Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brand new V60 teething problems?

Views : 1265

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2019, 13:15   #1
westcountryjim

Default Brand new V60 teething problems?

Hello, I am new to Volvo haven driven VW for last 20 years.

I have a brand new (7 days old) V60 D4 manual Inscription Plus.

I have a worry on the fuel consumption and ask whether there is an initial running in period as I thought they were run in on bench? I appreciate it is only a week old with only 500 on the clock.

This is not a company car but one purchased with my hard earned retirement cash, so any problems are mine.

My last few cars have been Passat estates diesel manual 2.0L 150BHP and the last one got an accurate (measured at fill ups) 48.5 over 40K miles.

The Volvo's claimed consumption is slightly better than that claimed for the Passat.

To test the consumption I have driven it like the proverbial maiden aunt.

In heavy traffic on an eight mile journey through town I averaged 30. On a 40 mile drive on a dual carriageway, between 65 and 70 I averaged 45.

Do these figures seem acceptable?

One final bit of information which might be relevant. On at least 5 occasions over its short life the car has surged in traffic. What I mean by that is if going along at 20mph in stop/start traffic, if I brake, the car does not slow down as expected, it will continue at 1000 revs with no foot on the accelerator and no inclination to conk out with all feet off pedals.

What would be the cause of that and would it affect the wider fuel economy?

Thanks for any words of wisdom that might come my way!
westcountryjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 15:13   #2
finnster

I am picking up my D4 V60 on Friday, I fully expect that it will take a while for the car/engine to reach optimum fuel efficiency.

To be honest I don't know the science behind it, but no new car that I have ever had has been at full efficiency from day one, but I suspect it takes a while for everything to bed in and get proper coatings of (stuff?)

I have not had a brand hew diesel before, but my current Skoda Octavia which i bought with 8K miles on the clock didn't really start giving consistent good MPG until it had at least 12K on it.

Plus with heavy stop start traffic you are really going to begin to exploit a diesel at its best - 45mpg on the dual carriageway is pretty good I would be chuffed with that on a new engine.

I really wouldn't worry about it at all

I cant answer the surging query as I am assuming its an automatic, perhaps someone else could help you with that.
finnster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 16:04   #3
westcountryjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnster View Post
I am picking up my D4 V60 on Friday, I fully expect that it will take a while for the car/engine to reach optimum fuel efficiency.

To be honest I don't know the science behind it, but no new car that I have ever had has been at full efficiency from day one, but I suspect it takes a while for everything to bed in and get proper coatings of (stuff?)

I have not had a brand hew diesel before, but my current Skoda Octavia which i bought with 8K miles on the clock didn't really start giving consistent good MPG until it had at least 12K on it.

Plus with heavy stop start traffic you are really going to begin to exploit a diesel at its best - 45mpg on the dual carriageway is pretty good I would be chuffed with that on a new engine.

I really wouldn't worry about it at all

I cant answer the surging query as I am assuming its an automatic, perhaps someone else could help you with that.
thanks for that, but no it is manual gearbox.
The Following User Says Thank You to westcountryjim For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 17:48   #4
finnster

OK then I can only assume that the car is in too high a gear for the speed, its probably keeping the revs up to avoid stalling, maybe change down perhaps?
finnster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 16:35   #5
Toprivetguns

Welcome to the Volvo family. I never truly believe the figures published by the manufactures. I'd say you need more time to gain a true reflection of the cars efficiency.

Also was it a cold day? A/C demisting windows? Heated seats on? These are all factors that can reduce your economy.

In regards to the surging in traffic, phone your dealership and make the issue known. Being brand new they should be more than happy to help.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 16:55   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

My mpg is certainly disappointing against the official figures, but not too bad compared to other similar vehicles. I usually get high 40s and sometimes low 50s (calculated, the trip computer is noticeably optimistic!) so bang on trend... https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/by-vrm?vrm=BP64AMK
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 10:34   #7
EwenM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcountryjim View Post
Hello, I am new to Volvo haven driven VW for last 20 years.

I have a brand new (7 days old) V60 D4 manual Inscription Plus.

I have a worry on the fuel consumption and ask whether there is an initial running in period as I thought they were run in on bench? I appreciate it is only a week old with only 500 on the clock.

This is not a company car but one purchased with my hard earned retirement cash, so any problems are mine.

My last few cars have been Passat estates diesel manual 2.0L 150BHP and the last one got an accurate (measured at fill ups) 48.5 over 40K miles.

The Volvo's claimed consumption is slightly better than that claimed for the Passat.

To test the consumption I have driven it like the proverbial maiden aunt.

In heavy traffic on an eight mile journey through town I averaged 30. On a 40 mile drive on a dual carriageway, between 65 and 70 I averaged 45.

Do these figures seem acceptable?

One final bit of information which might be relevant. On at least 5 occasions over its short life the car has surged in traffic. What I mean by that is if going along at 20mph in stop/start traffic, if I brake, the car does not slow down as expected, it will continue at 1000 revs with no foot on the accelerator and no inclination to conk out with all feet off pedals.

What would be the cause of that and would it affect the wider fuel economy?

Thanks for any words of wisdom that might come my way!

I have a new V60 D3 with 7k miles which like you is my retirement car. The car seems to average high 50s low 60mpg on dual carriageway motorway driving and around 40mpg around town.
EwenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 20:51   #8
scbamber

Default V60 diesel consumption

Hi. My 2015 D4 manual took about 10-12k miles for consumption to improve but was pretty good even in that first year. Also a retirement present from me to me.

For the last 30k miles it has consistently averaged just over 52mpg (old style calculation of cumulative miles and litres put in). It is almost never used for less than a 25 mile trip of which 6 miles are in town, and often a 40 mile trip. With a very light foot or cruise control on a dual carriageway at 60mph the MyCar trip computer shows it doing over 62 over journeys ranging from 20-80 miles. A faster mixed motoring trip does about 50-51.Things improve in summer and drop a bit in winter with heated seats on (lovely!), more lights on, and lots of aircon to keep winter condensation away. Normal tyre pressures.

I'm very pleased with the whole car.

The not slowing down when you brake sounds very strange indeed, assuming you pressed the pedal enough. Remember that the engine has so much torque that it will drive at 1000rpm without complaining or vibrating.

Last edited by scbamber; Nov 20th, 2019 at 21:11. Reason: Additional comment
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 08:14   #9
westcountryjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwenM View Post
I have a new V60 D3 with 7k miles which like you is my retirement car. The car seems to average high 50s low 60mpg on dual carriageway motorway driving and around 40mpg around town.
I will use this as my benchmark!
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 08:16   #10
westcountryjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post

For the last 30k miles it has consistently averaged just over 52mpg (old style calculation of cumulative miles and litres put in). It is almost never used for less than a 25 mile trip of which 6 miles are in town, and often a 40 mile trip. With a very light foot or cruise control on a dual carriageway at 60mph the MyCar trip computer shows it doing over 62 over journeys ranging from 20-80 miles. A faster mixed motoring trip does about 50-51.
And will use this as benchmark as well!