Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lower engine mount

Views : 2702

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2018, 16:39   #1
kevoffthetee

Default Lower engine mount

hi Guys

I'm getting a clunk with going up through first second and third gear and also noticed a knock when turning sharply. I have read that it could be the lower engine torque mount.

has anyone changed the mount and which one have they used?? I've read the puma speed and vibra tecnics mounts are very stiff and can give vibrations through the cabin, but didnt know how noticable this was or how they compare on price to the Volvo version

I've also read that the Ford Focus ST225 mount is the same one as on my 07/56 plate S40 2.0D but I'm hoping someone can confirm that for me

cheers, Kev
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 17:42   #2
iainmd

I fitted the eFocus one to my S40 T5 and it was great in terms of less wheel tramping under hard acceleration but there was a little more vibration. I wouldn't want it on a diesel though as the cabin vibrations are bad enough as it is in our V50.

Personally, I'd replace with OEM on a diesel.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 20:11   #3
volvopilot

could well be the lower control arm rear bushes.

I replaced my lower control arms a few weeks ago, a huge difference to knocking sounds. Also when changing gears because of the torque applied at the wheel and transferred into the control arms.

very common for them to fail.

I replaced all 3 motor and gearbox mounts and I did not solve the problem... until I replaced the control arms.

especially when knocking during turns I would assume it could well be the control arms.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvopilot For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 17:07   #4
kevoffthetee

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvopilot View Post
could well be the lower control arm rear bushes.

I replaced my lower control arms a few weeks ago, a huge difference to knocking sounds. Also when changing gears because of the torque applied at the wheel and transferred into the control arms.

very common for them to fail.

I replaced all 3 motor and gearbox mounts and I did not solve the problem... until I replaced the control arms.

especially when knocking during turns I would assume it could well be the control arms.
Hi, I'm going to replace most of the bits one at a time, just this one is the main issue to sort first.

I've been give the part number 532A77 (VOLVO 30666627) from Eurocarparts for an OEM part, which is a bit different to the model I was expecting without looking under the car

I was expecting 532C79 (VOLVO 30680339) based on people talking about replacing it with the Ford Focus St225 part.

Can someone confirm this part or is it easy enough to fit and should I change both?
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 13:41   #5
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoffthetee View Post
Hi, I'm going to replace most of the bits one at a time, just this one is the main issue to sort first.

I've been give the part number 532A77 (VOLVO 30666627) from Eurocarparts for an OEM part, which is a bit different to the model I was expecting without looking under the car

I was expecting 532C79 (VOLVO 30680339) based on people talking about replacing it with the Ford Focus St225 part.

Can someone confirm this part or is it easy enough to fit and should I change both?
The bolded part number is the one for the rear mount that attaches to the back of the gearbox. This is the one where people replace it with the Focus e-torque mount

http://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Low-V...peed_15758.jsp

I've got a Febi one saved in my e-bay list at the moment as too wish to renew this mount
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-Bils...53.m1438.l2649

Not sure on the other engine mount you list. You'd have to have a look to see if the car has that particular one.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 16:54   #6
volvopilot

I replaced mine with febi too, they are pretty good quality for after market parts. One of the better ones.

I understand that you want to replace one part at the time and the lower torque mount is a very easy and cheap one. But as I said, the knocking could come from the control arm bushings and it is quite easy to check.

if you park your car with the steering wheel to one side, you can simply look under the car and take a look on the control arm bushings. If they are on one side and look in bad shape, it could be the cause of the knocking sound.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 09:19   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
The bolded part number is the one for the rear mount that attaches to the back of the gearbox. This is the one where people replace it with the Focus e-torque mount

Just a note, I got mine from a US seller on eBay, cost about £35 including postage a few years ago.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 12:44   #8
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I replaced mine with the pumaspeed one and it tightened things up a bit, I still got a knocked though. Both my top engine mounts were a mess.

The torque mount won't cause that big of a knock really. If you're in second at 2.5revs and floor it then get a knock, it'll likely be the engine mount, not this torque mount that is the problem.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 13:58   #9
Teilo1979
V70 R Design D4 MY2013

I fitted the solid one from the E-focus and polybushed the front and rear
suspension arm bushes on my 2.0d V50, the extra vibrations were negligable but the feel of the car was so much better. Well worth doing in my opinion.
If people are experiencing very noticeable extra vibrations on the diesels after fitting these bushes, I would suggest there are other issues to be considered, eg, other bushings needing inspection or engine running problems that have become exaggerated?

Terry

Last edited by Teilo1979; Nov 23rd, 2018 at 14:02.
Teilo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2022, 13:24   #10
Rii
Smoke alot

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post

I've got a Febi one saved in my e-bay list at the moment as too wish to renew this mount
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-Bils...53.m1438.l2649

Not sure on the other engine mount you list. You'd have to have a look to see if the car has that particular one.
Hi I have a 2009 Volvo V50 2.0d and my lower rear mount is a metal round type like the one in bold but all the pictures of the part I need on eurocarparts looks like a hexagonal aluminium shape which looks nothing like the round one, so my question is has this part been superseded and does it look different now so do I need the aluminium one 😅 thanks 👍
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote