Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warranty Advice

Views : 1226

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2014, 08:07   #1
ADBS65

Default Warranty Advice

I pick my S60 D3 up on Monday, it has 2 months manufacturers waranty left to run. The car has a full Volvo service history and has done 40,000 miles. I have been offered an additional 12 months cover, using a Car Care Plan Ltd warranty, that will start when the manufacturers warranty ends for £150 (Should be £299?) Reading the cover provided it looks comprehensive. Anyone any experience of Car Care Plans, is it worth having?
Thanks Andy
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 09:21   #2
taylorc

Have you checked directly with Car Plan to confirm that this is the best price because you may well get the cover cheaper, you could also compare with the other independent warranty companies to see if it's good value....
My daughter purchased a Warrantywise policy for her 2004 CVT Mini for £598, this covers her for 2 years with zero excess and a claim limit of £3000 (it also has some extra cover benefit such as the emissions system). You can also tailor the policy to suit your requirements so I would recommend shopping around as you may get better cover elsewhere.

Previous MY13 XC60 D5 R-Design Lux Nav

Previous...Audi S3 DSG, Ford Focus ST3, Ford Focus ST170
taylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taylorc For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 15:37   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBS65 View Post
I pick my S60 D3 up on Monday, it has 2 months manufacturers waranty left to run. The car has a full Volvo service history and has done 40,000 miles. I have been offered an additional 12 months cover, using a Car Care Plan Ltd warranty, that will start when the manufacturers warranty ends for £150 (Should be £299?) Reading the cover provided it looks comprehensive. Anyone any experience of Car Care Plans, is it worth having?
Thanks Andy
Car Care plan have been working with volvo for many many years , so it is volvo approved , just read the small print and you will be fine ...
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 07:22   #4
ADBS65

Ok, thanks for your advice I have taken out the car plan warranty, this will start when the manufacturers warranty runs out in May.
I have never had a car with a manufacturers warranty before, can I take my Volvo to a dealer and have them check it has up to date software, has been subject of recalls etc for free or would as I expect they charge for this? Is there anything I should request they do or has been done before the Volvo warranty runs out?
thanks
Andy
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 08:06   #5
Arianne
Premier Member

If you have two months warranty left then the thing to do is get a Volvo dealer to do a thorough check of the car before the warranty expires. You didnt say whether you are buying the car from a volvo dealer or not. If it is a dealer then they should be happy to do this check for you. Otherwise I would take it to your nearest dealer, tell them that yiu have just bought the car and yiu are looking to check servicing costs with them and build a long term relationship. Then ask them to to the check. You also should use the remaining 6 to 8 weeks to spot anything wrong with the car.

All the best and enjoy your new car.

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Apr 12th, 2014 at 08:32.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arianne For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 09:35   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBS65 View Post
Ok, thanks for your advice I have taken out the car plan warranty, this will start when the manufacturers warranty runs out in May.
I have never had a car with a manufacturers warranty before, can I take my Volvo to a dealer and have them check it has up to date software, has been subject of recalls etc for free or would as I expect they charge for this? Is there anything I should request they do or has been done before the Volvo warranty runs out?
thanks
Andy
Volvo dealers do a free " health Check" you can ask for that , The only way to get the software updated is to have a volvo service where it is updated free as part of the service , except for the complete sensus infotainment system . To pay for just the software updates individualy as a seperate job would cost over £100 .Technicaly volvo dealers should not do an end of warranty check as such as it is against most manufacturers policy .
Regarding recalls they would automaticaly check those at your point of booking .
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 10:53   #7
craigv60
Master Member

I would double check and confirm that the warranty covers items such as the sensors on the DPF.

My own 2011 V60 D3 has been faultless, APART from when a pressure sensor on the DPF failed at 32,000 miles and 2 and a half years old.

This wasn't a problem, the car still ran and drove, BUT it took the Volvo main dealer three attempts and 6 days in the workshop to actually find the fault, because the fault code stored in the ECU was related to the EGR (exhaust gas recycling) system. The entire EGR and some pipework was replaced, and the car test driven for 80 miles and pronounced 'fixed' ... only for the problem to happen again.

This wasn't the fault of the mechanics - they're following factory procedure - but it's not always clear from the fault codes what the actual REAL problem is.

Because all this was under manufacturer warranty, I was fine, courtesy car etc etc but I estimate it cost around £2,000 in diagnostic time and parts before the fault was fixed.

For this reason, make sure the warranty covers you. It seems failing DPF sensors is a relatively rare occurence, but you don't want to be paying through the nose for it if it happens to you.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 10:59   #8
tickedon
Master Member

My suggestion would be to book a service in before your warranty expires. Get everything sorted and checked then. I'm sure the dealer won't mind you asking for them to give it a good check over!
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 11:33   #9
ADBS65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvo dealers do a free " health Check" you can ask for that , The only way to get the software updated is to have a volvo service where it is updated free as part of the service , except for the complete sensus infotainment system . To pay for just the software updates individualy as a seperate job would cost over £100 .Technicaly volvo dealers should not do an end of warranty check as such as it is against most manufacturers policy .
Regarding recalls they would automaticaly check those at your point of booking .
Hi, I have it booked in for a free health check Friday at Volvo dealers and they have told me they will check software etc as part of this as I am a new customer. ?..
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 11:34   #10
ADBS65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickedon View Post
My suggestion would be to book a service in before your warranty expires. Get everything sorted and checked then. I'm sure the dealer won't mind you asking for them to give it a good check over!
Please see above....