Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie-suffering panic attack- DPF!

Views : 18250

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 01:15   #11
Ben Hur

From what I understand, when Volvo released the current S40 and the V50 all the diesel models were fitted with the DPF. Later Volvo stopped fitting the DPF on the 2.0D Manual on these two models. When I don’t know and if it was before or after Volvo started producing the C30 again I don’t know. I'm not sure if the early C30 2.0D Manual is fitted with a DFF or not. A check on the VIN with Volvo and/or a physical inspection would confirm the situation.

A VIN check with Volvo should give you a clear answer and from the VIN check it sounds like there is a DPF but as you say the person you spoke to didn’t sound too sure. To be sure I would ask for a physical inspection to look for a DPF. If you can get a digital camera hold it under the car and take some pictures of the exhaust system, a mechanic at the dealers can identify the DPF if it is there for you.

If you have no DPF you will not require the special fluid.

If there is a DPF negotiate a discount to offset some of the impending high service cost.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 08:01   #12
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have seen Eolys fluid being sold for around £20-£30 per litre which when you consider how long it will last does not make it expensive - of course if the DPF is knackered because the fluid has not been replaced then there will be the cost of replacing the DPF - hopefully not the case.

I was speaking with a friend who deals in second hand cars and he said that this 'issue' is not concerning the second hand market and he was confused as to why people were getting so excited about it. He recalled the time when cats were first fitted to petrol engines and the massive doom and gloom that surrounded them - now nobody even thinks about them

Hopefully all that you will need is the fluid replacing and then you will be able to forget the DPF for another 75000 miles
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 11:48   #13
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

The XC90 has had DPF's fitted since 2005 and there haven't been any UK posts about problems with them, only from one forum from Spain and Volvo sorted that one out.

A dealer with VIDA should be able to give you a definative answer about your car as if it needs any DPF related service it would show up on the schedule. The handbook made no mention of service. A C30 with a D5 185bhp engine would have the DPF so the mention of DPF in the handbook probably relates to that model. I strongly suspect the previous poster is correct about the 2 liter C30 not requiring a DPF and that you don't have one.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 20:49   #14
Bill_56
Premier Member

Hi VolvoC30,

Disregarding what any of us forum contributors, myself included, may
Quote:
think
or
Quote:
suspect
...can I ensure you noticed the link to Volvo's version on Volvo's own website which, if accepted as true, resolves some (not all) of the contradictory signals we've maybe given you...?

Here it is again:

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-se...te-filter.aspx

If you accept that information then I think the main unresolved issue would be the fundamental question of whether or not the car has a DPF, especially in the light of Ben Hur's contributions. I personally think Ben's suggestion to do a VIN check with Volvo is a good one. They may well be able to do it just from registration number, without the VIN.

- Bill

Last edited by Bill_56; Aug 11th, 2010 at 20:51. Reason: fixed bad link!
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:07   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I wonder if anyone else thinks this quote from the link in the previous post is wrong.....
Quote:
Because smaller engines run at lower temperatures, a fuel additive may be required to promote regeneration. This additive, Eolys, is currently used on Volvo's 1.6 and some 2.0 diesel engines where a DPF is fitted. The additive is a cerium/iron based solution that is added to a special tank under the fuel tank, which holds approximately 1.8 litres. Additive consumption is low and the tank is topped up as part of the car's regular service schedule.
I don't think smaller engines run at lower temperatures, the explosion in a 2,000cc diesel cylinder chamber must be a very similar (if not the same) temperature to one in a 2,400cc I think.

Eolys is normaly used to increase the flamability of the the soot in the DPF because in a small car it's often not possible to site the DPF close enough to the engine to obtain hot enough exhaust temperatures for full burning.

Am I wrong?
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 13:33   #16
volvo_c30

im going for the car.
I just got a feeling its not got a dpf.
Even if it has I have found tuning companies etc who can remove the dpf and also bypass the software for about £300, so that will be the end of the problem if it ever arises!
volvo_c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 17:50   #17
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_c30 View Post
im going for the car.
Even if it has I have found tuning companies etc who can remove the dpf and also bypass the software for about £300, so that will be the end of the problem if it ever arises!
You don't even have to do that.......http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=713096
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 21:27   #18
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Here it is again:

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-se...te-filter.aspx

If you accept that information then I think the main unresolved issue would be the fundamental question of whether or not the car has a DPF, especially in the light of Ben Hur's contributions. I personally think Ben's suggestion to do a VIN check with Volvo is a good one. They may well be able to do it just from registration number, without the VIN.

- Bill
Just checked the Norwegian edition of the page, and there is nothing resembling this information given in the link above. It only address a problem with the D5 and 2.4D along with DPF and rising oil levels. In April this year, they wrote the owners of vehicles and asked that they check their oil level every 2500 km (1600 mi) and that they contact their dealer if level was too high. Now they say on their page that there have been issues and that the affected vehicles will receive an upgrade of the car's program. No engines, apparently, have accelerated on their own or run on to self destruction because of too high oil levels.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 17:30   #19
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

That link isn't any help with identification it's true. All it says that's relevant is .....
Quote:
Many diesel engines now require the addition of a diesel particulate filter to the exhaust system to comply with the emissions legislation.
Which isn't any use in identifying if a 2007 manual C30 2 litre diesel has a DPF.

I think Ben Hur's post is the most relevant.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 13:36   #20
rosstafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_c30 View Post
im going for the car.
Good feeling. The early 2.0D C30's didn't have DPFs in them. I know my 07 certainly doesn't have one.
Enjoy the car
rosstafarian is offline   Reply With Quote