Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593760

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread : Lojzek

Old Nov 13th, 2019, 21:26   #2281
Sadowner

Hi all, been reading this thread over the last couple of weeks. And I’ve had orange check light on for last 4 weeks. It’s booked into Volvo Abergavenny next week. It’s a Volvo XC60, registered in January 2016 which I bought in July this year. It’s done 31000 miles and been serviced by Volvo. When the light first come on I called Volvo assist. The mechanic put his laptop on, said nothing major has come up and reset it. He said it would probably come back on and I should take it to Volvo.
Last week I asked a mechanic I’ve used for years to come and read codes. He did. Code PD 4D 9-00. I asked him could he tell if it was reset, he said it was. I’m assuming it was reset by Volvo assist. Why didn’t he say anything about it?
When I booked the car in with Volvo garage I was told they would change the cooler for free, if the valve needed changing I would be charged £90+vat to fault find on their computer. And I would have to pay the whole cost of the valve.
The car runs fine. It’s mainly used by my wife on short runs. I know I will need to take it out for a run every couple of weeks. The car will automatically regent on a run? Is there any way to tell if the regen has happened when I’m in the car? Nothing to do with cooler issue, I’m only getting 36mpg. Is this what is expected driving around town. Sorry about the ramble but this was going to be my retirement car.
Sadowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 22:00   #2282
SeaShell

Stuby,

As far as I know the current recall check involves checking the inlet manifold and replacing if it is sooted up. If the cooler is blocked a compression rest needs to be done to find out why, I believe fouled inlet valves can be either a part of or a result of the problem.

If the car fails the compression test then the head needs removed and the inlet valves replaced.

I had mine done about 2 months ago all covered by Volvo.

Car was 4.5 years old with 80k on the clock.

Unfortunately I was informed that the issue will likely return as this was a repair and not a permanent solution.

Keep pushing and hopefully Volvo will cover your repair costs.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 22:31   #2283
Sadowner

Thanks Seashell,when I first started to read about the check warning light, things just seem to be getting worse. It’s like I need things to go wrong with my car before it gets to old and Volvo can wash there hands of any responsibilities.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 23:22   #2284
Stuby

The manifold was replaced as I was given a car for the weekend while this was done but was done the next day.
While they were waiting for parts.

The plot thickens on this one.

All I know is I’m innocent and paying the price.

For a badly designed EGR solution.

Cheers SeaShell
Stuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 23:38   #2285
Sadowner

I spent 5 months looking for my car. 1 owner, Low mileage, Volvo history. A car to last me well into the next 10 years. 3 months later I got a car that has terrible design faults that just seem to be getting worse.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 09:00   #2286
ChrisFromFrance

Don't forget .

A document from the European Commission about our problem.
This document is the source of the Volvo recall R29939.

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consu...1102/19&lng=en
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 23:47   #2287
Ian W XC60

Just picked this up on Honest John:

" 14-11-2019: Volvo has submitted to the DVSA its cure for the EGR Cooler issue with VEA diesel engines. These are: A redesigned EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) coolant circuit to achieve engine working temperature faster; this will prevent excessive soot developing in the engine intake manifold system; New soot reducing software; Cleaning of temperature/pressure sensors. Volvo emphasises that there have only been a small number of reports of intake manifold failure, a subset of which have led to engine bay fires. Volvo is confident that the corrective action offers a robust solution."
Anyone any thoughts on whether this is a fix or a fudge?
Whilst there may only be a small number of manifold failures there certainly seem to be a much bigger number requiring major remedial work to get rid of excess soot in places it shouldn't be.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 09:19   #2288
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian W XC60 View Post
Just picked this up on Honest John:

" 14-11-2019: Volvo has submitted to the DVSA its cure for the EGR Cooler issue with VEA diesel engines. These are: A redesigned EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) coolant circuit to achieve engine working temperature faster; this will prevent excessive soot developing in the engine intake manifold system; New soot reducing software; Cleaning of temperature/pressure sensors. Volvo emphasises that there have only been a small number of reports of intake manifold failure, a subset of which have led to engine bay fires. Volvo is confident that the corrective action offers a robust solution."
Anyone any thoughts on whether this is a fix or a fudge?
Whilst there may only be a small number of manifold failures there certainly seem to be a much bigger number requiring major remedial work to get rid of excess soot in places it shouldn't be.
I vote fudge. This is not the first time that Volvo have fiddled with the VEA EGR coolant circuit to try and cure the soot accumulation problem caused by the non-AdBlue versions needing to pass relatively huge volumes of EGR to meet the Euro 6 NOx limit. But if they can keep fobbing us and the DVSA off for a few more years then natural attrition will make the problem go away.

I'm still angry that I had to pay £337 towards a replacement EGR valve. In the near future i was going to treat myself to a brand new Volvo with my pension lump sum, but not anymore.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 09:26   #2289
Chrisv60

Disappointing if that's it.

The redesigned cooling system was presumably the work that was done for the 'final fix' which didn't work.

So it boils down to a software tweak and cleaning of the sensors which presumably will be chargeable.

On the plus side, it will remove the outstanding recall notice when selling the car.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 15:01   #2290
Ian W XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
Disappointing if that's it.

The redesigned cooling system was presumably the work that was done for the 'final fix' which didn't work.

So it boils down to a software tweak and cleaning of the sensors which presumably will be chargeable.

On the plus side, it will remove the outstanding recall notice when selling the car.
I read it differently, Chris.
My interpretation is that the "final" fix was the same abject failure as the 2 previous fixes and a 2nd "final" fix is now in the pipeline, AFAIK all work to rectify a SAFETY recall should be done FOC at Volvo's expense.
Time will tell which is right.

Not surprised Zebster is annoyed at being charged for previous EGR work, as it all looks linked in to a major Volvo c0ck-up with the pre-adblu D4 engines. Not on their own in that respect but a little honesty and openness from Volvo wouldn't go amiss!