Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Finally... the wait is over! Let the fun begin

Views : 1576

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2014, 10:28   #11
Zavantas

Yesterday Evening we had some passengers (adults that is on the back seat). They were very happy, as long as the state of the road was perfect... not so when we travelled on 'kinderkopjes' (picture included), it was judged bone hard and everything but comfortable... Not so for the front passenger and driver (males in the front, women in the back... don't now if that is the reason)
Also the elevated seats in the back are great as it gives a good view forward. The tinted windows aren't really annoying regarding the view ability. But Belgium is not really a dark place, as we have lighting almost everywhere... and the camera is helping if really needed.
The AFL was tested on a small traject (need to find a place without to much light) and is really amazing! It is really illuminating the whole street and the sides. And you can clearly see some parts not illuminated (cars/reflecting boards)
The heated seats... I find them not so warm... this was way hotter in the VW Golf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 068.jpg (86.2 KB, 20 views)
Zavantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 17:26   #12
Flux
Premier Member

Glad you are enjoying.

About the suspension on R Design chassis. Yes, I agree, the ride is quite hard when you go over anything but an even surface. The car certainly rides a lot harder than my V70 R Design ever did even with wider tyres (low profile 245's on V70 over XC60's 235's).

Having said that, on a smooth road the XC60 does give a poised and competent ride but am surprised how harsh(ish) it cam be at times.

With hindsight I'm probably glad I didn't go for 20" wheels although they do look good. The 18" rims do keep the metal above the height of most kerbs so less chance (hopefully) of scraping them when parking.

Agree, tinted widows are fine and even with the black headlining it is still a very light cabin (due mainly to large front windscreen) and driver and passenger window being non tinted.
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 18:16   #13
Zavantas

The SunRoof is fantastic and the kids love it. Also the screen, that can be opened or closed by the push on a button, has got a great succes.

I'm thinking of taking 20" rims... but after some parts of our "high" quality roads... I'll stay with the 18" rims.
And indeed, it is almost impossible to scrape them.
Zavantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 23:06   #14
Arianne
Premier Member

Zavantas, lovely pics and write up. White was the other colour I seriously considered alongside Passion Red. It looks good.

I agree with you & Flux on the R-design suspension on what we call 'monoblock' road surfaces etc. And it's true that the rear passengers certainly feel it more than the front occupants - male or female makes no difference!

Regarding the 20" wheels - I am beginning to ask myself what the margin of difference really is between the 18" and 20" wheels. It seems that, even on 18" rims, the R-design suspension and stiffened chassis is delivering the harsher ride. I guess we would only know if one of us could do a side-by-side comparison. I've only driven 20" and R-design - dealer demonstrators and the actual car I bought.

Either way, the good news is all three of us love our new cars. Zavantas, I'll keep a look out for you when we pass through on our Summer Hols

Best wishes, Arianne
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 00:05   #15
inego

I drove an r-design with 18" around two blocks, so can't compare 18" and 20" on r-design suspension either. If my main running was on Belgian pave, there is no way I'd take either

I did two a couple of weeks in a luxury on 18", and the ride was miles ahead of the r-design, but it hardly felt as though there was a connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels. Drove fine, but I've never felt so seperate from the action before.

Just dawdling around the city I cringe over manhole covers and the like. But then I go around a bend and, of the two options, I'm glad I chose what I did.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 09:04   #16
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
... on what we call 'monoblock' road surfaces etc. ...
And there was me thinking that we called them cobblestones