Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 D5 - Intermittent loss of engine power

Views : 6754

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2011, 15:29   #1
AndrewArnison

Default V50 D5 - Intermittent loss of engine power

Hello,

This is my first post so hopefully it's correct - any replies would be much appreciated.

I have a 59 plate, V50 D5, R-Design which has developed an internitted loss of power (3 times now) - it is booked into a Volvo garage on Thu for a check but I wanted to do some research first in case the garage say they can not find a fault.

History:
1st loss of power in Jan en-route to airport (I'm in the RAF and I was deploying to the Middle East) so I had no choice but to drive on - problem seemed to rectify itself after 30min.

2nd loss of power was experienced in Feb (being driven by friend whilst I was out of the country) - problem seemed to have resolved itself on start-up the following day.

3rd loss of power was expereinced this week driving from North-East to Wiltshire - problem did not rectify itself (I have not attempted to drive car since).

Symptoms:
Problem occurs whilst driving, not immediately from start.

Vehicle/engine seems to become unresponsive and there is a faint shuddering.

Engine seems to have a significant but not total power loss and the engine will not go above ~2500rpm in any gear.

For example, in 5th or 6th gear, the car would not go above 85mph and when dropping down gears to go from 50-70mph in 4th/5th takes an eternity; this is the same across the gear ranges.

Car/engine does not respond even if accelerator pedal is fully to the floor - same power output/acceleration no matter how far accelerator is depressed.

Throughout, no warning lights or fault messages appear on the dash.

Concerns:
My concern is that on Thu when the car goes to the garage that the fault will once again have resolved itself and the garage will not find a fault!

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew
AndrewArnison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 15:50   #2
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Could be 3 things....

a. A blocked (or Semi-Blocked fuel filter) caused by Crap in the Tank

b. possibly (but Doubtful) is an Air leak on the fuel line from the tank

c. an Air leak from the Turbo (Very Possible) this would slow you down dramatically ...

EDIT**** Doesn't the D5 have that Damned Stupid "Swirl Flap" Mechanisium<<< (Spell Sorry!!) I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than I on Diesels will be along presently to advise further

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; May 24th, 2011 at 15:58.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 18:21   #3
stevo83
Living legend

How many miles on the clock?

KEEP 'ER LIT!
stevo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 18:31   #4
AndrewArnison

25k.

Thanks fopr the comments so far.
AndrewArnison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 18:32   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

The stored fault codes will be the clue , but my guess is the particle filter pressure sensor faulty ...
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 18:20   #6
volvowish

Default Exactly same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewArnison View Post
Hello,

This is my first post so hopefully it's correct - any replies would be much appreciated.

I have a 59 plate, V50 D5, R-Design which has developed an internitted loss of power (3 times now) - it is booked into a Volvo garage on Thu for a check but I wanted to do some research first in case the garage say they can not find a fault.

History:
1st loss of power in Jan en-route to airport (I'm in the RAF and I was deploying to the Middle East) so I had no choice but to drive on - problem seemed to rectify itself after 30min.

2nd loss of power was experienced in Feb (being driven by friend whilst I was out of the country) - problem seemed to have resolved itself on start-up the following day.

3rd loss of power was expereinced this week driving from North-East to Wiltshire - problem did not rectify itself (I have not attempted to drive car since).

Symptoms:
Problem occurs whilst driving, not immediately from start.

Vehicle/engine seems to become unresponsive and there is a faint shuddering.

Engine seems to have a significant but not total power loss and the engine will not go above ~2500rpm in any gear.

For example, in 5th or 6th gear, the car would not go above 85mph and when dropping down gears to go from 50-70mph in 4th/5th takes an eternity; this is the same across the gear ranges.

Car/engine does not respond even if accelerator pedal is fully to the floor - same power output/acceleration no matter how far accelerator is depressed.

Throughout, no warning lights or fault messages appear on the dash.

Concerns:
My concern is that on Thu when the car goes to the garage that the fault will once again have resolved itself and the garage will not find a fault!

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew
Hi Andrew, I have just read your post and I have had the same problem with my car which is a HONDA HR V and I d just like to know if you found out what was the problem with your car suffering from those engine power loss you mentioned in your post? I have exactly the same symptoms and I have replaced the cat converter with a brand new original one, new air filter, ,spark plugs and fuel filter but none of that cured the problem,,the car still drives fine a few days, then all of the sudden it feels like the engine faints slightly and then the power loss you describe takes place... Would you please let me know if you found out what the problem was?

Many thanks
Emilio
volvowish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 18:25   #7
volvowish

Hi Andrew, I have just read your post and I have had the same problem with my car which is a HONDA HR V and I d just like to know if you found out what was the problem with your car suffering from those engine power loss you mentioned in your post? I have exactly the same symptoms and I have replaced the cat converter with a brand new original one, new air filter, ,spark plugs and fuel filter but none of that cured the problem,,the car still drives fine a few days, then all of the sudden it feels like the engine faints slightly and then the power loss you describe takes place...No ECU dashboard lights or whatsoever neither.To add insult to injury, every time I drove to a garage to have it looked at, on route the problem rectified itself and garage couldn t helm me since there was nothing they could see/feel at fautl...

Would you please let me know if you found out what the problem was?

Many thanks
Emilio
volvowish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 21:32   #8
rangeydave

Default loss of power...tell me more

HI All,
I too have the same symptoms. I have only had my car (02 110k) for a week now. Twice it has happened. Ist Time I thought it was my imagination, but today there was no doubt a loss of power (as if turbo not working). I stopped the engine. turned back on and everything back to normal. what the sensor that was mentioned? were is it located? any help much appreciated
Dave
rangeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 21:55   #9
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Get the codes read.

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue.

T5's suffer from a similar problem related to the Fuel Pressure Sensor.

Getting the fuel filter changed & fuel pump checked would probably be the place to start troubleshooting this.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 22:34   #10
rangeydave

Default turbo inlet pipe

hi again,
having read many other similar problems this evening, I think I will check out the turbo inlet pipe for splits and or being soft and collapsing.

will let you know what I find
Dave
rangeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rangeydave For This Useful Post:

Tags
intermittent, power loss, shuddering, turbo, v50 d5