Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 buzzing/rattle from passenger side

Views : 6364

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 10:28   #1
Jamieboy

Default V90 buzzing/rattle from passenger side

Hi all. My first post here.

Got a 2017 v90 momentum and love it except that I'm irritated bý a buzzing / high frequency rattle coming from somewhere on the passenger side interior. I can't seem to locate it although it sounds like it's coming from either the door panel or dash. It's not exactly loud but I'm the kind of person who gets really annoyed by stuff like this and once I've noticed it I hear nothing else.

It is only triggered/noticable at low speeds and low rpm.

Seen a couple of references to this in the v90, s90 and xc90 but not been able to find a conclusion.

Has anyone had this and fixed it/had it fixed? If so please share.

Thanks.
Jamieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 10:38   #2
MaDProFF
Master Member

Rattles can be really deceptive from their source, there are 2/3 rattles on mine XC 60

1/ The big plastic housing on the window screen, there is a small cover that needs to be correctly fitted. This one has been fixed.

2/ Drivers side door handle when the bass is high on the stereo, I also think the buttons rattle a little as well when the bass is booming.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 13:26   #3
volvocat

I have noticed an intermittent rattle which I originally thought was coming from the passenger door area, but eventually realised was from the centre console. It’s the little lugs in the cupholder! Annoyingly, it seems to do it more when holding a cup or bottle.
Haven’t tried yet but I wondered if a little WD40 on each lug would help...
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 21:26   #4
roundyuk

I have the same rattle/buzz on my new V60, bottom left corner of the passenger door; can be stopped by applying a little pressure there. Low (even quiet) bass brings it one, sounds like a cable or something loose behind.

Annoying as feck!
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 15:57   #5
morgano

I have the same rattle. I swear it's coming from the passenger side and my wife swears it's coming from my side. Which makes me believe it's possibly central.

I've checked everything within hands reach and pushing materials etc... doesn't seem to help. I've had her push the materials on her side during a drive. The Intellisafe unit has a tiny amount of movement but holding it in place doesn't seem to help.

I'll check the lugs next time i'm in the car and hear it... however; I'm thinking there is something inside the Intellisafe unit causing the rattle...

I guess we'll see.
morgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 22:25   #6
Jamieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgano View Post
I have the same rattle. I swear it's coming from the passenger side and my wife swears it's coming from my side. Which makes me believe it's possibly central.

I've checked everything within hands reach and pushing materials etc... doesn't seem to help. I've had her push the materials on her side during a drive. The Intellisafe unit has a tiny amount of movement but holding it in place doesn't seem to help.

I'll check the lugs next time i'm in the car and hear it... however; I'm thinking there is something inside the Intellisafe unit causing the rattle...

I guess we'll see.
Haha I'm also constantly driving around obsessively pressing on different bits in the interior.

I may have found the culprit on the way home today, but want to drive around a bit over the weekend to make sure before I commit!
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 10:31   #7
MaDProFF
Master Member

The large housing on the top centre screen has a small plastic cover plate that may not be pushed in correctly, and thus rattle, that was what my rattle was, once it was fitted correctly problem solved.
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 22:28   #8
Chief inspector
Master Member

My noises could be eliminates by firm pressure on the glove box or dash above, but light pressure on the passenger door side air vent, so in my mind, its the vent
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 12:27   #9
morgano

I've found the source!

Whilst trying to apply pressure to the Intellisafe unit i accidentally pressed down behind the passenger visor (as circled below).

The rattle which happens anywhere over 20 mph can 100% be suppressed by applying pressure here as tested over the weekend.

I have a first year service due, the rattle is quite significant even at low speeds so i'm hoping it's something the dealer will sort - especially considering the price of the car.

I am happy I finally know the source of the issue.
morgano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morgano For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 17:49   #10
Jamieboy

Right ive tried out some ofthe suggestions and unfortunately hasnt worked for me (Thanks to all who made them, though). I've also had the chance to drive without kids etc so I can listen out and have been paying close attention over the last month or so. I think I have 2 noises.

One is a buzzing noise from I think the passenger vent. This only happens when everything is cold and only lasts a few minutes. It is related to engine revs and seems to be something resonating when the engine is at low revs. As it goes away after 3 or 4 mins I've decided life's too short to care too much.

Second happens only when car is properly warm. 30 mins or so driving at least. It is related to road imperfections and only heard at relatively low speeds, say below 30 mph. This one is louder (although to be honest im very sensitive - i have to point it out to paasengers for them to notice) and is almost more a creaking sound as if something is moving ever so slightly when going over bumps. Sounds like it's coming from front passenger door or footwell area, but I know how hard it can be to be accurate about this.

I've not had a chance to be a passenger and try pressing things or listening and not been able to replicate the noise when stationary. Will continue to try random things (passenger seat in different positions foam shoved in places etc) and will report back.

As you can tell I'm pretty anal about such things but hey ho, that's me. If anyone recognises this second noise or anything similar would like to hear especially if any progress has been made sorting.

Cheers