Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T5 Buying Advice/recommendation

Views : 885

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 16:09   #1
Paddyzulu

Default V40 T5 Buying Advice/recommendation

Hi all,

I would like to buy a V40 T5 Auto up to 3 years old, my logic considering the 245 bhp would be the Cross Country AWD as a better drive than the front wheel drive version.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me their experience of either, or what would be the better choice.

Lastly any known problems with the AWD version in any V40 model?

Thank you in advance,

Paddyzulu
Paddyzulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 10:57   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyzulu View Post
Hi all,

I would like to buy a V40 T5 Auto up to 3 years old, my logic considering the 245 bhp would be the Cross Country AWD as a better drive than the front wheel drive version.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me their experience of either, or what would be the better choice.

Lastly any known problems with the AWD version in any V40 model?

Thank you in advance,

Paddyzulu
The cc model has a higher ride height as well so less harsh drive.

Any fwd car with 200bhp+ is a much better package with AWD.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 12:39   #3
Julianpms
VOC Member

I have had a V40 T5 since June 2017 and have covered about 25,000 miles in it. The engine has a huge amount of torque (especially with Polestar), which makes for effortless overtaking; it can be surprisingly economical too if you let the torque do the work. I do a lot of steady-speed long-distance journeys and have averaged 40.3 mpg (calculated, not trip computer) since new. The downside is that you will certainly experience some torque steer: using Sport mode in the wet is really not to be recommended. But keeping the transmission in standard mode and being sensible, it's perfectly manageable. It also wears the front tyres very fast and is sensitive to the type of rubber you use: I changed to Michelin Cross Climate last November and they seem to have better traction in the wet, regardless of temperature.
I also toyed with getting a T5 CC AWD, but decided against the higher price when new and preferred the handling with the lower ride height of the standard model. Either way, it's been a good drive and I like the understated looks for the performance you get. The main downsides for me are those of any V40: cramped rear legroom and small boot.
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 17:06   #4
Paddyzulu

Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply. It has confirmed what I have been thinking. I have opted for fwd after driving both and pick one up Monday.
Paddyzulu is offline   Reply With Quote