Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lets See Your Volvo’s.

Views : 4402

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2018, 08:44   #21
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidman View Post
Nice list of some mods there i like it 👍.

What is pressed metal plates?
I wanted to put LED interior bulbs in but not sure what sizes there are. I try it once & ended up blowing them all out. Randomly they work a few days later 🤷*♂️
I would love mudflaps on mine where do you buy them from?

I might spray my fog light surrounds too. Looks good i think match the main grill
Thanks very much. Have also de-badged the rear and removed the "V50" and "D2".

Pressed metal plates are pretty much just that. Sheet metal with the characters pressed on rather than stuck on. Purchased from e-bay.

Interior lights are usually 501 bulbs or a mixture of those and festoon bulbs. The cabin ones on mine were 501's and the boot light was a 39/41mm festoon.

I got my mud flaps from e-bay. Just general universal fit ones as there aren't any that fit the R-Design trims. Offered them up to the arches and just used the arch liner screws to hold them on

mudflaps 1 by Pete, on Flickr

I did the fog light surrounds as they were so faded being grey plastic. But, I didn't prep them properly and the paint is starting to flake........

Quote:
I have a k&n panel filter in.

I was thinking of an induction kit??

Matey said he had a Ram Air filter or something.

I wamt something to give the car a little more noise on putting the foot down .
I have a replacement Ram Air filter which is direct fitment;

80847service_6 by Pete, on Flickr

Fits inside the OE setup and I feel, gives slightly better throttle response and lower revs at higher speed [when cruising at 70mph it used to be 2.4k revs, after installation that dropped to just under 2.2k revs].
There's been a few tests done with induction kits and supposedly they don't work too well when compared to the standard setup with normal or replacement filter.
But, if you're wanting more induction noise, a kit is the way to go.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 12:47   #22
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Nice dubstop grill too?

How do you have the rings lighting up on your headlights?
I swear mine light up the centre lens?

Corr she is riding rather high though mate.
Yep, grille was actually very first thing I replaced as I hated the "whale mouth" grille with passion - the only thing that actually bothered me SO much.
Rings are retrofitted, so as bixenon HIDs etc (see the link in my signature for bixenon retrofit - step by step pic story on how its done).

As for ride height - thats how Volvo designed it, and to be honest I dont know either why they made AWD models higher. Its like mid-way between stock FWD and XC70 CrossCountry version. I really dont mind that at all, never paid too much attention to those things (unlike the lights ;P ) but I also wouldnt complain if it was lower. At this moment it sits on 1 year old OEM springs so its as close to original stance as possible.

FunkyMelon - its not as easy as you may think, with AWD. Over a year ago I started a full shock+springs refurb and I did a ton of research, mostly on US forums where AWDs are more popular. The bottom line is - there is VERY limited amount of aftermarket parts that would fit those cars. Front set is possible as aftermarket one, rear shocks - non existent outside dealerships, same as springs matching my spring numbers. You can only go CLOSE to OEM setup with aftermarket parts. Lowering kit was once available from HEICO for 4 figure sum, and H&R lowering springs will just not fit AWD properly due to completely different shock travel. You can always mix&match whatever fits and it IS possible to lower it, but you wont actually gain anything except nicer look, as handling will be severely affected.
All in all - Its just too much hassle and for me - I prefer it to drive well rather than look better so I left it stock and not really complaining too much
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 21:00   #23
stevien1

Splitter kit, Lowered on Bilstein B12 kit with all new top mounts, rear adjustable camber arms, Autech wizard alloys with 40 offset 7.5" wide, mtech dimpled and grooved discs all round with uprated pads. Paint the calipers next and update the rear anti roll bar
stevien1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevien1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 21:03   #24
Petey80
Premier Member

Liking the lower front splitter. Where did you get that from?

Car looks fantastic.

Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 22:11   #25
stevien1

Front and side splitters are from Maxton design. Got them with the carbon wrap on them.
stevien1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevien1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 21:31   #26
Kidman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Thanks very much. Have also de-badged the rear and removed the "V50" and "D2".

Pressed metal plates are pretty much just that. Sheet metal with the characters pressed on rather than stuck on. Purchased from e-bay.

Interior lights are usually 501 bulbs or a mixture of those and festoon bulbs. The cabin ones on mine were 501's and the boot light was a 39/41mm festoon.

I got my mud flaps from e-bay. Just general universal fit ones as there aren't any that fit the R-Design trims. Offered them up to the arches and just used the arch liner screws to hold them on

mudflaps 1 by Pete, on Flickr

I did the fog light surrounds as they were so faded being grey plastic. But, I didn't prep them properly and the paint is starting to flake........

I have a replacement Ram Air filter which is direct fitment;

80847service_6 by Pete, on Flickr

Fits inside the OE setup and I feel, gives slightly better throttle response and lower revs at higher speed [when cruising at 70mph it used to be 2.4k revs, after installation that dropped to just under 2.2k revs].
There's been a few tests done with induction kits and supposedly they don't work too well when compared to the standard setup with normal or replacement filter.
But, if you're wanting more induction noise, a kit is the way to go.
I have found some mud flaps on ebay with the volvo logo on them. Ill give them a go. Had a look at my wheel archs the rear will be perfect because i have screws at the bottom & the top.(all the way up & around) But the front wheel arch i only have 3 screws at the bottom so that will be a little more effort to get them fitted.

Can you point me to a link to this ram air filter you have. But for my s40 struggling to find it.

Also the rear LED reversing lights please.
Kidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 21:34   #27
Kidman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevien1 View Post

Splitter kit, Lowered on Bilstein B12 kit with all new top mounts, rear adjustable camber arms, Autech wizard alloys with 40 offset 7.5" wide, mtech dimpled and grooved discs all round with uprated pads. Paint the calipers next and update the rear anti roll bar
Splitter kit looks awesome.👍
Red & black looks fresh too. Very Nice pal.

Lucky for you heko do rear wind defectors for your V50 by the looks of things, they only make the front for the S40 😢
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 22:42   #28
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
I have found some mud flaps on ebay with the volvo logo on them. Ill give them a go. Had a look at my wheel archs the rear will be perfect because i have screws at the bottom & the top.(all the way up & around) But the front wheel arch i only have 3 screws at the bottom so that will be a little more effort to get them fitted.

Can you point me to a link to this ram air filter you have. But for my s40 struggling to find it.

Also the rear LED reversing lights please.
The rear arches were the easiest to install. Nice and flat and screws from top to bottom, all the way up and round like you say.
The front however, due to the R-Design kit or just the front arches in general were a little worse but still dooable.

The arch kind of steps back so the mud flap has a bit of a bend in it. Still fits fine and I just put a self tapping screw in the top where there wasn't an arch screw to use.

mudflaps 8 by Pete, on Flickr

These are the mud flaps I used, got them from e-bay

mudflaps by Pete, on Flickr

Ram Air filters can be found here - http://www.ramair-filters.co.uk/prod...panel-filters/

They sell it slightly cheaper on their e-bay shop though. Just double check the part number to make sure you get the correct one.

The only issue with it is, the hole where the MAF connection goes into the filter is bigger than the filter hole. To combat this I've just enlarged the filter hole slightly.

Do you have the same type of filter as me or is yours a panel filter?

These are the Osram LED's I have as reverse lights - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-Pre...kAAOSw~RVZ8tZn

Nice and bright

LEDreverselights1 by Pete, on Flickr

LEDReverselights by Pete, on Flickr

The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 21:09   #29
Kidman

Pair of eye brows

Also done my mud flaps, black with volvo logo on them. But would let me
Upload photo for some reason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EEC4CBE1-0564-41FC-909B-56EAE1782426.jpg (159.1 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kidman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 21:13   #30
Kidman

Puddle lights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9D68F270-8D93-4AAB-935E-59BEC8ED1923.jpg (66.6 KB, 32 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kidman For This Useful Post: