Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vacuum Problem?

Views : 1003

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2021, 13:56   #1
Tim xc70

Default Vacuum Problem?

Hi,

I have posted this on a XC70 specific forum, but thought I might try to widen my search. I have a strange noise from my 2011 D5 in my XC70 and I suspected it was a vacuum issue. I removed the pump and replaced the seals but it is still the same.
With the brake booster pipe disconnected from the vacuum pump and the hole blocked I get a steady strong vacuum reading, but with the pipe connected, the vacuum meter needle flicker's So indicating a fault in the booster or pipework in that direction.
On the other hand, the popping/rattling noise is strong when the hole is blocked with the steady vacuum, and vanishes with the brake vacuum line removed from the vacuum pump.
Is anyone able to suggest what is going on? The two scenarios seem contradictory.
Link to how it sounds:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deql5fLjHXY[/YOUTUBE]
Cab anyone suggest what it might be?
Thanks,
Tim.
Tim xc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 15:13   #2
Tim xc70

Default Solved

Tiny nipple in the non return valve had perished. Replaced and now sounds perfect!
Tim xc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim xc70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 23:26   #3
Kattten

I have a similar issue on my D3, where is the nipple located? And did the nipple help any other than sound?
Kattten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 11:46   #4
Father Ted
Master Member

Second request for "nipple" location. I have a D5 XC90 and have the noise associated with vacuum issue, but no noticeable vacuum issue. Be nice to resolve this.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 11:32   #5
mr tickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
Second request for "nipple" location. I have a D5 XC90 and have the noise associated with vacuum issue, but no noticeable vacuum issue. Be nice to resolve this.
Third request for "show me your nipples" please

I have the popping sound if I open the oil fill cap. I have vacuum tested both of the mounts, all the pipe work from the vacuum pump to the mounts and the pump itself (engine off) so I'm wondering if the leak is on something else the vacuum pump feeds?
does the vacuum system run anything other than the mounts and brake system? (mine is 2014 so the turbo system is not affected by vacuum)
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 20:20   #6
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
Third request for "show me your nipples" please

I have the popping sound if I open the oil fill cap. I have vacuum tested both of the mounts, all the pipe work from the vacuum pump to the mounts and the pump itself (engine off) so I'm wondering if the leak is on something else the vacuum pump feeds?
does the vacuum system run anything other than the mounts and brake system? (mine is 2014 so the turbo system is not affected by vacuum)
If you have a manual then there is a vacuum controlled egr cooler bypass...they almost all go bad.... the auto gearbox doesnt have one its for emissions with slightly higher temperature exhaust for the catalytic convertor.... you can blind them of and the bypass will be shut by a spring, which at operating temperature also always be if its working
Its located under the egr cooler
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote