Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sooty Plugs, judder at low revs

Views : 16223

Replies : 148

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 22:46   #41
Georgey dee
Premier Member

We can take the cars down the car wash if we get time. Or just photoshop em. LOL
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 23:10   #42
AndysR
VOC Member

Well im better with a jetwash than I am photoshop!! Perhaps if it gets dirty enough it could pass as a black one!! lol
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 00:06   #43
infinity1

-george i posted this on another thread re a temp sensor,...-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just a quick one here.. as you know i have had some annoying probs with my r not running right,so i finally bit the bullet(very hard in jan!!) and booked the car in at rt(thanks john) mechs, he said no probs easily sorted,the main cause was the lambda light was on eratic idling loss of power etc
russ told me during a phone call that the coolant temp sensor which i had replaced with the one above was faulty,he said that as i wasnt a genuine bosch/volvo one it couldnt be gauranteed to work correctly!
so for the sake of a genuine volvo/bosch one which is about £10 more i would contact your dealer mate, not saying it wont work ,but 3 months of frustrastion later my cars running perfectly!
once bitten and all that!!

and i will add to this the new lambda sensor aswell!!! not cheapp but the hours of swearing are long gone now!!
infinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:43   #44
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
Eek - I doubt mine'll be in a very photogenic state by the time it gets there :-)

Good tips folks - I'll bring spares for just in case:

injectors
temperature sender
thermostat
lambda
MAF
plugs

Keep 'em coming - by my own admission fault finding on these cars isn't my main strength, that's for you folks! But swapping bits over now that I can have a go at...

Cheers, Pete
also take a fuel pressure check off engine idioling and reving as ull see if its that at fault straight away ,
fuel reg/feul pump ,injectors and a possible ecu change over ,,,,all the best
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 17:13   #45
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Thanks to all of the above I may have stumbled across the fault. I was sure that when I checked the fuel pressure last I had this fault and it was 44PSI. Now I'm not sure as the problem was as bad as it's ever been today, so I thought I'd go back and check the fuel pressure again.

Well,,,,,,, I got 36 PSI at the rail at tickover. According to Volvo it's supposed to be 43.511 PSI - 44 PSI at tick over.

Hmm. Looks like this may be the problem. My Question is now,,,,, How can low fuel pressure look so much like over fueling?? Also, is a 8 PSI drop enough to cause this?

And what do I change/check now to bring the pressure back up. Is it worth getting a new regulator or is it time for a new pump or is there anything to be serviced within the pump assembly???

Sorry a lot of questions there but I'm SO CLOSE!!! I can feel it.

LOL

Cheers

George

Last edited by Georgey dee; Jan 23rd, 2008 at 17:32.
Georgey dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 18:18   #46
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
Thanks to all of the above I may have stumbled across the fault. I was sure that when I checked the fuel pressure last I had this fault and it was 44PSI. Now I'm not sure as the problem was as bad as it's ever been today, so I thought I'd go back and check the fuel pressure again.

Well,,,,,,, I got 36 PSI at the rail at tickover. According to Volvo it's supposed to be 43.511 PSI - 44 PSI at tick over.

Hmm. Looks like this may be the problem. My Question is now,,,,, How can low fuel pressure look so much like over fueling?? Also, is a 8 PSI drop enough to cause this?

And what do I change/check now to bring the pressure back up. Is it worth getting a new regulator or is it time for a new pump or is there anything to be serviced within the pump assembly???

Sorry a lot of questions there but I'm SO CLOSE!!! I can feel it.

LOL

Cheers

George
hi pal i can only go on my pressures as they work in bar ,but if needed ill will re fit it 2moz and check ticker pressure and reving to engine to 3,4000rpm and write them down if it may help,
id make sure ur feul filter is replaced first as it maybe full or dirty bits from the fuel tank,then if its same go for a feul reg which im sure ive some ,if needed,u can check ur fuel reg by coupleing it to a foot pump/airline and make sure it blows off at 3bar,,any lower then theres ur fault,
id get a walbro 255high pressure pump ,ive fitted both my vechicals with them and the prime /return fuel very well,
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 19:43   #47
AndysR
VOC Member

If your 8 psi down at idle just think how much it could be down by when the fuel is in demand at higher engine speeds and the fuel pump can't provide a reserve of fuel. I have known of vehicles which appear to run fine at idle but when the engine speed increases and fuel is in more of a demand a poor fuel pump can't cope and misfiring and lack of power occurs. Bit of a silly question, because I would put money on it that you have anyway, but have you changed the fuel filter? Also did you fit it the right way round? Not that I am sure you can physically fit it the wrong way round on the 850 as I haven't actually looked at mine but a partically blocked or incorrectly fitted fuel filter could also give the problems you are experiencing.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 22:37   #48
RiPsTa33
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post

LOL

Cheers

George

Basically YES
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 00:38   #49
Georgey dee
Premier Member

I changed my fuel filter a couple of years ago so it may be due a change. I think I'll go for a new regulator and fuel filter next.

My next question is,,,,,, Is there any filters in the fuel pump assembly???

If so are they changeable???

Cheers

George
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:49   #50
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut View Post
hi pal i can only go on my pressures as they work in bar ,but if needed ill will re fit it 2moz and check ticker pressure and reving to engine to 3,4000rpm and write them down if it may help,
id make sure ur feul filter is replaced first as it maybe full or dirty bits from the fuel tank,then if its same go for a feul reg which im sure ive some ,if needed,u can check ur fuel reg by coupleing it to a foot pump/airline and make sure it blows off at 3bar,,any lower then theres ur fault,
id get a walbro 255high pressure pump ,ive fitted both my vechicals with them and the prime /return fuel very well,
If you could do that for me that would be great, then I woudl know what pressure yours is managing.

Cheers

George