Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 145 estate for sale

Views : 20293

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2010, 22:39   #1
amazondean
amazondean

Default Volvo 145 estate for sale

I AM SELLING MY VOLVO 145 ESTATE ON EBAY NEXT WEEK, BELOW IS THE FULL LISTING. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WILL MAKE. ANY IDEAS!!

REGISTRATION KAY 569L WORTH AROUND £1000 INCLUDED.

FOR SALE IS A VERY PRESENTABLE 1973 VOLVO 145 ESTATE WHICH COMES WITH A FULL YEARS MOT. ALTHOUGH THERE IS NO TAX ON THE VEHICLE. IT WAS REGISTERED IN MAY 73 SO COULD HAVE BEEN BUILT BEFORE JANUARY BUT I HAVE MADE NO INQUIRIES SO SELLING AS A NON TAX EXEMPT CLASSIC.

IT HAS THE ADDED BENEFIT OF JUST HAVING A TOTAL BRAKE OVERHAUL INCLUDING ALL FOUR RECONDITIONED BRAKE CALIPERS. ALL FOUR DISCS HAVE BEEN SAND BLASTED, SKIMMED AND PAINTED WHERE NEEDED. NEW BRAKE PADS ALL ROUND. NEW BRAKE PIPES TO THE REAR OF THE CAR AND ALL OTHER PIPES HAVE BEEN REPLACED FOR COPPER/NICKEL AT SOME POINT SO ARE IN GOOD SHAPE. THE BRAKE FLEXI HOSES HAVE BEEN INSPECTED AND ARE IN SUPERB ORDER. THE CAR HAS A COMPLETE NEW EXHAUST FRONT TO BACK.

THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS BEEN TOTALY STRIPPED AND NEW WISHBONE BUSHES REPLACED BOTH SIDES. NEW BALL JOINTS BOTH SIDES, TOP AND BOTTOM WERE ALSO PRESSED IN WHILE IT WAS STRIPPED. ALL COMPONENTS INCLUDING TIE RODS, STEERING RODS, WISHBONES, DAMPERS AND SPRINGS WERE SAND BLASTED, PAINTED AND WHERE APPLICABLE, WAX OILED. THIS HAS NOT BEEN DONE TO SHOW STANDARD BUT DONE IN A WAY THAT SHOULD LAST MANY YEARS WITHOUT ANY MAINTENANCE AND EVERYTHING WAS GREASED ON ASSEMBLY. THIS WOULD SET YOU BACK AROUND £1000 OR MORE IF IT WAS DONE AT A GARAGE

THE CAR IS IN VERY GOOD SHAPE CONSIDERING ITS 37 YEARS OLD AND IS PRETTY MUCH IN ORIGINAL CONDITION WITH WHAT SEEMS LIKE ALL ORIGINAL PANELS, OTHER THAN HAVING A REPAINT AT SOME STAGE IN ITS LIFE. THE PAINT WORK LETS IT DOWN SLIGHTLY IN THAT THERE IS SOME CRAZING IN SOME PLACES BUT THE PAINT DOES POLISH UP VERY WELL AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE PICTURES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LISTING. THERE IS SOME FILLER IN THE REAR OFFSIDE DOOR BOTTOM THAT IS STARTING TO BUBBLE SLIGHTLY BUT THE DOOR IS SOLID.THERE HAS BEEN A WELDED REPAIR TO THE NEARSIDE REAR SILL TO A HIGH STANDARD. THE PAINT APPEARS TO BE A GOOD FEW YEARS OLD. THESE CARS DO TEND TO HAVE ROT PRONE AREAS BUT THESE AREAS APPEAR VERY GOOD ON THIS EXAMPLE. THE ROOF GUTTERS ARE NEAR PERFECT, THE BONNET HINGE MOUNTINGS ARE ALSO ROT AND FILLER FREE, THE FLOOR IS VERY GOOD AND UNWELDED AND DRY. IN THE SPARE WHEEL WELLS IS ALSO GOOD AND HAS BEEN INJECTED WITH WAXOIL TO PRESERVE IT AS THIS AREA OFTEN ROTTEN BUT GOOD ON THIS CAR.

UNDERNEATH IS ALSO IN VERY GOOD ORDER AND HAS SEEN FEW REPAIRES IN THE PAST. ON EXAMINATION THERE SHOULD BE NO ISSUES FOR SOME CONSIDERABLE TIME.

THE INTERIOR IS ALSO VERY RESPECTABLE WITH ONLY MINOR WEAR TO THE FRONT SEATS, BUT STILL VERY SUPPORTIVE AND COMFORTABLE FRONT AND BACK.

THE CAR DRIVES WELL WITH NO KNOWN FAULTS OR NOISES AND CHANGES GEAR AS IT SHOULD. AS HAS BEEN SAID, THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS BEEN OVERHAULED.

I WOULD SAY THAT THIS RARE CAR THAT IS GETTING VERY COLLECTABLE NOW IS PERFECT FOR AN EVERY DAY RUNABOUT AND I WOULD SAY THAT IT IS IN BETTER THAN AVERAGE CONDITION AND NOT THE USUAL PILE OR ROT. BUT PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT THE CAR IS NOT MINT AND IS NOT SHOW STANDARD BUT A VERY COMFORTABLE ESTATE THAT IS CAPABLE OF KEEPING UP WITH MODERN TRAFFIC. THE BOOT CAN ONLY BE DESCRIBED AS CAVERNOUS AND WOULD BE IDEAL FOR LARGE ITEMS.

I HAVE STARTED THE LISTING AT WHAT I WOULD CONSIDER IS ITS LOWER VALUATION AND WOULD HOPE TO GET CONSIDERABLY MORE, BUT IT IS DOWN TO THE AUCTION.

PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU REQUIRE. THE PHOTOS ARE A GOOD REPRESENTATION OF THE CONDITION BUT PHOTOS DO TEND TO SHOW THE CAR OFF SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN IT ACTUALY IS. I AM JUST TRYING NOT TO MISSLEAD ANYONE.

Last edited by amazondean; May 20th, 2010 at 22:42.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 19:03   #2
john h
VOC Member

It looks in pretty good shape.

Best of luck with the sale - hope it goes to someone on here.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 21:00   #3
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

For 37 years old it is in BLOODY good shape!

I reckon this should go for well in excess of £1,500, if the underneath is as good as the rest of it.

Gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous; I already envy the lucky high bidder.

Good luck, C.A.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:42   #4
amazondean
amazondean

The car is now on ebay. Starting price of £1000. Highest bidder will win it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 16:18   #5
amazondean
amazondean

Just a few hours left. Still at £1000. As far as i can see, if it stays at that, i have ni on given it away
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 16:41   #6
john h
VOC Member

Best of luck with it.

Be sure to point the new owner in the direction of the forum, hopefully we can keep in touch with the car that way

John

Last edited by john h; Jun 2nd, 2010 at 17:03.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 16:50   #7
kean

In the few hours remaining, can anyone in this Volvo Owners' forum confirm the build date of your car and therefore if it is tax exempt?
kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 17:06   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Tax

The DVLA record shows KAY 569L to have been first registered in May 1973, and thus not tax exempt, but hey, even so, that is one fine looking 145!

It's possible to take on the DVLA and win. I had an 1800ES first registered in Feb 73, but I was able to date some of the components as 1972 - Volvo did seem to date stamp relays etc at the time. Ultimately I did get my free tax disc.

You could easily spend much more on something a bit older and end up with much less of a car, all to save a few £00 on the road tax.

I've absolutely no connection with the car or the vendor, but at £1000 that's got all the makings of a bargain. If you want it then go for it!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 17:08   #9
amazondean
amazondean

Reg number KAY 569L Chassis number 199112. Registration date is may 73 but the dvla website says build date unknown. Personaly i think it would have been built after january but you never know.

It is the build date not the registration date that gives it its tax exemption
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 17:28   #10
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
You could easily spend much more on something a bit older and end up with much less of a car, all to save a few £00 on the road tax.
Absolutely right. And fixing up a rough car will cost far more than RFL

John

The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post: