Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon failing

Views : 3134

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 09:22   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian W XC60 View Post
You and clan are way ahead of me in the technicalities of the Air Con but mine needed doing in spring 2018 at 3.5 years old.
As the weather got warmer I noticed the AC wasn't cooling, did some research on t'interweb and got a firm called Coolcar who did a service on it at home for £69. It's worked perfectly since and if you check their site the service includes more than just a regas.
They're a franchise operation but don't have national coverage so whether they cover your neck of the woods or whether, you'd want to use them given your DIY skills I don't know but the price seemed very reasonable for about an hours work + travel.
very unusual , you must have a very small leak somewhere , The AC service guy should have done a leak test by pressurising the empty system with nitrogen gas , It is a legal requirement that this is done as part of their certification .

No it is not possible that the factory did not put enough in , the factory AC filling machines sent the exact amount of gas used to the cars build sheet file which is viewable at every dealer . I'm sure the dealer would have done it at no cost goodwill so soon out of warranty .
I guess you will know if you have a leak in 2022 !
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 00:08   #12
Ian W XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
very unusual , you must have a very small leak somewhere , The AC service guy should have done a leak test by pressurising the empty system with nitrogen gas , It is a legal requirement that this is done as part of their certification . According to the paperwork, a test was done as you describe but no leak found, and as I'm sure replacing/repairing a leak would have been a chargeable extra, I have no reason to doubt it.
Their website says AC (on any car not just Volvo) can lose up to 15% coolant per annum, whether that's true or simply something to encourage business I really don't know.

No it is not possible that the factory did not put enough in , the factory AC filling machines sent the exact amount of gas used to the cars build sheet file which is viewable at every dealer . I'm sure the dealer would have done it at no cost goodwill so soon out of warranty . My local dealer wouldn't, a complete waste of space, hence why it's serviced by one some distance away. 60 mile round trip on the off chance of goodwill or £69 for a home visit, hmmm let me think?
I guess you will know if you have a leak in 2022 !
Someone might but it won't be me as it roughly coincides with the next D4 major engine rebuild being due for the gunge build up which I'm fairly sure Volvo won't pick up the tab for next time around.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 18:52   #13
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Yes volvos have the dye in the system from the factory the only condensers which are suspect are the ford based ones .

It is a bit difficult to do a performance test when the Ambient temperature is near zero ... you could put it on and go under the bonnet and feel the two Alloy AC pipes the small one should be warm and the large one noticeably cold like ice .
I haven't noticed any further problems in the last week, although I have only used the car a couple of times.

This evening I did try feeling those two alloy AC pipes... left the car idling for a few minutes with the interior temperature set to 'LO' and fairly cold air blasting into the cabin, then found that the smaller pipe was around ambient, while the larger one was noticeably cooler (but not cold like ice). But the outside temperature was only 4 degree C. Should that larger pipe still have felt icy cold?
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 22:00   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I haven't noticed any further problems in the last week, although I have only used the car a couple of times.

This evening I did try feeling those two alloy AC pipes... left the car idling for a few minutes with the interior temperature set to 'LO' and fairly cold air blasting into the cabin, then found that the smaller pipe was around ambient, while the larger one was noticeably cooler (but not cold like ice). But the outside temperature was only 4 degree C. Should that larger pipe still have felt icy cold?
the small pipe should be noticeably " warm" and the large one noticeably " cold " however if the air going in is 0C like today the AC cooling shuts down considerably but still cools ...
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 08:06   #15
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
the small pipe should be noticeably " warm" and the large one noticeably " cold " however if the air going in is 0C like today the AC cooling shuts down considerably but still cools ...
Well it wasn't much above zero outside, so i wouldn't expect the AC to provide much cooling. But the lack of dehumidifying was the real problem I originally encountered that is obviously still a major requirement on a cold day.

Thanks to all for input. I'll keep an eye on it.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 10:56   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Well it wasn't much above zero outside, so i wouldn't expect the AC to provide much cooling. But the lack of dehumidifying was the real problem I originally encountered that is obviously still a major requirement on a cold day.

Thanks to all for input. I'll keep an eye on it.
You haven't got the "Recirc" button pressed have you? This will give increased condensation on the inside of the car. The A/C system will override this when you switch to demisting the screen, it should also set the temperature to maximum so you get hot, conditioned (dehumidified) air onto the screen for maximum demisting.

Many manufacturers do a system evacuation and reciever/dryer renewal followed by a regas at 24k miles/2 years in the service schedule, however some dealers conveniently "forget" this so check your service bills to see if it's been done. If it has (allegedly) been done and you put your car into the dealer and they say it's low on gas without finding any leaks/damage to the system, it's entirely possible they haven't actually done the work they've charged for or not done it properly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:32   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You haven't got the "Recirc" button pressed have you? This will give increased condensation on the inside of the car. The A/C system will override this when you switch to demisting the screen, it should also set the temperature to maximum so you get hot, conditioned (dehumidified) air onto the screen for maximum demisting.

Many manufacturers do a system evacuation and reciever/dryer renewal followed by a regas at 24k miles/2 years in the service schedule, however some dealers conveniently "forget" this so check your service bills to see if it's been done. If it has (allegedly) been done and you put your car into the dealer and they say it's low on gas without finding any leaks/damage to the system, it's entirely possible they haven't actually done the work they've charged for or not done it properly.
I definitely didn't have the 'recirc' button engaged when I first encountered the problem with misting up... it was the first thing I checked! But thanks for that other advice, unfortunately I got no paperwork when I bought the car (other than the stamped service book) so I haven't got a clue if it's ever been regassed.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 12:16   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I definitely didn't have the 'recirc' button engaged when I first encountered the problem with misting up... it was the first thing I checked! But thanks for that other advice, unfortunately I got no paperwork when I bought the car (other than the stamped service book) so I haven't got a clue if it's ever been regassed.
Always worth checking that, we've all done it i'm sure!

Along similar lines, do you have a cabin filter and if so, is it blocked?

If so it can almost "force" a default recirc situation, again cabin filters are often forgtten at service time, especially for cars that were originally lease cars as they only pay for the bare minimum servicing.

Gives them the service stamps but if the paperwork has disappeared, you never know if something has been deliberately missed off like screenwash because it saves them tuppence-ha'penny and a brass farthing.

Yes, they really are that tight!

Even down to a quick squirt of silicone lube spray in the locks, latches and hinges, they'd rather pay for new locks or latches because usually the car is sold at 3 years old, before the failure of those items through lack of lube.

You can imagine their view on a new reciever/dryer and evacuation/regassing of the A/C system!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 15:06   #19
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

My main dealer has never touched the AC as far as I am aware in 5 services.
Come to think of it neither did BMW when I owned on of their money pits!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 15:29   #20
cheshired5
Premier Member

Has the cabin filter been checked?
If it is damp and/or clogged that can cause condensation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: