Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 XC90 AC dashboard switch

Views : 434

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2022, 15:44   #1
idainc

Default 2004 XC90 AC dashboard switch

Stuck in the on position. Seems it is a part of the lower console and a new one is $800 USD +. WD40 helped get it moving.

Appreciate any and all thoughts about how to just replace the switch ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1005.jpg (93.3 KB, 16 views)
idainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 17:29   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, you can buy a complete panel assembly (with switch) from ebay, very inexpensive.

At least that's what I would do in the UK.

Search XC90 climate control panel.

Hope this helps

John l

Last edited by john langrick; Jun 18th, 2022 at 17:32.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 18:07   #3
reggit
Premier Member

You can remove that panel and get the front off, it’s held on by clips if I remember that will give you access to the circuit board and micro switches that the buttons activate, you should then see if the fault is the micro switch or the plastic button sticking in the facia.

Disconnect vehicle battery if attempting any of this as you will set a permanent SRS code if the climate panel is disconnected with the vehicle battery attached.
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 00:40   #4
idainc

Thank you both. eBay in the US has the part for about $80 USD and there is a used Volvo parts retailer who has it for $95 USD. My concern is that the part has to be an exact match (no seat heaters etc.) if all the internal wiring is through a logic board so I need to get an exact match.

In all modes the AC is on ( governed by the thermostat) If I push the AUTO button it will turn it off but also disable the fan. I live in a very hot climate and I'll need the AC until about November and then the heat if my wife is in the car. The heat will run but with the AC on or just ambient circulation without the fan.

I cant seem to find the microswitches anywhere so If I have to disassemble the console I may as well just swap out the panel. I also have a radio bulb to replace.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 23:48   #5
idainc

Update -

Along with the climate panel issue the compressor died after 18 years. Had a shop replace it parts + labor was $700 USD. Pretty satisfied.

Back to the climate panel. The switch is still in the stuck position as it seems the spring inside failed. If I use the AUTO function with the temps on lowest setting I get cold air with the fan on its highest setting. If I lower the fan speed setting the AC on/off switch goes to red and the air blows cold. I cant decide if its the entire panel or just the switch so I bought a used one for $111 delivered that passed a scanner test before it was removed from the donor car.

I do not have heated seats and the reseller of used parts told me to pop out the heated seats switch caps and pop in my blank cap. Appreciate all thoughts.

https://www.erievovo.com/