Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

National Tyres Track rod replacement horror

Views : 2955

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2017, 13:02   #1
elwyn

Exclamation National Tyres Track rod replacement horror

I had a anti-skid service required come up on my xc70 on Thursday evening and on Friday morning I took it to my independent Volvo garage to be checked. On the way the steering wheel took on an ever increasing angle from the horizontal so much so that when I reached the garage it was at 45 degrees when going straight. I also noticed that it was pulling to the right when accelerating anf to the left when decelerating.

The garage quickly diagnosed the fault. I had had the track rod ends replaced by National Tyres late December and the off- side one had worked loose with the nut just about to fall away. The nut had a serrated collar and no other locking mechanism. I was told that this kind of nut was used on exhaust brackets and NOT on track rods!!!

Once made safe I took the car back to National Tyres and they agreed to replace the "defective" track rod and told me that they might meet the £70 cost of diagnostics and repair by the Volvo people.

This track rod degenerated over a distance of less than 10 miles an if I'd driven it for longer I shudder to think of the consequences. I have no faith in National Tyres and certainly have no confidence in the security of the near side. I would warn all members to be careful when using these people!!!

Elwyn
elwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 13:13   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Too much of what you're describing is either ambiguous, open to misinterpretation or simply sounds untrue so to avoid confusion, do you have photos of exactly what part you're talking about?

P2 Volvo track rod end nuts don't have additional locking on them for example.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 13:45   #3
harveys
Master Member

The nut holding track rod to the hub i guess as it should be a Nylok nut.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 13:50   #4
elwyn

Yes I have a photograph taken on my phone. Given the constraints of forum posts I aimed to be as concise as I could be and I can assure Cheshired5 that I'm not a liar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170210_111816.jpg (85.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg track.jpg (134.4 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by elwyn; Feb 11th, 2017 at 13:56.
elwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 13:54   #5
harveys
Master Member

Looks like a simple, I lost the nut but this one will do....
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 14:43   #6
kenny
Master Member

In the old days there would have been a castle nut and a split pin on there but now you normally have a nylock nut. It is possible they lost the nut that came with the new track rod end and fitted one like it they had kicking around. they have bought a the cheapest track rod ends they could find and this is they type of nut that came with them and that they simply didn't tighten it properly. I would check the nut on the other side.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 15:03   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwyn View Post
Yes I have a photograph taken on my phone. Given the constraints of forum posts I aimed to be as concise as I could be and I can assure Cheshired5 that I'm not a liar
.... and I can assure you that I didn't say you were a liar.
A liar wilfully tells untruths.

It was the interchange of the terms track rod and track rod end which was confusing as the overall track rod is made up of a track rod inner and a track rod end.
Your issue was with the track rod end only.

I'm sure it isn't National Tyres policy to poorly fit a track rod end so tarring a nationwide company with the same brush over one incident seems a little unfair.
It currently looks like the poor workmanship of one employee or he fitted whatever came in the box and that part wasn't up to scratch but a few things could be the real reason.

Glad you're sorted though and barring soiled underwear, no further harm done.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 15:19   #8
Dancake
Premier Member

Those serrated nuts are terrible. The design of them means the surface area in contact with the opposing mating face is about half that of a standard nut. They are perhaps one of the worst fixings you could use on a track rod end, considering the nature of the steering movement.

I would imagine whoever fitted the track rod ends has assumed the nuts would be fine. Afterall, they are generally refeŕred to as locking nuts. They are ok for applications where movement or excessive vibration isn't present. If National Tyres were to pay for two new track rod ends and didn't charge for the labour to fit them, and they paid for the Volvo garage diagnostics etc, it would be a cheap lesson for them.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 16:16   #9
john f

I think that track rod is on a locking taper a morse type taper if there are engineers out there
If this is a taper set up the nut does no work it just retains the position under shock
Why the steering wheel position went out I don't understand
if this detached the road wheel would go floppy for want of a better word

John F
john f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 16:18   #10
john f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Those serrated nuts are terrible. The design of them means the surface area in contact with the opposing mating face is about half that of a standard nut. They are perhaps one of the worst fixings you could use on a track rod end, considering the nature of the steering movement.

I would imagine whoever fitted the track rod ends has assumed the nuts would be fine. Afterall, they are generally refeŕred to as locking nuts. They are ok for applications where movement or excessive vibration isn't present. If National Tyres were to pay for two new track rod ends and didn't charge for the labour to fit them, and they paid for the Volvo garage diagnostics etc, it would be a cheap lesson for them.
The serration is not on the locking face

John F
john f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john f For This Useful Post: