Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 mk3 Towbar electrics

Views : 1821

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2017, 17:10   #1
goliathv70

Default V70 mk3 Towbar electrics

I've recently installed a Volvo detachable towbar with the dedicated Volvo electrics with a 13pin connector next to the hitch.

The problem I'm having is when I plug a trailer board with an adaptor for its seven pin connector nothing works on the light board. The electrics are plug and play in the car so I cannot see there being a problem there. Everything looks to be plugged in correctly.

Can anyone confirm if Volvo need to activate anything on their diagnostics? If so is there anywhere/anyone who has this software outside of the dealerr network?

My car has previously had a towbar fitted and removed by the local dealer but I find it hard to believe they would have taken the time to remove any software if it is required.

Any advice is much appreciated.
goliathv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 17:28   #2
Billggski

Is the adaptor working, mine has to pushed in quite firmly? I had the software update as part of a service, not sure what was involved.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 17:44   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliathv70 View Post
I've recently installed a Volvo detachable towbar with the dedicated Volvo electrics with a 13pin connector next to the hitch.

The problem I'm having is when I plug a trailer board with an adaptor for its seven pin connector nothing works on the light board. The electrics are plug and play in the car so I cannot see there being a problem there. Everything looks to be plugged in correctly.

Can anyone confirm if Volvo need to activate anything on their diagnostics? If so is there anywhere/anyone who has this software outside of the dealerr network?

My car has previously had a towbar fitted and removed by the local dealer but I find it hard to believe they would have taken the time to remove any software if it is required.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Yes you must have a brand new trailer module and get the dealer to download the activation software .. You connected the orange wire to the fuse box ok? and fitted the 2 fuses and connected the white Earth wire to the chassis ??

Yes the dealer would have removed the software otherwise there would be a fault message in the dash about a missing trailer module .
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 18:11   #4
goliathv70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
Is the adaptor working, mine has to pushed in quite firmly? I had the software update as part of a service, not sure what was involved.
I cant rule it out yet but it is brand new but it did have a nice snug twist fit when I tried it.
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 18:20   #5
goliathv70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes you must have a brand new trailer module and get the dealer to download the activation software .. You connected the orange wire to the fuse box ok? and fitted the 2 fuses and connected the white Earth wire to the chassis ??

Yes the dealer would have removed the software otherwise there would be a fault message in the dash about a missing trailer module .
The towbar and electrics are used which I bought from a forum member but they do look like they've not been fitted for long so I'd be surprised if there was a fault there.

The wire to the back of the fuse box was a bit of a pain to fit but its in there nice and secure and the fuse tip sits snuggly in the connector and its also earthed to chassis. The two fuses are fitted and not burnt out.

So would I be correct in saying that with this software added and assuming everything is present and correct with the electrics, there should be life in the towboard after its been done?

Many thanks for your help.
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 23:36   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliathv70 View Post
The towbar and electrics are used which I bought from a forum member but they do look like they've not been fitted for long so I'd be surprised if there was a fault there.

The wire to the back of the fuse box was a bit of a pain to fit but its in there nice and secure and the fuse tip sits snuggly in the connector and its also earthed to chassis. The two fuses are fitted and not burnt out.

So would I be correct in saying that with this software added and assuming everything is present and correct with the electrics, there should be life in the towboard after its been done?

Many thanks for your help.
Only by using a new Trailer Module , you can't overwrite a used one . they are reasonably priced ..
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 12:16   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The OP purchased the towbar and TRM from me. I fully tested the TRM in my car (which already had a TRM fitted) and it worked perfectly so the TRM itself is not specifically programmed to the car. I've just tried disconnecting the green connector from my TRM which resulted in 2 errors appearing about trailer module and rear park assist. This tallies with Clan's explanation that the dealer removing the electrics must have disabled the functionality to prevent the message appearing.

Whether getting a dealer to re-apply the software to the car is sufficient to work with existing TRM I don't know, but its probably worth a try in the first instance as it sounds like it needs happen anyway. If unsuccessful, the probably new TRM (minus the loom may be the solution). Nothing seems straightforward when it comes to Volvo electrics these days . On the P2 models, the TRM was plug and play and only required a software update to disable the car foglight (if the driver so desired that option).
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 15:57   #8
goliathv70

Thanks for your advice guys.

When I get chance to run it to the dealer I will report back.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 15:33   #9
goliathv70

Today I've spoken to two local dealers who confirmed that you cannot re write a trailer module and they can only program a virgin unit with software ordered direct from Volvo for my car.

If this is the case I don't see why they are being sold all over ebay as used.

So the long and the short is in order to get my trailer board working I need a brand new unit as no dealer will even try write a used unit.

The way this is appears to be panning out I could have had a brand new Brink detachable kit with all the wiring and a twelve month warranty for about £30 more than I will have to spend in total to get it sorted.
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 12:49   #10
sandersc

Default Orange wire in fuse box

Hi

I am fitting a towbar on my Volvo and are really struggling withe getting the orange wire into the fusebox. Any suggestions?

Thank you Sanders
sandersc is offline   Reply With Quote