Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon Leak

Views : 592

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2012, 21:16   #1
nbuuifx

Default Aircon Leak

I've got an 2004 S40 2.0d. I've only had it since January and the aircon has never worked.

I had the car from my Dad and he tried twice to get the aircon to work, the garage he used just refilled and pressure tested the first time, all reported OK and off he went happy, but then two months later it wasn't working again.

He took it back and they did all sorts of checks - couldn't find anything, but replaced a couple of cheapish bits (filler valve etc) they refilled, pressure tested and did a sniffer test. All seemed OK.

Again approx 2 months later it no longer worked.

Around this time he took it in for some other work and they had to remove various parts of the front end so they had a better look round but still couldn't find any problems.

So I can be fairly sure it's run out of gas again, but what can I do?

My Dad said the garage blamed it on the test being a vacuum pressure test which can suck a small hole closed, then they pressurize the system with positive pressure which can open up the small hole. They are saying it must be a tiny leak to not show up with the sniffer and to take months to escape.

It'd be nice to have working a/c but it's quite expensive to top up and if it's only going to last 2 months then it's very expensive! Any advice?
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:35   #2
Welton
Premier Member

The garage sound a bit lacking in knowledge to me.

The Vacuum 'test' is not a pressure test at all it is simply to remove moisture from the system if it has been stood empty for a while (gas leaks out, air gets in). Moisture in the system will freeze inside the pipework and cause lots of problems.

The proper Nitrogen test is carried out at approx 250Psi, being quite a small internal volume a tiny leak will show up quite quickly (within a few minutes). Tell-tale signs of a leak are small oil leaks around the pipework joints or brackets or oil staining on the condenser at the front.

A proper look with a UV lamp and some special eye glasses will show up refrigerant leaks as bright purple coloured spots - then you can really home in on the leak and spray some soapy solution around the joints etc and literally watch it blow bubbles.

I would be looking closely at the front mounted condenser first (this is a weak spot on these cars).
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:52   #3
sprout99
Master Member

you shoud not be able to regas if machine detects a leak

ours was regassed a little while back but is very sporadic in it's working

I'm 99% certain ours is down to the compressor clutch disenaging
when it gets hot

Another very common across the volvo range and easily fixed.
sprout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 20:09   #4
v40bart
Master Member

Well, Nitrogen molecules are a lot bigger then refrigerant. Nitrogen test is useless for micro leaks, corrosion on the condenser can cause aluminium to became porous. The pores are small enough to keep the Nitrogen in but refrigerant escapes through them. When my system was tested it passed flying colours but few weeks down the line the aircon is just slightly cool again (it was icy cold for the first two weeks). The only way would be to get your new condenser anodized to make it more resilient.
Old May 21st, 2012, 18:05   #5
Mike Arnold
Master Member

If you get it regassed then insist that they put UV dye in it. Kwik Fit will only do this if you argue with them. Others may do it automatically.

At least then you will be able so see where the leak is.