Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

35mpg is it worrying?!!

Views : 1916

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2012, 22:43   #11
rowdy

I am getting about the same as Gaz gets, but my commute is similar to that of your fathers you describe in the first post.

I would say that it is your short commute that is killing the fuel economy as the car will not be running at its most efficient until it has properly warmed up, and a 5 minute drive is not going to do that.

I have driven quite a few different s40/v50 diesels over the last 3 months.
Going by the average on the trip computer the were as follows.
S40 drive-e 61 reg 1000mls on clock, used for commute to work and back for one day average mpg 50,
V50 D3 geartronic, 12 reg, 500mls on clock, used for three days commute, ave mpg 38.
another V50 D3 geartronic, 12 reg, 2000mls on clock, used for one day commute ave mpg 43 (same as my 05 reg 2.0d).
V50 D2 manual, 12 reg, 1000mls on clock, used for four days commute, ave mpg 45.

Didn't reset the computer for when I used these cars but that is what the readings were, the car with the least mileage had the highest fuel consumption reading, make of that what you will.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 23:01   #12
nbuuifx

To put it into perspective a little bit I had a brand new Astra SRI 1.8 VVTI for 2 years, during that time we clocked up approx 10,000 miles.

The Astra had a book figure of an overall average of 45mpg.

I never reset the average mpg counter, over the two years (which included a 500 mile round trip plus a few other longish journeys) it averaged 27.8mpg. The average speed over the 2 years was 19mph.
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:55   #13
RSVolvo

I used to have a S40 2.0D before my current V50. When I first had it my commute was about 45 miles each way with 3/4 motorway. I used to average just under 45mpg at that time. I then changed jobs and went to a 10 mile all urban commute. My average dropped to about 38mpg, so driving conditions do make a vast difference. As you are only doing a very low mileage, the lower mpg won't cost you that much and when you do take the car on a longer run you will get the benefit of a higher mpg.
RSVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:45   #14
grin factor

Rowdy has already said it, its the journey your doing. Why else would it suddenly drop from 1 driver to another? Seems obvious to me, don't think its anything else mate. Wht notttske the car for a blast? Diesels need it now & again you know.
grin factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:26   #15
Master Member

Yes I'm afraid it's all down to the distance of your daily commute, which is not suited to a diesel at all. It will hardly get beyond the warm stage and at 5 miles each way you are probably doing well to get 35mpg

It would be worthwhile brimming the tank one weekend and going for 100/150 miles on fast A roads/motorways

This would do the engine a world of good and clean it out and on return brim the tank again and see the difference in mpg when on a long run with the engine at proper temperatures
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:46   #16
72dudes

To be honest I also think your main problem is the journey you are doing. Lots of starts, hills etc all while the car is warming up. In 5 minutes, no car is going to reach optimum running temperature, so I would say that even changing items is not going to get much more than mid 30's.

Last edited by 72dudes; May 11th, 2012 at 10:47. Reason: Didn't read page 2!!
72dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:48   #17
askim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuuifx View Post
I am a fan of only changing one thing at once, but in this case if it cures it then I'd be happy!

I only ever fill up with Esso fuel if that makes a difference, and I always go from full tank to fuel light on. I'm getting about 320 miles. I am doing UK gallons.
ok now my car is a EURO 4 for a full tank driving around on a mainly B roads up and down hills i get around 420 miles i use only shell now days.

i used in the past supermarket stand alone and i wasnt able to get more than 320 i used it with Millers and i was getting nearly 390.

i use shell because i get the best miles per gallon and as a benefit the shell is cheapest fuel around me.

yours should do a bit more than mine.

Last edited by askim98; May 11th, 2012 at 10:53.
askim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 13:57   #18
GazT4
Diesel Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by askim98 View Post
ok now my car is a EURO 4 for a full tank driving around on a mainly B roads up and down hills i get around 420 miles i use only shell now days.

i used in the past supermarket stand alone and i wasnt able to get more than 320 i used it with Millers and i was getting nearly 390.

i use shell because i get the best miles per gallon and as a benefit the shell is cheapest fuel around me.

yours should do a bit more than mine.
Hmm thats just made me wonder. I use Morrisons as its cheapest.

I remember in the old days when i tried Vpower in a car to see if it gave any performance benefit- it never, however to the 20quid or whatever i put in i got more miles!!

Now im considering filling with Shell or the like next time and seeing if the MPG improves. Although its not exactly consistent each time due to differed journeys etc..
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 14:29   #19
askim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
Hmm thats just made me wonder. I use Morrisons as its cheapest.

I remember in the old days when i tried Vpower in a car to see if it gave any performance benefit- it never, however to the 20quid or whatever i put in i got more miles!!

Now im considering filling with Shell or the like next time and seeing if the MPG improves. Although its not exactly consistent each time due to differed journeys etc..
when you fill up make sure that you are nearly dry, in my case as i have a EURO 4 shell V Power diesel help to keep the DPF clean.

askim98
askim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 15:01   #20
Si81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
I would say that it is your short commute that is killing the fuel economy as the car will not be running at its most efficient until it has properly warmed up, and a 5 minute drive is not going to do that..
Bingo.. Doing short distances like that is just asking for problems imo.. Anything under say 15k a year and a petrol car will be no doubt cheaper to run and maintain..

Can't you bike to work? lol
Si81 is offline   Reply With Quote