Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Won't start when warm

Views : 2623

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2018, 15:34   #21
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Please be gentle with the drain plug at the bottom of the rad, it seals with a rubber O ring on the shaft of the plug so doesn't need doing up too tight, giving it 'just another little tweak to make sure it's sealed' can break the plug. As the saying goes 'don't ask me how I know...'

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 17:50   #22
volvo again
Master Member

Yes, be careful of the drain plug, may already be broken or blocked anyway, or just loosen the bottom hose...or just remove top hose at thermostat, (lazy way) you won't lose that much, obviously will need topping up after.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 20:51   #23
capt jack
VOC Member

Bear in mind that the thermostat housing AND the lower housing to which it is bolted are both aluminium castings and are readily breakable. If the Torx bolts are tight or damaged don’t resort to brute force or a Manchester screwdriver without having spare bolts and both spare housings.

If you do need to replace the lower housing it is doable without removing the inlet manifold and the power steering reservoir-but only just.

Best of all try to get the thermostat housing off without doing any other damage.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 00:39   #24
Alpine

Just thought I'd update you on this.

Your advice was spot on, it was the coolant temperature sensor at fault.

I ordered a new one from the local Volvo dealer, £44.88.

Tried fitting it myself but fell at the first hurdle when i couldn't get the torx bolts off the thermostat housing, they were stuck fast and while I had the right torx fitting my tools weren't up to the job.

So my local mechanic did it, charged me £60. He did it without removing the thermostat housing but said it wasn't that easy.

So cheers all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 08:23   #25
capt jack
VOC Member

Glad to hear it’s fixed!

Jack
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 09:26   #26
Cookeh
Premier Member

Excellent news, but you appear to have been significantly overcharged by your local dealer. I over paid for mine at £30, 'decent' dealers offer them for £25.

I had the same issue with the thermostat bolts, hence having to go the route of coolant dropping and rad hoses removed etc. And I still have seized thermostat bolts!
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 00:56   #27
byootox
Premier Member

60 quid to fit a coolant sensor on on of these !!!
Christ I'm doing something wrong lol
Need to find out where this guy got his mask...
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 10:09   #28
capt jack
VOC Member

I beg to differ on the £60 charge. My usual garage - not a main dealer - charges £55 per hour. If a DIY enthusiast changes a temp sensor, yes, it's a relatively quick and painless task. Perhaps 15 minutes in total. But take the car to a dealer and quite reasonably they're going to have a minimum labour charge - and £60 doesn't seem unreasonable. They are a business, not a charity.

That isn't to say that some garages aren't capable of swindling customers, but £60 for this job at a main dealer I'd say is fair enough.

Jack
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 21:38   #29
Alpine

not a main dealer, but my local mechanic in the village. He doesn't work on Volvos regularly I guess so I'm sure it wasn't a 5 minute job. Plus it includes him dropping the car back at my house while I am at work so it is very convenient for me.
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 15:00   #30
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
I beg to differ on the £60 charge. My usual garage - not a main dealer - charges £55 per hour. If a DIY enthusiast changes a temp sensor, yes, it's a relatively quick and painless task. Perhaps 15 minutes in total. But take the car to a dealer and quite reasonably they're going to have a minimum labour charge - and £60 doesn't seem unreasonable. They are a business, not a charity.

That isn't to say that some garages aren't capable of swindling customers, but £60 for this job at a main dealer I'd say is fair enough.

Jack
Damn... We need more customers like you coming through our door Jack.
Yeah sometimes I forget About labour rates with being on the tools myself.
If the car is now fixed though then yeah 60 quid is fine.