Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 D3 XC60 - stuttering and no accel above 2000rpm

Views : 4020

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2019, 23:09   #1
macdoni93

Default 2012 D3 XC60 - stuttering and no accel above 2000rpm

Evening All,

I've had my XC60 for about 18 months and been happy as Larry (done 40k while I've had it - now up to 80k on the clock)
While driving along the dual carriageway at about 70-75 yesterday, it coughed slightly and felt less responsive - it would hold speed but wouldn't accelerate beyond it. It was 38degC outside and I wasn't sure if this might be part of the problem.
I got it home (no warning lights), and checked the air filter (fine) and drained the fuel filter (no water). There was a slight oil residue from a spigot on the air intake, engine side of the MAF sensor, which leads to a sensor with a square inner section (not sure what this is). The spigot had no clip so I cleaned the oily residue out and clamped the spigot with a jubilee clip.
Took it back out and no improvement - in fact it seems to have got worse, and the engine service light came on
I've now changed the fuel filter (only a year old but pretty discoloured) and bought an OBD2 reader - that shows error P00BD07E8 - which I can't find any reference to anywhere. With a new fuel filter it's less stuttery at low revs, but it still won't accelerate well past 2000rpm. It feels like the turbo isn't working, but I can hear some sort of induction noise (driving with stereo and air con switched off). I'm thinking a sensor problem, but given the dark colour of the fuel filter I'm wondering if some fine muck has got through the filter into the fuel system.

Any advice where to look next much appreciated, as the last time I stripped a motor it had carbs on it.....

Some info from the OBD reader at tickover (700rpm):-
FRP (psi) 5105 (6270@1500rpm)
EGR_PCT (%) 32.9 (26.3@1500rpm)
MAF (lb/min) 1.5 (2.0@1500rpm)

Recently it has stuttered very slightly when changing from first to second on a cold start - not sure if this is related

Thanks!
macdoni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 23:19   #2
Cozza
Cozza

Can I ask, what is your fuel level at? I had similar symptoms with low fuel (about 1/8 of a tank). Turns out to be low pressure pump in tank has failed.
Cozza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cozza For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 07:03   #3
piotrek

P00BD07E8 does not exist in VIDA, but I found very similar error code ECM-P00BD00.

Similar thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184724

VIDA description:
------------------------------------
ECM-P00BD00 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High. General Failure Information.
Diagnostic trouble code (DTC)

Condition
The engine control module (ECM) continuously monitors the mass air flow sensor signal for plausibility and checks that it is consistent with the mass air flow sensor characteristics.

The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the control module detects that:

◾The signal during comparison does not correspond with the calculated value.

The control module's test for the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) starts in the event of:
◾Engine running.

Note! The control module can only detect the fault once the test has been started and the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored when the conditions are met.

Substitute value

◾The control module uses a calculated value for the air mass.

Possible source
Note! If the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is generated together with ECM-P029900 there is leakage from the hose or connection between the turbo unit and the throttle module.

◾Leakage on hose or connection between turbo and inlet pipe.
◾Damaged mass air flow (MAF) sensor.

Fault symptom
◾Warning lights and chimes/Malfunction Indicator Light ("Check engine" light) indication/no indication

Last edited by piotrek; Jul 31st, 2019 at 07:11.
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 20:12   #4
macdoni93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozza View Post
Can I ask, what is your fuel level at? I had similar symptoms with low fuel (about 1/8 of a tank). Turns out to be low pressure pump in tank has failed.
Thanks for getting back - It's a quarter full. How was the pump diagnosed? The fuel pressure looks ok at tickover, but it's possible there's not enough getting through under load. Got a steer from a guy at work that it could be a split turbo hose, so it's up on the ramps tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 11:44   #5
macdoni93

Split turbo hose from intercooler to inlet manifold........
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 12:53   #6
macdoni93

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
P00BD07E8 does not exist in VIDA, but I found very similar error code ECM-P00BD00.

Similar thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184724

VIDA description:
------------------------------------
ECM-P00BD00 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High. General Failure Information.
Diagnostic trouble code (DTC)

Condition
The engine control module (ECM) continuously monitors the mass air flow sensor signal for plausibility and checks that it is consistent with the mass air flow sensor characteristics.

The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the control module detects that:

◾The signal during comparison does not correspond with the calculated value.

The control module's test for the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) starts in the event of:
◾Engine running.

Note! The control module can only detect the fault once the test has been started and the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored when the conditions are met.

Substitute value

◾The control module uses a calculated value for the air mass.

Possible source
Note! If the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is generated together with ECM-P029900 there is leakage from the hose or connection between the turbo unit and the throttle module.

◾Leakage on hose or connection between turbo and inlet pipe.
◾Damaged mass air flow (MAF) sensor.

Fault symptom
◾Warning lights and chimes/Malfunction Indicator Light ("Check engine" light) indication/no indication
Thanks for the info - I've found a split on the inlet manifold hose, at the intercooler end. New one on order - hopefully all back to normal tomorrow. Cheers!

Tags
maf sensor, obd2, stuttering, turbo issue, xc60