Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 D5 clutch position sensor woes

Views : 669

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2018, 10:43   #1
john...

Default S40 D5 clutch position sensor woes

Hi all,

Have an s40 d5 which is giving me no end of grief due to the clutch position sensor. Bought the car last year and it intermittently gave me a depress clutch pedal message to start message even when I was pressing the clutch in.

This got worse until one day the cruise stopped working and I stopped the car and couldn’t get it restarted. Sensor on the bulkhead replaced and all was well for 6 months then it had the same symptoms again. Luckily got the sensor changed under warranty and the new one again fixed the problem but only for 4 weeks and it’s now gone the exact same way.

I’ve read about problems with brake fluid leaks killing these but both sensors looked bone dry to me and I definitely don’t think anything is leaking. Just wondering has anyone any other ideas as to why the car is getting through so many or what else would stop a brand new sensor from working correctly?

Both times the car has given the same code which is something like “clutch position sensor - faulty signal”

Thanks

John

Last edited by john...; Mar 16th, 2018 at 10:58.
john... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 17:31   #2
john...

Just to update..

Found another sensor above the clutch pedal in the footwell. I’ve changed this too but the symptoms are exactly the same

The car is now running two brand new sensors for the clutch yet still won’t start maybe 9 times out of 10 and has no cruise control.

If anyone has any suggestions I’d be very grateful - currently trying contact cleaner on both wiring plugs but not holding my breath.

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 13:45   #3
Yobbo
Dave

If it's not the sensors then you've got to consider the wiring.

But before you start chasing that up look up on cleaning the ECM contacts as all manner of electrical gremlins can be caused by corrosion on pins.

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if that was the root of it all!
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 14:17   #4
john...

Thanks.. your thinking mirrors mine in that it has to be wiring related. I checked my old sensor with a multimeter yesterday and it seemed to work perfectly so far as I can tell so it has to be something else.

I had tried contact cleaner on the plugs for the sensors but hadn’t considered the ecm itself so I will definitely look into that.. couldn’t even see it yesterday when I was looking in the engine bay - am I right in thinking it’s in the wheel arch?

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 14:27   #5
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by john... View Post
Thanks.. your thinking mirrors mine in that it has to be wiring related. I checked my old sensor with a multimeter yesterday and it seemed to work perfectly so far as I can tell so it has to be something else.

I had tried contact cleaner on the plugs for the sensors but hadn’t considered the ecm itself so I will definitely look into that.. couldn’t even see it yesterday when I was looking in the engine bay - am I right in thinking it’s in the wheel arch?

Thanks
The ECM is located under the glovebox sir, few youtube vids knocking about regards removing it and cleaning it up. ECU is accessed by removing the wheel N/S arch liner, but you should not need to touch that.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 14:47   #6
john...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
The ECM is located under the glovebox sir, few youtube vids knocking about regards removing it and cleaning it up. ECU is accessed by removing the wheel N/S arch liner, but you should not need to touch that.
Excellent, obviously had my own wires crossed let alone the car’s! I’ll get a look over the weekend and report back.

Thanks again
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 10:44   #7
john...

Yobbo you're a genius

Took all apart and cleaned it up as you said and touch wood it hasn't missed a start since and the codes are gone in VIDA.

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to john... For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 13:13   #8
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by john... View Post
Yobbo you're a genius

Took all apart and cleaned it up as you said and touch wood it hasn't missed a start since and the codes are gone in VIDA.

Thanks again
Nah man, just passing it on!

Did you actually see any corrosion in there?
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 10:55   #9
john...

Nothing I would class as corrosion maybe but certainly a bit of dirt and dust. Whether it was through this or something being a little loose I’m not sure but either way all seems to be well now
The Following User Says Thank You to john... For This Useful Post: