Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snapped Cam-belt Question

Views : 14190

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2013, 12:07   #41
Mark S60D5

Sorry pal but that sounds like damage has been done. Its clattery and when you revved it it sounded like a missfire was there. Probably ,as expected its bent a valve or two.
Mark S60D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 13:25   #42
CraigW

iv just had the same experience last week heading down the A1 in my xc90 but i has doing 80mph so instant damage to the engine that cant be fixed, picked up the new engine yesterday ready to go in next week.

what was the mileage any year of yours, iv rang volvo uk customer care and they say they have never ever had a tensioner fail ever and it was my fault for not going to a volvo garage for my last oil change/service.
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 15:37   #43
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S60D5 View Post
Sorry pal but that sounds like damage has been done. Its clattery and when you revved it it sounded like a missfire was there. Probably ,as expected its bent a valve or two.
Wishful thinking maybe, but could it be that it is not quite timed correctly?
I had the cam sprocket off and just lined it up by eye when I put it back on, as I didn't have the correct cam stop tool .
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 16:00   #44
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutgart69 View Post
Wishful thinking maybe, but could it be that it is not quite timed correctly?
I had the cam sprocket off and just lined it up by eye when I put it back on, as I didn't have the correct cam stop tool .
well it is impossible to get the timing right without the special tool if you take off the camshaft pulley ( any reason why you took it off ? ) . you will have to take off the vacuum pump , the tool is a dowel about 10mm dia on the end to fit into the cam gear and about 12mm diameter at the other end which fits in the head part .
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 16:16   #45
stutgart69
Master Member

I had made up my mind to take the head off after I had put on the new tensioner and turned the engine and found it to be a bit sticky. But someone pointed out that this was likely just the result of the compression,and I was encouraged to try starting it. I therefore had to put it back together (albeit not very professionally) .
The question now though is, is it possible that the rough running and smoking is simply a result of being slightly out of timing? Or is it more likely to be the cause of bent valves ?
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 16:18   #46
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I had made up my mind to take the head off after I had put on the new tensioner and turned the engine and found it to be a bit sticky. But someone pointed out that this was likely just the result of the compression,and I was encouraged to try starting it. I therefore had to put it back together (albeit not very professionally) .
The question now though is, is it possible that the rough running and smoking is simply a result of being slightly out of timing? Or is it more likely to be the cause of bent valves ?
The cam timing has to be correct before you move onwards ... can you hear a regular popping if you listen in the tail pipe ?
How did you line up the crankshaft ?
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 16:33   #47
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The cam timing has to be correct before you move onwards ... can you hear a regular popping if you listen in the tail pipe ?
I don't think so .
The crankshaft was simply lined up using the alignment marks .
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 16:36   #48
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I don't think so .
The crankshaft was simply lined up using the alignment marks .
if you had one valve bent/leaking you should be able to hear a regular pop in the exhaust when idling and listening at the rear into the tailpipe .
Its not that easy to line the crank marks up without taking the crank pulley off as the mark is on the outer part of the cambelt gear slightly behind the pulley .

Last edited by Clan; Sep 29th, 2013 at 16:49.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 16:46   #49
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
if you had one vale beny/leaking you should be able to hear a regular pop in the exhaust when idling and listening at the rear into the tailpipe .
Interesting Clan
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 16:51   #50
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Interesting Clan
if it is an exhaust valve bent that is , If an inlet valve press a listening stick against the inlet manifold on top the engine , you may hear something similar .