Thanks again, very much appreciated

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX