Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upgrading V50 Stereo

Views : 3250

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:09   #1
mbailey

Default Upgrading V50 Stereo

Hi, is there anyone out there that has upgraded the factory fitted stereo in there V50. I spend alot of time in my car and would prefer a better quality sound system, however can this be achieved in the volvo as from first appearance Id say no.
mbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:06   #2
Lee '71

It can be done but it's very expensive. The unit needs to be coded to your car and I believe this can only be done by a dealer and they are very reluctant or will refuse point blank to install a second hand one (unless they have supplied it and I don't think they have many second hand units kicking around main dealers!) due to so many stolen ones being around and there is talk of a new unit being £400+ then you have to add the labour charge for fitting and coding! Also there is the need to have an amp fitted, usually in the left hand side of the boot behind the side carpet, and all it's wiring too.

Sometimes just 'tweeking' the controls can produce a better sound, I have the basic stereo in my car and I have to say I'm happy with it.
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 13:35   #3
GazT4
Diesel Power

I dont know if i have the 'performance' sound system with amp, but for standard i think its pretty impressive!
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 19:36   #4
Lee '71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
I dont know if i have the 'performance' sound system with amp, but for standard i think its pretty impressive!
I believe that when you turn the stereo off and then back on, if you have the performance model it actually says PERFORMANCE in the display, if it doesn't and you just get the picture of a V50 then you have the basic model which I think is still pretty good but I've had nothing to compare it to.
Old May 18th, 2012, 20:35   #5
GazT4
Diesel Power

Just a picture of a V50 for me! Pretty good id say!
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 20:47   #6
MikeV50SELUX

I have the basic 6 speaker system which agree is good. I've added tweeters to the rear doors - the wiring is there, as is a recess in the door card for them to fit in (I can't remember now what size they are).

This has added clarity and crispiness, because they are towards the front of the rear doors they are quite close to your ears so you hear quite a difference.
MikeV50SELUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 16:01   #7
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee '71 View Post
I believe that when you turn the stereo off and then back on, if you have the performance model it actually says PERFORMANCE in the display, if it doesn't and you just get the picture of a V50 then you have the basic model which I think is still pretty good but I've had nothing to compare it to.
If it says "Performance" then you have the basic system with no graphic equalizer, low output amp.

The "High performance" is much better and was standard on SE models a few years ago, but on my SE Lux (my10) was a £400 option at time of purchase.

It's much better sound than standard though and I wish I'd got it.

Top spec version is the "Dynaudio" system with Dolby and surround. About £1100 as an option I think but sound is very good.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 17:18   #8
Lee '71

Like GazT4 mine says nothing at all, just a picture of a V50.
Old May 20th, 2012, 17:35   #9
7050man
Master Member

Just checked mine and yes, the graphic is for just the car.

This is the basic one.

The description I quoted is for the brochure.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:41   #10
jigharha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7050man View Post
Just checked mine and yes, the graphic is for just the car.

This is the basic one.

The description I quoted is for the brochure.

Sorry I mess up my first posting.
Here go;
Has anyone upgraded a high performance?

I have the high performance, which is a very good system but I think I would have gone for the premium sound when I ordered my car.

Now I am wondering if I can add a tweeter to the lower part of the back door, where have the base speakers. The premium sound has a tweeter attached to the base speaker.

I know the premium sound has two tweeters on every door. High performance has two on the front doors but one on the back doors. The basic has one on the fronts doors but none on the back doors.

For the basic, many have upgraded theirs by adding tweeters to the top frame of the back door without any software application.

My question for the high performance is that, is there any plug-in for tweeters at the lower base speakers as the premium sound? If I go ahead and change my speakers from 40 watts to 70 watt (from a wreck V50), would I need a software application for this change and would my amp be strong enough to carry this change?

Has anyone done this?

Last edited by jigharha; May 21st, 2012 at 08:58. Reason: Gramatic and spelling errors
jigharha is offline   Reply With Quote