Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking sensors help

Views : 996

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2021, 19:30   #1
mnicholls

Smile Parking sensors help

Hi I just bought my first Volvo and it's an XC90 need the space for growing family!!
It has parking sensors, the rear ones seem to come on when really close and the front ones not all! Even when about 5cm away from object? Should I have front sensors or side sensors? The light is on for park assist.

It's a 2011 SE model
Thank you

Last edited by mnicholls; Oct 14th, 2021 at 20:59.
mnicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 06:50   #2
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile oem or aftermarket?

Well.. firstly welcome to (the safer world..) of volvos if you havent had one before..

Do you think the sensors are oem volvo or is there a possibility they have been fitted to the car ? big clue here will be are you getting the audio beep ing thru the sound system speakers ? the factory fit ones usually start making a noise at a fair distance, i would think maybe a metre from solid objects that can reflect sound..not sure about the setup on that year but usually there is a pam module in the rear bumper area thats doing the figuring out of signals from the 4 sensors and pushing data onto the canbus,,
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:27   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicholls View Post
Should I have front sensors or side sensors?
It's a 2011 SE model
Thank you
No, you don't necessarily have front sensors. They were a factory fitted option, specified at purchase. Volvo did provide an after market kit for a few years, so it's also possible that could have that fitted. Franky, just go look! If you don't see four circular sensor disks in the front bumper (the two sensors, one each side of the number plate carrier are the most obvious) then you don't. Whilst the front and rear sensors wrap around a little, there are no specific side sensors.

Quote:
The light is on for park assist.
Then there's no point in discussing whether the activation behaviour of yours is currently normal. There's a fault in the system. Could be that the front set (if you have them fitted) has a break/disconnect/short in the sensor wiring loom or ditto at the back. Could be one or multiple sensor failures. Could be the parking sensor module itself (although that is a far less common failure). The only way to be certain is to have the car's diagnostic codes read. VIDA/DICE (Volvo's tool for this) can determine which sensors/modules are affected, so you don't have to guess. That said, there's no harm in checking the security of connections and state of wiring visually too.

Last edited by Moose Test; Oct 15th, 2021 at 09:29.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 15:22   #4
mnicholls

Thank you for your replies so far!
This is my first Volvo and loving it can see why people only by Volvo now.

Ill have a look at my front bumper, I will re test distance on rear. May be worth my while contacting where I bought it to ask them to check over as still under warranty (avoids me paying then).

The beeps come from the speakers depending which side object is.

Interestingly looking online it suggests my Volvo should have it as standard? Not sure how accurate that is
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 21:19   #5
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Interestingly looking online it suggests my Volvo should have it as standard? Not sure how accurate that is
I'm not sure where you're seeing that but I don't believe it is accurate. "Front Park Assist" was an accessory option. It wasn't included as standard at any trim level, it had to be ordered via the dealer at the time of ordering, or fitted by the dealer as an after sale. The same scenario as the rear parking camera.

That's why you see comparatively few XC90s fitted with it. It's quite a rare equipment option, as the options go.
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 09:07   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I have the PAC camera (option) and the rear sensors (standard) but no front sensors. I so wish I had the front sensors....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 10:02   #7
cbv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I have the PAC camera (option) and the rear sensors (standard) but no front sensors. I so wish I had the front sensors....
I bought some aftermarket front park sensors a while ago but but have yet to fit them these are lovely tanks but i think they should have had front p/s fitted as standard
cbv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 21:48   #8
mnicholls

Thank you I have checked front bumpers and no sensors that I could see. I decided to double check with Volvo and yes no sensors. I'm very surprised that only the rear ones are standard equipment considering the size of the vehicle. Also when I read reviews before buying it said came with both which confused the matter more.

Regarding the rear distance I think as long as they kick in before I get too near should be fine just monitor it.

Thank you for all help.
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 22:51   #9
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Regarding the rear distance I think as long as they kick in before I get too near
And with the system showing a warning in the DIM, how are you going to know that they'll kick in? Every time? Certainly, the large jolt and crunching noise is there as a back up system but..

If it's still under warranty and the dealer isn't an unreasonable distance from you, I'd be asking them to resolve it.
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 11:43   #10
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Just a quick thought. They engage when you select reverse it make no noise until you are quite close. The solid tone cuts in at a point you can normally get the boot open still. You can tell they are active as the radio display states “park assist active” or words to that effect.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote