Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

35mpg is it worrying?!!

Views : 1919

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2012, 21:34   #1
nbuuifx

Default 35mpg is it worrying?!!

I've mentioned on a couple of other threads that I only get 35mpg from my 2.0d, and other members have said that would worry them.

Now it hasn't worried me, but then when others mention it, it gets you thinking!

Now I know the history of the car as my Dad had it for about 4 years before me (he was second owner) - it has full service history with every receipt.

My Dad kept a spreadsheet to record how many miles he had done between fill ups and how many litres he had put in so he had an accurate calculation of MPG. Over the past couple of years his overall average was 45mpg, with a peak at 48mpg (long journey to the south coast) and the lowest was 43mpg. My Dad's usual journeys were about 20 miles each way to work each day - no motorways or dual carriageways but some nice A roads and a bit of going through towns.

I had the car off him in January this year and have continued the spreadsheet but there was an instant drop to around 35mpg when I started!

Now I'm not very heavy footed and do tend to drive for economy. I live in a hilly area and do find the hills kill the mpg. My work is only 5 minutes drive away, I leave the house drive slowly through the estate to the main road, go up the bank for a short distance (this does usually require a bit of right foot to join in with the traffic as it's up hill and a 40mph road) I then turn off and take a country lane for a few miles, then pull out onto a 60mph road, up another hill then slow down to 30 after only hundred yards or so then down a couple of roads into another estate. Then stop. Occasionally I do have to go on longer journeys but 5 days a week that is all it does. Looking at it I'll probably only do 4000 miles over the year this year!

So as you can see it's crap driving for a diesel, so I just kind of expect it to be fairly low, but as so many had suggested it should be a worry I thought I'd throw the question out there!

Is there anything to check which could be reducing the mpg?

It is due a service - the message came on the dash a few days ago, so that will be done in the next week or so.

Other than that the only thing I've ever noticed is that if I pull over shortly after starting driving (ie to answer the phone) - it doesn't idle over smoothly - it has a little hiccup every so often - if I start up in the car park and let it idle it idles nice and smoothly and if I idle after it's fully warmed up then it's perfect. Probably nothing but thought I'd mention it!
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 21:54   #2
chrisdicko

I know very little if I'm honest, but what Year, mileage etc is the car?

Does it have a DPF? Could the EGR Valve need cleaning? You could try blocking the EGR valve off to see if MPG increases, then this could indicate a blocked/dirty EGR.
chrisdicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:02   #3
nbuuifx

It's a EURO3 2.0d so it doesn't have a DPF.

It's a 2004 and currently has approx 133k miles on the clock.

I do plan to blank off the EGR and have been following the thread on here, it appears I can do it with no ill effect on the Euro 3 engine. So I'll do that along with the service and see if it makes any difference.

To be honest though when I've had clogged EGR valves in the past you could really notice it, normally kangarooing on overrun.
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:03   #4
Lee '71

Whoops, message cancelled as repeated above.
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:05   #5
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Daft question but you are working it out in imperial gallons and not US gallons aren't you?

FWIW my lowest MPG figures are as below, all of them driving around South Devons daft hills.
Code:
# 	Date 	        Miles Litres 	UK MPG 	Price 	
37	23/10/11	101.1	13.38	34.4	1.359	
46	12/12/11	121.9	15.42	35.9	1.377	
61	16/04/12	150.7	17.66	38.8	1.459	
24	14/07/11	159.9	18.53	39.2	1.427
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:05   #6
chrisdicko

Good it doesn't have a DPF then

My girlfriend has recently bought a Euro 3 2.0D and she is getting 45mpg round the town, and on a long run 59mpg.

I recently found out the EGR is blocked off as well, so this may be helping me if my EGR valve is knackered.

Sorry I can't be any more help to be honest.
chrisdicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:12   #7
UKTech

Can I suggest that you do the EGR at a different time to the service as you won't know what cured the problem, if indeed you do cure the problem.
When doing experiments you should only change one factor at a time, you them take 3 readings and average the results, that way you have the knowledge for another time.

HTH
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:26   #8
GazT4
Diesel Power

I got an app on my Iphone that works it out for you. Ive done 4 fill ups on it so far and MPG has been 41.2, 40, 47.7 and 38.1.

Averages 42.2 MPG over 327miles.

These are all local driving other than 47.7 which was up touring about North Scotlands highland roads!

On a motorway journey it will easily do 50MPG.
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:27   #9
nbuuifx

I am a fan of only changing one thing at once, but in this case if it cures it then I'd be happy!

I only ever fill up with Esso fuel if that makes a difference, and I always go from full tank to fuel light on. I'm getting about 320 miles. I am doing UK gallons.
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:31   #10
Bendolfc
Premier Member

The esso fuel should be fine. Mine lives on Asda and Sainsburys stuff.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote