Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie-suffering panic attack- DPF!

Views : 18258

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2010, 23:51   #1
volvo_c30

Default Newbie-suffering panic attack- DPF!

Hi Guys,

I have just put a deposit down on a 2007 Volvo C30 2.0d. Its got 73,000 miles on the clock.
Was just googling the model and looking at owner reviews of the 2.0d volvo engine and came across the mention of the DPF etc.

Can any of you knowledgable guys tell me how do I find out if my car has a DPF or needs a DPF fluid?
Does the fluid just mix in with the diesel through the fuel filler (like redex etc?)

Any information would be welcome as Im absolutely bricking it now!!!

Cheers
volvo_c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:28   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

have a look at this thread. and you will be bricking some more
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95323
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Aug 8th, 2010 at 08:50.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 14:10   #3
volvo_c30

is there any way of finding out if my car has a dpf?
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 18:33   #4
DickyB V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_c30 View Post
is there any way of finding out if my car has a dpf?
Phone a Volvo dealer and ask them to check on their database.

Saffy V70R Auto...Gone But Not Forgotten.
Now got...Silver P2 04-05 V70 D5 (Facelift).
09 XC90 R-Design (the Barge).
DickyB V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 17:51   #5
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I think that is the Ford engine that uses a separate fluid injection system held I think near the fuel tank. Same as the Focus.

No reason to worry that I can see. Just bear in mind that it needs servicing at some point.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/UKC30MY07Pricelist.pdf

I checked the 2007 owners manual on the club pages and it definatly has a DPF but does not mention servicing.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 00:41   #6
volvo_c30

ok,rang the local volvo dealer and was told every volvo diesel since 2005 has a DPF. How true is this?
Rang volvo customer services and they were not too sure.
I found something on here about the 8th digit of the vin number and the info it gives re the euro4/euro5 stuff.

My 8th digit is 4...does this mean I have no DPF and no fluid to worry about?

Anybody any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo_c30 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:24   #7
Bill_56
Premier Member

I think your was probably right, that every Volvo diesel since 2005 has DPF.

As others have said, Volvo deploy a different DPF technology (Eolys adittive) for smaller engines, not sure whether that includes yours but I think it does. It's difficult to get any hard facts as to how these technologies work, and whether eolys systems still need to actively regenerate.

See here, and decide for yourself, though it suggests to me that eolys systems still need to regenerate, and that thery still use fuel-enrichment to do so. But I could be wrong:

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-se...te-filter.aspx

From above page:
Quote:
The fuel additive, whilst promoting regeneration to burn off soot particles, leaves a small ash residue which cannot be burnt off. It is therefore necessary to replace DPFs requiring the fuel additive at the 75,000 mile service interval.
Based on that, you may want to confirm with a dealer whether it applies to your car. If the Volvo web page is accurate and if your 73k mille car uses eolys additive, and it hasn't yet had it's 75k service, then I'd imagine that could be quite an expense just around the corner. You might want to get a quote for the service including DPF replacement. If it has had the service, maybe worth making sure the DPF was replaced?

Last edited by Bill_56; Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:30. Reason: clarified source of quote
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 11:11   #8
Ben Hur

What the dealer said is not true, I am driving an S40 without a DPF.

The C30, S40 & V50 2.0D with manual gearbox were sold without a DPF until January 2010.

The 2.0D is relatively clean on emissions with a manual gearbox it does not require a DPF to qualify as a Euro IV. You were talking to a dealer with poor product knowledge, if he could get a copy of a Volvo C30, S40 and V50 Price and Specification books supplied in 2009 he could read the following text in the "In fine detail" section:
NB All diesel models are fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter, except 2.0D Manual

There is a period of time that Volvo sold the C30, S40 & V50 2.0D Manual without the DPF that ended in January 2010. It would be helpful if someone could confirm when they started to sell these models without the DPF.

Last edited by Ben Hur; Aug 10th, 2010 at 13:10. Reason: grammer
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Hur For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 16:50   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

You may want to look at these pages - both easily found on the net which explain what DPFs are, how they work and this issues that can exist. I think that the document from Washington State can be classed as authorative and relevant, even if it does realte to American Law.

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/...ltefilters.pdf

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html

Both document clearly show that a DPF needs to reach the correct temperature for regeneration and it is clear (especially in the AA document) that DPF diesel engined vehicles have usage parameters that preclude them for use in the situation that many people are using them.

Last edited by wimorrison; Aug 10th, 2010 at 16:55.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 21:20   #10
volvo_c30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
What the dealer said is not true, I am driving an S40 without a DPF.

The C30, S40 & V50 2.0D with manual gearbox were sold without a DPF until January 2010.

The 2.0D is relatively clean on emissions with a manual gearbox it does not require a DPF to qualify as a Euro IV. You were talking to a dealer with poor product knowledge, if he could get a copy of a Volvo C30, S40 and V50 Price and Specification books supplied in 2009 he could read the following text in the "In fine detail" section:
NB All diesel models are fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter, except 2.0D Manual

There is a period of time that Volvo sold the C30, S40 & V50 2.0D Manual without the DPF that ended in January 2010. It would be helpful if someone could confirm when they started to sell these models without the DPF.

Ben,
So you think the c30 im looking at does not have a DPF? thats good news.
Out of curiosity I rang volvo customer services and that guy wanted the last six digits of the vin number.....puts me on hold for 2 mins and comes back to tell me that my car has a DPF...didnt sound too sure!!!
there seems to be allot of conflicting info.
Dunno what to do.
Ben do te 2.0d need that special fluid if they dont have a dpf?