Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Castrol Edge Professional A5/B5 Vs Castrol Edge A5/B5

Views : 21282

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:18   #21
v50inred

http://www.mobil.co.uk/uk-english-lc...which-oil.aspx

Hopefully that link will work.

Note I have never said Mobil 1 0w30 was the correct oil for the later 5 cylinder diesel engines.

But I have searched over 10 different Volvo models fitted with the 5 cylinder diesel.
With the above link to the 2012 V70 stop start. Though I am not certai the link will work as I am using my phone.

I think you will also find that you have advised me before that I should be using 0w30 A5/B5 and without double checking I am pretty sure it was Castrol that you mentioned, perhaps I have linked your two posts subconsciously, given the title of the thread perhaps that is forgivable.

So i admit i have got that crossed over, so in this case your position is ANY 0w30 A5/B5 oil.

Though are you saying you have never recommended Castrol?

I just advised that Castrol 0w30 A5/B5 has a much higher saps than I would be happy with in a Dpf equipped vehicle and yes you are right so is the Mobil 1 0w30 A5/B5, it is 1.4, which is likely why Mobil don't recommend it.

Maybe i have myself mixed up with what I have posted as I don't remember saying to use Mobil 1 0w30.

But I think I should point out the chink in your argument, by default you have advised everybody several times to only use 0w30 A5/B5!

So as you have pointed out you never once mentioned Castrol.

So you must also have advised Mobil 1 0w30 A5/B5, as it fits right in with what you have found in the booklet you have helpfully pasted in above.

So using an oil with saps of 1.4 is all good with Volvo.

The viscosity(cSt) of Super is 53 @ 40oC and 9.8 @ 100oC.

The viscosity(cSt) of Edge is 56 @ 40oC and 9.8@100oC.

The viscosity(cSt) of Motul Eco-Energy 0w30 is 53.2@40oC and 9.95@100oC.

Your argument potentially relies on a 0.2 difference in cSt @40oC.

That is sometimes the difference between a thick 0w30 and a thin 5w30, though my knowledge on oils is rudimentary but in three reduced HTHS oils meeting the same A5/B5 specs it must be fairly relevant.

As you can see from the above technical specifications oil is not simply 5w30 and 0w30.

There is a range.

I can't find the specs of the Mobil 1 0w30 that by default you recommend. As the cSt @40oC is
Not published for some reason?

But don't think for a moment my opinion was based on one data point, a Volvo manual, I actually looked into it a bit.

I thought that was the whole point of a forum, to discuss and learn a bit more.

Anybody can read a manual.

And if in the unlikely event a Volvo dealer used Mobil oil the data they use would be the same as I have looked at? Either that or Autodata which gets its data from the oil manufacturer I would assume, it has been a long time since I looked in an Autodata manual.

The technical specs required for the engine would have been given to Mobil and that is the product they say fits better.

So I have put up the data I have relied upon.

And I think you should reread my first post, I think you might have missed something.

I just feel a cheaper option should be explored.

Last edited by v50inred; Apr 22nd, 2013 at 04:31. Reason: Correcting some errors
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 22:07   #22
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Right let us just clear things up I know you never said Mobil 0W-30 was the correct oil, but based on you "harking" on about Mobil this and that about Mobil.

I simply wanted to point out that what Mobil were going on about was of the wrong specification, still fact. And pointed out a Mobil oil that was of the correct specification. In no circumstances was it a "recommendation" as irony again has caught you out, in one sentence you ask for clarification on my statement which I am clarifying and just to stick it in crayon:

I recommended any A5/B5 0W-30 oil (for an engine 5 cylinder d3/d4/d5, that its only approval oil wise is 0w-30 a5/b5) this does NOT mean Mobil not anyone general industry specification, no chink just a simple industry specification.

So how the hell do you jump to a conclusion by default? You must be on some good sh*t or are you drinking Mobil Super 5W-30?

I never recommended Castrol in this thread which is what I have been talking about. You cannot suddenly just say based on X or Y in previous statements that I am recommending Castrol in a thread when I clearly have not (plus the OP appears to of decided on Castrol even without my input clearly ignoring your posts about Mobil).

Your 5W-30 might meet A5/B5 specification, it will never and can never based on pure specification be classified as a 0W-30 oil though can it? Or is that a chink in your argument quite a simple one.

And if we are really being precise a 5W-30 will never match the temperature range of a 0W-30 oil by definition which is what we are truly talking about. Which is probably why Volvo recommend 0W-30.

Oh and in NO WAY IS THIS A RECOMMENDATION for using 0W-30 A5/B5 Mobil 1 Fuel Economy, not my problem old boy that you cannot find it really.

Anyone can read a manual true, but end of the day a manufacturer recommends and specifies it's oil based on industry standard [in either digital or printed format amazing] for it's own engine which in this case just in case you have been taken away by the magic fairies and forgotten is 0W-30 A5/B5.

And you still have not managed to get around the fact that Mobil have that lovely disclaimer which helpfully again:

Quote:
Always remember to check product recommendations against your vehicle manufacturer's specification requirements and service intervals appropriate to your application.
Woops what is the manufacturers specification again: oh wait 0W-30 A5/B5. I would not be telling them I put 5W-30 in now (based on the OP's car a 5 cylinder D3/D4/D5 engine).

You seem to be also forgetting that the 5 cylinder engines are on extended servicing ranges of 18K, the D3/D4 are relatives of the D5 engine which has always for a fair while been 0W-30 before Edge it was SLX Longtec as many owners had issues getting Edge originally with the correct specification (if they wanted Castrol).

Any Mobil used by a dealership I am sure their decision would be based on industry standard which wait again is 0W-30 A5/B5...for the OP's engine which oh wait just again is a D3/D4/D5 a 5 cylinder Volvo diesel engine amazing.

I have not missed anything in your post old boy, quite simple you said I would put in 0W-30 if you had the OP's car, which is where the funny side is because you are now defending putting 5W-30 in a 5 cylinder Volvo D3/D4/D5, all very confusing but amusing to me.

Just for added effect:

Quote:
If I had a '12 like you I would certainly be using 0w30
If any of this links back (as you have rather helpfully brought up) any previous posts of mine about oil and you wanting to try and get one back at me over the leather cleaning and PROTECTING care then how petty, get a life, take a chill pill, because you are only adding to another laugh for me.

I hope you get the nice amount of pointers about 0W-30 A5/B5 in my post.I also seriously doubt the OP's car was 20K lol.

Last edited by Ninja59; Apr 24th, 2013 at 00:23.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 21:53   #23
mr.pip

Thanks every-one for your help and thoughts. I've spoken to my local dealership, and they say it will be no problem to refill with the Castrol Edge
0W-30 oil that I will supply, when it goes in for service, a saving of around £60!!!!

Yes, you're quite right Ninja59, it was less than 20k but it still hurt a little,
AND it's still the best of the bunch I've had.
'94 940 wentworth
'99 V70 AWD ( piggin thirsty wotsit!!)
'05 V70 D5 v.nice till the 'Eng Service' light kept appearing, & diagnosed as
a 'sticky turbo', the blades refusing to 'slide??'
mr.pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:00   #24
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Yikes that is some saving at least you can control the oil going in the car.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:33   #25
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.pip View Post
Thanks every-one for your help and thoughts. I've spoken to my local dealership, and they say it will be no problem to refill with the Castrol Edge
0W-30 oil that I will supply, when it goes in for service, a saving of around £60!!!!

Yes, you're quite right Ninja59, it was less than 20k but it still hurt a little,
AND it's still the best of the bunch I've had.
'94 940 wentworth
'99 V70 AWD ( piggin thirsty wotsit!!)
'05 V70 D5 v.nice till the 'Eng Service' light kept appearing, & diagnosed as
a 'sticky turbo', the blades refusing to 'slide??'
Did this with my XC90 over 5 years and supplied my own oil from Opie oils, also changed my own pollen filter which is an easy job and saves about 60% on what the dealer wanted
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 23:29   #26
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50inred View Post
If Volvo are happy to run an oil with saps of 1.12 in a Dpf equipped vehicle then that is their opinion and if the car is under warranty they will potentially be fixing any issues.

My position is to go for a lower saps, 0.8 is as low as a quality C3 oil, but I believe you can't have a C3 oil with reduced HTHS hence why Mobil Super is not a C3 oil.

Both oils will certainly be perfectly acceptable for the engine.
Happened to come across this thread while looking for something else and at the risk of setting the debate off again, some engineers think that you should use a higher SAPS oil to protect the cylinder head, even at the cost of a shorter DPF life, because it's cheaper to replace a DPF than a cylinder head. So I guess Volvo are in the protect the head camp.

For My 2003 D5 without a DPF, Volvo recommend 5W-40 oil A4/B4 spec. This has a higher SAPS than the new recommended oil for the latest D5 engines with a DPF. 0W-30 A5/B5 spec. The viscosity is external air temperature range related so I'm not sure why there is so much controversy about the viscosity. The additive package spec is a different kettle of fish though and you ignore that at your own risk.
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 22:17   #27
AimarP

i was reading this debate about Mobil vs Castrol. I have jused in my XC70 2010 year model with D5244T10 engine Mobil Super 3000 FE 5w30 over 2 years and i live in Estonia where weather is colder then in UK. And i have no problemos difference in 0w30 or 5w30 is so little. And Mobil Super 3000 FE 5w30 meets
ACEA A5B5, API SL/SJ/EC, ILSAC GF-3. And the Castrol is not some golden oil its just oil that volvo gets very inexpensively from castrol to but in engines on the factori. My point is... Mobil 1 is same **** like the castrol 0w30 the difference is very little.

Srry my bad english,,

Last edited by AimarP; Aug 5th, 2015 at 22:32.
AimarP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 17:20   #28
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.pip View Post
Hi all, I've just changed my '55 V70 D5 sport, got fed up with the Engine Service Required Msg, which was found to be a sticky Turbo!!, for a '12 V70 D3/4 (stop/start), a strange bedfellow, but a wonderful Car.
How-ever my question is :- Is there any tremendous difference between Castrol Edge Professional 0W-30 A5/B5 and Castrol Edge
0W-30 A5/B5 engine oil, or is it that the dealers want to take over everything by saying I have to buy this oil from them.
Look up both PDS (Product data sheets) on the Castrol.co.uk site to see if the viscosities are the same. If they are, then the base stocks used will be identical, BUT the Pro version probably has a higher level of friction reducing Moly (Mo).

I don't like Acea B5 oils, as they have even less Zinc based anti wear additive than the B4 did. That's just because of some fear of the DPF failing from Zinc compounds causing too much ash. There is no cheap alternative to the use of Zinc, as too much Moly causes long term corrosion.
A5/B5 is equivalent to A1/B1, which was the very first Acea class of oil. Even Castrol admit that on their web site, so if you don't have to use it, don't. It will cause the block to wear out and get dirty faster than an A4/B4 oil, although the fuel contamination from a DPF does help reduce the sludge factor whilst frying the turbo bearings.

Half a can of Liqui Moly Ceratec in the cheaper oil would do a better job than paying the extra for the Pro version in my opinion.
Shell Ultra 0w30 is also made in an A5/B5 form and is a better oil than normal edge, it might well be cheaper on Fleabay.

Both Mobil and Casteroil are too expensive cos they spend big bucks on advertising and providing free oil to car manufacturers for factory fills. If you do use Mobil 0w30 or 40, use their full synthetic (It's an HC synthetic but nearly as good as the German Synthoil or Ultra GTL base) M1, not their cheaper dinosaur oils. If you can't afford good oil, try Halfrauds, as their oils will be just as good as the cheaper Castrol or Mobil oils.

There is no real need for an 0wX in the EU, a 5wX is good for minus 25c and the winter diesel gells below that temp!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 10th, 2015 at 19:37.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote