Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

G'reg 740GL 52k every MOT and doc from new 1 owner!

Views : 6801

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2011, 07:54   #21
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

James.

I don't believe anyone has been hostile, and given you've now listed this car on ebay any criticism that has been made has now been vindicated.

With regard to"pointless comments", all the comments have had a point.

Given the lack of a proper description, photographs and a price - therefore if any forum members"see"the car, they'll reach their own opinions about it("being valeted on Monday"springs to mind).

Notwithstanding I am sure we all hope it finds a good owner.

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Apr 28th, 2011 at 08:00. Reason: typo
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 10:19   #22
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshaigh View Post
all i can say is that there must be a lot of sad people who have the time to post pointless and un-needed comments, very hostile this forum and i have to say im suprised by that, never had any bull**** on BMWland or transit van club,

james
Then might I suggest you leave us to our bullsh1t and return to their welcoming arms?

C.A.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 18:37   #23
turboboy
Master Member

Default Advice Ignored

Oh! well.

At the end of the day IMHO it is probably the least desirable engine size in the least popular colour of the less desirable body style without the more popular gearbox.

Now if it was a 2.3 estate, auto in (say) silver then I would bite the seller's hand off at £400.00 (which would allow for the cost of all the possible work that will come up due to non-use).

I do wonder, though, how much a "corroded flexible brake hose" (sic) costs to repair.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 19:28   #24
capt jack
VOC Member

Default All is revealed?

Here for all to see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Curiously, the mileage is 54-odd thousand, and not (and I quote) '52,000 yes 52,000 100% genuine'. The car is clearly not in (again I quote) "factory condition" as it has a thumping great whack to it's NSF front bumper that's also pushed the panel under the headlamp back.

The front number plate bears no dealer's logo, whereas the rear one does, which would perhaps lead one to think that the front end isn't necessarily as original as is claimed.

Oh and 'heated seats and mirrors etc'...what does 'etc' mean? It has heated seats and mirrors, period. Also it does not have electric windows as is claimed as in one photo the winder handle is clearly visible. Where else have the facts been embellished I wonder?

In the second-hand car game the rule has to be 'Buyer Beware', so if the seller's description clearly contains patent contradictions in it's first few words then most prudent buyers would sensibly give up at that point, assuming that with major discrepancies immediately apparent, then on the balance of probabilities there could well be some hidden surprises too.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Apr 28th, 2011 at 19:34.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 19:33   #25
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboy View Post
Oh! well.

At the end of the day IMHO it is probably the least desirable engine size in the least popular colour of the less desirable body style without the more popular gearbox.

Now if it was a 2.3 estate, auto in (say) silver then I would bite the seller's hand off at £400.00 (which would allow for the cost of all the possible work that will come up due to non-use).

I do wonder, though, how much a "corroded flexible brake hose" (sic) costs to repair.
spot on
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 19:58   #26
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshaigh View Post
the car is now on ebay, for all to see,

Item number: 260775726077

i joined this forum for 2 reasons, one to put this car up for sale and two to research the C30 R Design as thats what im looking at chopping the bm in for next,

all i can say is that there must be a lot of sad people who have the time to post pointless and un-needed comments, very hostile this forum and i have to say im suprised by that, never had any bull**** on BMWland or transit van club, james

Could it be that the members of these 2 above mentioned superior forums are a tad more gullible than this one, hence your lack of animosity from said clubs in the past.

Just a thought, i could be wrong and have no intention of saying that i am right in case you class that as confrontational.

Kindest Regards Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 20:34   #27
captain_pugwash_20
Master Member

Thanks for the pictures on E-Bay James. On your description, I could have been interested, if I was in the market, but having had a look at the photos, I find some discrepancies. Sorry, but that's a nasty ding on the front bumper. However I appreciate your openess in showing it. Also I'm a bit suspicious to see what appears to be a non standard coachline. I could be wrong, but to me, it might indicate a respray. The front windows might be electric, but there's a winder on the NS back door. Again, I'm not sure, but were some 740's half electric? I seem to remember my 240 GL did, but that was a long time ago. The NSF trim looks well kerbed too. Not a big issue, but it puts doubt in my mind about it being 'cherished'. I see after looking back over the posts that you say there's an advisory on the MOT for an exhaust and both balljoints. Hmmm! after 54 thou? I'm not sure if the two go together. She must have had a hard 54 thou. in my book. I'm sorry to seem critical, but some of us Volvologists look for and at everything. Anyway, I wish you success in your sale and hope the buyer has a long and happy courtship with their purchase.

Last edited by captain_pugwash_20; Apr 28th, 2011 at 20:38. Reason: further information found re MOT Advisory
captain_pugwash_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 21:33   #28
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default half electric windows

i know of a 1986 740 estate gle
where front windows are electric=rear handwinded
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 22:41   #29
sunsetlounger

Post Half electric windows

My 1986 C registered 740GL saloon, has electric windows in the front and manual in the back,
I bought it on ebay in march, some of you may have noticed it, silver with red interior.
Perhaps I overpaid, However I'm delighted with it.
Changed the elastic bands on the timing/alternator/pas/ spark plugs and oil runs like a dream.

Though if anyone has a red passenger door card, I might be interested.
sunsetlounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 03:29   #30
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetlounger View Post
My 1986 C registered 740GL saloon, has electric windows in the front and manual in the back,
I bought it on ebay in march, some of you may have noticed it, silver with red interior.
Perhaps I overpaid, However I'm delighted with it.
Changed the elastic bands on the timing/alternator/pas/ spark plugs and oil runs like a dream.

Though if anyone has a red passenger door card, I might be interested.
I have the photos on my computer. Your car looks nice.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldBlueVolvo For This Useful Post: