Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AUX connection for HU655 - Any one tried this?

Views : 4141

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 20:02   #1
wpg100
VOC Member

Default AUX connection for HU655 - Any one tried this?

Spent the afternoon searching the net to see if there was a reasonably priced way of getting an AUX input for the HU-655. Nothing fancy just wanted a 3.5mm headphone jack as using the cassette adaptor really does ruin the quality of music, especially when going over a rough road causes the volume to change!

After all my searching the only thing I have found that isn't a kit/adaptor thingy is a 5 pin din to 3.5mm jack on ebay (item 310167487471).

Has anyone tried using one of these before? From what I have read it just needs plugging into the back instead of the CD changer cable (which I dont have) but that seems a little too easy!

I'll probably go ahead and try it anyway but if someones tried it with no success then that saves me adding another cable to my cable graveyard in the loft, aswell as the ear bending for wasting money on yet another pointless cable!
wpg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 20:17   #2
phil_r

I spent a long while looking for solution to your problem although i'm still using my trusty belkin tunecast 2 which i think is pretty good for the money!

I don't think that cable will work with any of the volvo head units as there is some clever software needed to get the input to work with the cd changer. The "ideal" solution i came accross was a special adaptor available at http://www.imiv.ca/. I only wanted a simple 3.5mm connection so decieded untill i have an ipod the tunecast will do due to the price of the imiv.

Phil
phil_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil_r For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 22:31   #3
sebaveh
Winegrover

5 pin DIN socket on back side is for amplifier, that's aux-out.

If you want just plain 3,5 mm jack,well there is another way:

http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...ccc79085cd83aa

http://sourceforge.net/projects/melbusemulator/
sebaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sebaveh For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:40   #4
wpg100
VOC Member

Thanks for the replies.

The whole FM thing sounds good but not sure how well it would do in a V40 since the areial is at the back. Plus knowing me I'll forget to charge it!

I have seen a Sony Cassette adaptor so I might try that for now as the whole DIY circuity thingy is way out of my league as I don't even have a soldering iron!!! Although it would be great to tinker I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it if I blew up the stereo!
wpg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 13:45   #5
phil_r

I've had no problems with signal in my V40 when it is set up right, have a look at http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...elkin+tunecast. I bought a tunecast II back in 2006 and it still works great. It came with a standard 12v cigarette adaptor or you can put 2 AA batterys in it.

Quaility should be a lot better than a cassette adaptor, the only two issues i have is;

1 Its a bit of a faff to set up with cables running everywhere and then you need a 12v splitter to use a gps or phone charger.
2 It doesn't work very well when a proper radio station is trying to tranmit on the same frequency that you are, when going through France this summer I lost count of the number of times we had to change the transmitter frequency! Its easy to change though....

Phil
phil_r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aux, hu-655, hu655, mp3