Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Touch up paint

Views : 1467

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 15:36   #1
Ice Man

Hi all,

I have a few scraps on my wing mirrors and wanted to touch these up to make it look a little better.

The colour is uuummmm metalic dark red...not sure of the name on my 1995 T5.

Do i have to buy the paint sticks from Volvo are they better than the ones from my local motor factor ?

thanks
IceMan
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 16:26   #2
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

Default RE: Touch up paint

iceman

have a look at

http://www.volvoworld.com/

for the colour code, you can then get the touch up stick from halfords, let me know how you get on, need to do the trolley scratch on mine x(

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 17:13   #3
markas
VOC Member

Hi both,

I had both the touch-up brush and a can with laquer. The colour i found was much darker than the present as the whole body work as faded over time.

I tried using touchup here there and it stood out. With the can you will need to use a t-cut to blend it in with the colour and laquer, or it looks aweful.

You could try these dent'waway typr poeple who hair brush it. They do a few small touch ups for £50 quid.

Mark.
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:13   #4
ajm
Master Member

I recently touched-up some paint chips on my 850 (dark metallic green), using paint from the dealers. It comes in a (very reasonably priced) pack with one bottle of coloured paint and one bottle of lacquer.

I found the colour match to be extremely good, but it's very difficult to get the "level" of the paint right if it's a big chip - it's difficult to control the amount that comes off the little brush, sometimes leading to a big drop of paint sitting there, proud of the surface.

I found that repairs to the paint on the lower sections of the doors (which slope inwards slightly) are almost impossible to see, while the repairs on the bonnet are visible if you look for them. Quite unfortunate considering the enormous size of the bonnet and the number of chips! At least it should stop any rust from forming though, and that's my main concern.

Like another post suggested, I'm waiting to get some cutting polish before treating any more chips. I would heartily recommend getting your paint from the dealers though - the accuracy of the colour match and the very reasonable cost leave little reason for going elsewhere in my experience. (Pity they supplied copper sump plug washers instead of aluminium for a ridiculous sum at the same time though!)

AJ
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 16:51   #5
markas
VOC Member

Aj,

You were lucky in your match as i have the Onyx green metalic which is blue/green. As already mentioned i have both the touch-up and the can/laquer combo.

Mine has faded over the years, with my attempted spray job looking like a pigs ear :-(. So in the end i had to have it done at a Dealer bodyshop :-( £££.

Older and wiser now
Mark.
markas is offline   Reply With Quote