Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230e to b230ft

Views : 1106

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 15:13   #21
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Thankyou. As nice as it would be to have a turbo it would be a shame to change such a low mileage b230e. I'll look into manifolds and headwork for now and go from there. I'm an absolute novice when it comes to mechanics so currently searching for someone who knows their way around a Volvo in Hertfordshire, London area
Thanks again.
I'll keep you updated
K jet does adapt well. I would stick to mild porting, cam and increase the CR. Ignition is done via an EZK so hard to change it beyond rotating the dizzy a little but that is something you could look at later on
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 15:30   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The axle is not being changed so there is no issue. You are thinking about a problem that is not there
On the contrary, you're missing a problem that most definitely will be there - the B230FT was NOT available in the 740 and requires 48 pulses per turn of the wheel to assess speed correctly.
If it is a non-ABS car, it will give 12 pulses per turn of the wheel, if it has ABS it will give 96 pulses per turn before the converter and 12 after on the back of the instruments.
This will give a false reading to the speed input circuits of the LH2.4 Jetronic ECU.

However, you're right about one thing - the problem won't be there as the OP has decided to go for a bit of mild tuning on the B230E instead so no EFi will be going near this car and therefore no problems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 16:42   #23
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
On the contrary, you're missing a problem that most definitely will be there - the B230FT was NOT available in the 740 and requires 48 pulses per turn of the wheel to assess speed correctly.
If it is a non-ABS car, it will give 12 pulses per turn of the wheel, if it has ABS it will give 96 pulses per turn before the converter and 12 after on the back of the instruments.
This will give a false reading to the speed input circuits of the LH2.4 Jetronic ECU.

However, you're right about one thing - the problem won't be there as the OP has decided to go for a bit of mild tuning on the B230E instead so no EFi will be going near this car and therefore no problems.
In my understanding the ECU only cares about movement. I feed the B230FT ECU 4 pulses per revolution in the 360, generated in the mechanical speedo and that appears to keep it happy. It doesn't know what gear it is in, so why should it really care?

If you don't feed it any pulses and the throttle is wide open it gets unhappy and punishes you with a super high idle.

Still the use of the speed sensor is unknown, except for keeping idle high until you stop on a cold day. Why it does that noone seems to know.

For speed measurement for the speedo it would be important.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 18:50   #24
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
In my understanding the ECU only cares about movement. I feed the B230FT ECU 4 pulses per revolution in the 360, generated in the mechanical speedo and that appears to keep it happy. It doesn't know what gear it is in, so why should it really care?
Exactly this
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 22:35   #25
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

If you are thinking of buying a 940 as a donor you could always swap the axle if that's a problem. The ratio from the donor might be more suitable anyway. There are quite a few differences between pre 95 940's compared with the earlier ones so a pre 95 with the main fuel pump under the car might be more suitable. You won't then get the m90 gearbox though.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 22:50   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Still the use of the speed sensor is unknown, except for keeping idle high until you stop on a cold day. Why it does that noone seems to know.
Noone? Nobody? Nowhere?

Speedometer signal. Vehicle speed signal from the speedometer. Used to adjust idling speed during engine braking and for constant idle speed compensation.

Copy/pasted from :

https://ipdown.net/wiki/index.php?title=LH_2.4_Jetronic

It's the correct reason too. What isn't mentioned is that all that helps with emissions and helps prevent unburned fuel entering the cat which can overheat and/or poison the cat.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 16:39   #27
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Noone? Nobody? Nowhere?

Speedometer signal. Vehicle speed signal from the speedometer. Used to adjust idling speed during engine braking and for constant idle speed compensation.

Copy/pasted from :

https://ipdown.net/wiki/index.php?title=LH_2.4_Jetronic

It's the correct reason too. What isn't mentioned is that all that helps with emissions and helps prevent unburned fuel entering the cat which can overheat and/or poison the cat.
Yes, but its keeps it slightly high from cold until you stop, even if you don't stop for 30 minutes after it is warmed up. After that the idle during braking isn't any different to stopped (normally one should have the engine engaged although for Hypermiling I coast alot), maybe its more relevant for automatics. Idle is detected during throttle closed switch, it doesn't need the speed sensor for that.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 16:51   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, but its keeps it slightly high from cold until you stop, even if you don't stop for 30 minutes after it is warmed up. After that the idle during braking isn't any different to stopped (normally one should have the engine engaged although for Hypermiling I coast alot), maybe its more relevant for automatics. Idle is detected during throttle closed switch, it doesn't need the speed sensor for that.
It's not used when the engine is cold, the ECU is using a different map then. As for idling during braking, you should be in gear during braking, the speed sensor is there for different reasons to the TPS idle switch.

As for hypermiling, i'm glad you have success with it, i've tried it over 35 years in various different cars with different injection systems (Bosch L-Jetronic, LE-Jetronic, Lucas which was Bosch L-Jet under licence, Bosch LH2.2, Bosch LH2.4, Bosch Motronic early c.1990, Bosch Motronic later c.1997, Honda PGM-Fi and probably a couple of others i can't think of now) and i've never had such good mileage as when i drive how i normally drive.

Old Feb 13th, 2022, 15:55   #29
panda529e699

Default B230E to Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Hello all.
I have a lovely 1988 740 2.3gle with the b230e engine. It is a great engine but I am considering putting a b230ft engine in it that I'll hopefully find in a 940.
I have been looking around for advice but can't seem to find anyone who is knowledgeable in doing this conversion. I am in Hertfordshire but don't mind travelling. Could anyone recommend someone please.
Many thanks.
All the best
Joe
Hi
I was following on from previously, I did say I would put some info on when I had finished my K-Jet turbo.
I did get the B21ET fuel distributer and air filter housing, along with the fuel pipes, I couldn,t get it to run right at all with the warm up regulator connected wrong.
So I put it back to the later pics, but using the bigger B21ET fuel distributer under the inlet manifold. I was able to adjust it this way, and get the exhaust gases right with my modest DIY meter.
I will most likely try and put it like pic 1 again, now I’ve got the fuel distributer set up somewhere near although in a different location.

Keeping the fuel distributer under the manifold was an idea I found online, apparently a chap from IPD did it with a 240.

I moved the battery to the passenger side so just need to sort out a washer bottle.
I replaced the sump for one with a purpose made oil return fitting in it, which was handy.

The parts I needed for phase 1 were.
Intercooler
Turbo exhaust manifold,
Oil cooler,
sump
coolant hoses for the turbo and oil hoses.
B19ET fuel distributer.
Mitsuibishi Turbo
Warm up regulator from B21ET engine.
Exhaust front pipe from B19ET, which needed extending by about 4 inches.

One of the mistakes I made was to connected the flow and return to the warm up regulator the wrong way, that delayed me a bit, so its got the vacuum line on for boost enrichment I believe.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/g8dXNHt
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 16:14   #30
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
Hi
I was following on from previously, I did say I would put some info on when I had finished my K-Jet turbo.
I did get the B21ET fuel distributer and air filter housing, along with the fuel pipes, I couldn,t get it to run right at all with the warm up regulator connected wrong.
So I put it back to the later pics, but using the bigger B21ET fuel distributer under the inlet manifold. I was able to adjust it this way, and get the exhaust gases right with my modest DIY meter.
I will most likely try and put it like pic 1 again, now I’ve got the fuel distributer set up somewhere near although in a different location.

Keeping the fuel distributer under the manifold was an idea I found online, apparently a chap from IPD did it with a 240.

I moved the battery to the passenger side so just need to sort out a washer bottle.
I replaced the sump for one with a purpose made oil return fitting in it, which was handy.

The parts I needed for phase 1 were.
Intercooler
Turbo exhaust manifold,
Oil cooler,
sump
coolant hoses for the turbo and oil hoses.
B19ET fuel distributer.
Mitsuibishi Turbo
Warm up regulator from B21ET engine.
Exhaust front pipe from B19ET, which needed extending by about 4 inches.

One of the mistakes I made was to connected the flow and return to the warm up regulator the wrong way, that delayed me a bit, so its got the vacuum line on for boost enrichment I believe.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/g8dXNHt
I can supply you with a washer bottle from a 940 turbo.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: