Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Egr cleaning on D5 Euro 5 5244t/15

Views : 5170

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2018, 01:22   #1
bertrandls

Default Egr cleaning on D5 Euro 5 5244t/15

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know the procedure to clean the EGR. My car is 155.000 km (100.000 miles) so I guess I have to disassemble it.
Anyone who has tested products is welcome to testify.
Strange thing I didn’t find any thread about it... I wonder why...
bertrandls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 08:19   #2
37 RUBY
Master Member

I would be interested too as my own vehicle is a Euro 5 D5.

For info I have cleaned the intake system up to the EGR when I first purchased it at 40k miles. The throttle body and associated intake pipes were heavily choked.
I also ran a liquid EGR cleaner through and only use Shell V Power diesel. I checked 8k miles later and the throttle body remains clean.

I suspect at 100k miles yours will be ready.

.... so as per OP's request has anyone completed a EGR clean on a Euro 5 D5 and can provide step by step instructions, pictures or video?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 11:42   #3
bertrandls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
I would be interested too as my own vehicle is a Euro 5 D5.

For info I have cleaned the intake system up to the EGR when I first purchased it at 40k miles. The throttle body and associated intake pipes were heavily choked.
I also ran a liquid EGR cleaner through and only use Shell V Power diesel. I checked 8k miles later and the throttle body remains clean.

I suspect at 100k miles yours will be ready.

.... so as per OP's request has anyone completed a EGR clean on a Euro 5 D5 and can provide step by step instructions, pictures or video?
This is stressing me! How is it that the dealer never did anything about it so far... it’s like a self made ticking bomb! Good for the dealer only! And it should be part of the regular maintenance...
I find electric cars more and more attractive... look at our engines and their complexity today! Trying to regulate their self made pollution... it’s a crazy principle. It’s like sick drunk walking and pucking in a bag at the same time... (sorry for the picture)... I mean just don’t put junk in your body and you won’t have side effect... no?
I’m disappointed by Volvo and the complexity of this car... I thought it would be much simpler...

Can I ask you what product/additive you bought ? For you it did a good job right? I could try it after scraping off the biggest part...
Thanks and sorry for my temper...
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 16:33   #4
37 RUBY
Master Member

Well diesel has always been a dirty fuel as far as intakes are concerned and clogged intake/ egr systems are not the preserve of Volvo. Every diesel manufacturer suffers from this.
Should the system be cleaned at each service by the dealer/manufacturer. Well, yes of course but then premature failure of components associated with the egr/intake system are no doubt the catalyst to many a sale of new vehicles to those less technically minded, so why would the dealer kick that into touch?

Electric vehicles? Whenever I consider electrickery I can only ever conjur up the image of the Co-oP electric milk floats from the 70s and the current crop of electric vehicle have such a huge premium price tag for the end user, so no thanks as me still likey the dirty combustion engine.

As for what additive I used, Forte is the brand but there is only so much it can do and really would have to have been used from the very onset of the vehicles life along with the use of a high grade diesel fuel to provide massive benefit.
Did it work for me. Well the intake remains clean but I have never been as deep as the egr so who knows.

If I were you I would clean the system thoroughly then maintain it yourself, say every 20k miles. You would then have peace of mind that you are running with a clean intake system.

So for now we must wait for someone to provide us with instructions on how to remove the egr....
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 16:46   #5
bertrandls

I've also read about hydrogen descaling... It seems to work well. The technical reviews are very positive about it. Much more than about additives... But I'm not sure it works on the EGR... I have to surch for this information...
Thanks for your comment. (I do agree with you about the maintenance aspect... it's so unfair!)
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 17:01   #6
bertrandls

Quote:
Well diesel has always been a dirty fuel as far as intakes are concerned and clogged intake/ egr systems are not the preserve of Volvo. Every diesel manufacturer suffers from this.
Should the system be cleaned at each service by the dealer/manufacturer. Well, yes of course but then premature failure of components associated with the egr/intake system are no doubt the catalyst to many a sale of new vehicles to those less technically minded, so why would the dealer kick that into touch?

Electric vehicles? Whenever I consider electrickery I can only ever conjur up the image of the Co-oP electric milk floats from the 70s and the current crop of electric vehicle have such a huge premium price tag for the end user, so no thanks as me still likey the dirty combustion engine.

As for what additive I used, Forte is the brand but there is only so much it can do and really would have to have been used from the very onset of the vehicles life along with the use of a high grade diesel fuel to provide massive benefit.
Did it work for me. Well the intake remains clean but I have never been as deep as the egr so who knows.

If I were you I would clean the system thoroughly then maintain it yourself, say every 20k miles. You would then have peace of mind that you are running with a clean intake system.

So for now we must wait for someone to provide us with instructions on how to remove the egr....
Are you under the snow up there? We were expecting some here but... it won't be coming... sad!
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 17:47   #7
37 RUBY
Master Member

No snow yet but I have performed a snow dance in the hope of a snow day tomorrow.

Unfortunately I have the wrong vehicle to say I cannot get to work
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 17:56   #8
bertrandls

Quote:
No snow yet but I have performed a snow dance in the hope of a snow day tomorrow.

Unfortunately I have the wrong vehicle to say I cannot get to work
Tell them the EGR is failing...
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 18:13   #9
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

The EGR does not need moving to clean it. You're never going to get it clinically clean.

The can be severe carbon build which reduces the flow of air, this can be removed using Carburettor cleaner. Anything that dissolves carbon. and I use wooden spatulas and old screw drivers if the build up is bad. PLENTY of cleans rags and WEAR GLOVES. Its a really really dirty job.

You need to remove the air intake pipe before the EGR and remove the ETM after it. Don't get any carb cleaner in the ETM. there are plastic cogs and wheels in there that could do with staying clean.

I have also used an EGR cleaner that you spray thru the engine. WYNNS EGR CLEANER. It 'knocks' the EGR valve to dislodge carbon. This would be worth using once a year after through cleaning.

If you cant manage the removal of the pipes before and the ETM removal, maybe leave it to those that can.

There are videos on Youtube, albeit for Euro 3 and 4 engines, but the principle is the same.

Last edited by colinbos; Feb 26th, 2018 at 18:17.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 18:47   #10
bertrandls

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
The EGR does not need moving to clean it. You're never going to get it clinically clean.

The can be severe carbon build which reduces the flow of air, this can be removed using Carburettor cleaner. Anything that dissolves carbon. and I use wooden spatulas and old screw drivers if the build up is bad. PLENTY of cleans rags and WEAR GLOVES. Its a really really dirty job.

You need to remove the air intake pipe before the EGR and remove the ETM after it. Don't get any carb cleaner in the ETM. there are plastic cogs and wheels in there that could do with staying clean.

I have also used an EGR cleaner that you spray thru the engine. WYNNS EGR CLEANER. It 'knocks' the EGR valve to dislodge carbon. This would be worth using once a year after through cleaning.

If you cant manage the removal of the pipes before and the ETM removal, maybe leave it to those that can.

There are videos on Youtube, albeit for Euro 3 and 4 engines, but the principle is the same.
Carb cleaner could be too agressive for the ETM valve (you are talking about a valve right?). But what about a dedicated EGR product...? It would seem strange if they sold products that deteriorate the EGR... wouldn't it?

Tags
egr cleaning