Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VEA d4 glove test

Views : 2194

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2022, 17:28   #1
hi tower

Default VEA d4 glove test

About a month ago I bought a v40 d4 auto from a local large ish car dealer. I love the car, it drives and performs faultlessly.
I decided I would change the transmission fluid as there was no mention of it being changed in the service history. When I got under the car it was immediately obvious there was a significant oil leak down the back of the engine. The oil had blown along the floorpan and the plastic belly pan was full of congealed oil. Some oil has also got past the oil cap and is sat in the wells in the valve cover around the injectors.

I began researching this and other forums and became aware of the rubber glove test. I tried this and the glove stood up as soon as the engine was started. When I remove the pipe from the inlet ducting to the pcv valve a steady strong stream of blow by is emitted but there is no vacuum at the stub on the inlet ducting. So I deduce that the pcv valve is working ok but there is no vacuum at idle to draw the blow by gases away? I’ve also heard no one mention that the cap can be removed from the pcv valve to check the condition of the diaphragm inside and these can be ordered separately from several online sources. Mine was intact.

I was wondering if anyone has performed the rubber glove test on their vea engine and found vacuum at the oil filler? Is the crankcase supposed run under pressure? Anyone I’ve read about who has taken their car back to Volvo has been told the pressure is normal.

I’m just trying to get myself armed with the facts before the car goes back to the dealer on Tuesday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFD67D4C-0F05-4BC6-AC0B-D370D5FFF7D4.jpg (133.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg C6EFF91D-1DA0-46D5-92C6-392043BCF6DB.jpg (140.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by hi tower; Oct 8th, 2022 at 19:34.
hi tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 23:21   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

Even with healthy diesels there is a little bit of over pressure especially at cold startup when the tolerances are not optimally seated yet.
With gasoline engines there is vacuum due to the closed throttle and pvc behind it , so the inlet vacuum keeps the crankcase underpressured even do there is blowby.
So in your case the question is the pressure excessive? as a sidenote your engine is prone to cokedup pistonrings due to too small drain holes of the oil ring and if that is the case there could be more blowby then desired
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 08:00   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

There are two things that can make this look like something it isn't and worth checking first.

1 - Spillage from oil changes and top up's from the fill hole.

2 - Rocker cover gasket is leaking.

If she is blowing though you should be able to smell it in the engine bay after a good drive, it will naturally smell a bit but if it's good enough to get high on your concerns could be justified.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 10:08   #4
hi tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
There are two things that can make this look like something it isn't and worth checking first.

1 - Spillage from oil changes and top up's from the fill hole.

2 - Rocker cover gasket is leaking.

If she is blowing though you should be able to smell it in the engine bay after a good drive, it will naturally smell a bit but if it's good enough to get high on your concerns could be justified.
I presumed the oil on top of the valve cover was from spillages when filling or topping up until a mechanic pointed out it wasn’t clear new oil but dirty black oil from inside the engine.

There is also a lot of oil around a plastic junction in the inlet ducting at the back of the engine at the lowest point. Not sure if this has dripped onto the outside of the ducting or is seeping out from inside.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 10:15   #5
hi tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Even with healthy diesels there is a little bit of over pressure especially at cold startup when the tolerances are not optimally seated yet.
With gasoline engines there is vacuum due to the closed throttle and pvc behind it , so the inlet vacuum keeps the crankcase underpressured even do there is blowby.
So in your case the question is the pressure excessive? as a sidenote your engine is prone to cokedup pistonrings due to too small drain holes of the oil ring and if that is the case there could be more blowby then desired
The pressure at idle is enough to make the glove stand up but not inflate like a balloon. I wonder how much pressure there is at 2000rpm.

I am aware of the coked piston ring issue and the re design of the pistons and rings mid 2016 on petrol models. Don’t know if this applies to diesel models also. My car was registered in sept 2016.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:12   #6
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi tower View Post
The pressure at idle is enough to make the glove stand up but not inflate like a balloon. I wonder how much pressure there is at 2000rpm.

I am aware of the coked piston ring issue and the re design of the pistons and rings mid 2016 on petrol models. Don’t know if this applies to diesel models also. My car was registered in sept 2016.
I'm pretty sure he's correct and it will blow the glove up without there being anything wrong with the engine.

If it's what I thought then that would line up with the rocket gasket leaking lot's of them do this btw, it's also quite reasonable to suspect it's coming out of somewhere else I was just trying to avoid you handing over money to someone else for something you can do yourself.

First mission is to clean the area and then check it over a few hundred miles to see where it's really coming from, hth.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:27   #7
hi tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
I'm pretty sure he's correct and it will blow the glove up without there being anything wrong with the engine.

If it's what I thought then that would line up with the rocket gasket leaking lot's of them do this btw, it's also quite reasonable to suspect it's coming out of somewhere else I was just trying to avoid you handing over money to someone else for something you can do yourself.

First mission is to clean the area and then check it over a few hundred miles to see where it's really coming from, hth.
The car is still under the dealers 3 month warranty so hopefully that should cover the cost of any repairs. I read that replacing the rocker cover gasket is an £800 job at the dealers because of all the other gubbins that needs to be removed to get to it.

I had my friendly motor mechanic get it on the ramps and have a look. He cleaned everything down with brake cleaner and tried to spot where the oil was coming from. He said he couldn’t really see up the back without starting to remove ducting etc. His advice was to take it back to the dealer.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:38   #8
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
The car is still under the dealers 3 month warranty so hopefully that should cover the cost of any repairs. I read that replacing the rocker cover gasket is an £800 job at the dealers because of all the other gubbins that needs to be removed to get to it.

I had my friendly motor mechanic get it on the ramps and have a look. He cleaned everything down with brake cleaner and tried to spot where the oil was coming from. He said he couldn’t really see up the back without starting to remove ducting etc. His advice was to take it back to the dealer.
If you have warranty that's good but be aware they will clean it and tell you it's fixed for obvious reasons hoping next time you look it's out of warranty.

I'd stay put for a fortnight and if it's there again and you can't see where from take it back, just a thought the oil filter isn't anywhere near it is it? I ask because my Insignia constantly got mot noted for an oil leak, when I question where I was told "Dunno but it's on the driveshaft" the shaft was directly below a hard to reach without taking the arch liner out and I think the leak was actually where I hadn't wiped the driveshaft off after changing the oil & filter. It's also worth saying where you see it isn't always where it's coming from, air rushing through the underbay can push leaks to another area.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 16:39   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

The standard time for changing the cam cover rubber gasket on the D4204T VEA engine is 2.2 hours , I'm not sure where £800 comes from unless they fitted a new cover which includes the crankcase breather valve .

The cover vents crank case pressure into the air inlet hose to the turbo chargers so pressure should not build up in the engine.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 21:20   #10
hi tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The standard time for changing the cam cover rubber gasket on the D4204T VEA engine is 2.2 hours , I'm not sure where £800 comes from unless they fitted a new cover which includes the crankcase breather valve .

The cover vents crank case pressure into the air inlet hose to the turbo chargers so pressure should not build up in the engine.
Yes I think that did include a new cover. Doesn’t this need changing because it was re designed?

The pcv valve is venting fine but if you hold the glove or a piece of paper in front of the stub on the intake ducting there is no vacuum. Not at idle anyway. I know it’s not blocked because I put a borescope up there.

Last edited by hi tower; Oct 9th, 2022 at 21:22.
The Following User Says Thank You to hi tower For This Useful Post: