Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0D automatic - chip tuning

Views : 868

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 11:52   #1
AlphaScorpii

Default 2.0D automatic - chip tuning

Has anyone here with 2.0D engine and automatic transmission done chip tuning?
I got option for 136KS --> ~165KS.

Not sure is it advisible since it's automatic transmission.

Car is C30 with ~134 000 km.
AlphaScorpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 17:08   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

What do you mean by chip tuning, do you mean changing both the ECU and TRU programs, or just fitting something you saw going cheap on Fleabay ??

If you ask your local Volvo dealer, they will know if it's possible, cos Volvo own a tuning company and they might give you a good quote for a MAP change to increase both the torque and ouput.

Contrary to the non Volvo advertising about tuning boxes, there is no way of increasing the MPG without fitting a manual warm up cycle bypass switch and associated warning light. Those old rigs that some taxi drivers used to fit are not legal in either MOT or insurance terms, although you might get approval for the latter.

If you do tune up a diesel with an auto box, I would try and avoid spinning the wheels too much, as most diesel auto boxes will start to suffer from excessive low end torque increases, although some of the more expensive boxes, like the ZF 8 and 9 speed dual clutch ones will adapt their TCU program instantly and downshift faster than normal or stay in a higher gear to avoid an over torque.
Serious MAP changes (More than 30%) are often more expensive with an auto box due to the additional TCU software changes.

Obviously you can't get something for nothing in engine and box wear terms and a Recon auto box is often as expensive as a Recon engine.
Changing the engine oil more often and using an 0 or 5w40 genuine German standard full synthetic oil (GTL based Shell Ultra is nearly as good), in addition to more frequent tranny fluid changes (The OEM spec fluid will be one designed for max economy and you might be able to find a better fluid from either Liqui Moly or one of the US companies like Amsoil or Redline).

If you boot a tuned diesel a lot and are unlucky enough to have a DPF fitted, it will foul up fairly quickly if you don't use a fuel additive in particular.
Lubeguard make very good auto box fluid additives, BUT Liqui Moly make some real good oil and fuel additives and this one is designed for the DPF afflicted:

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000...tor-6.0-en.pdf

PS: Don't forget to get permission from your insurance company for the increase in power. If your car has a power train warranty,
it might not cover any mod that increases the power and the ECU will log a hidden (Dealer only) fault code for a non Volvo tune up, so they will know when you started fiddling.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Sep 2nd, 2015 at 17:28.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 18:34   #3
AlphaScorpii

Thnx for this big info!

I am not sure what exact option for "chip tuning" I have... I think its remap or something like that. My friend who drives BMW 318d is going and is calling me... so it's not Volvo store but some automotive store (but they are known for quality in my city...).

I got DPF but just had problems with it (had to replace DPF sensor)... not sure how long will DPF stay alive.. I was thinking of removing it if it dies because new one is expensive.
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 01:15   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaScorpii View Post
I got DPF but just had problems with it (had to replace DPF sensor)... not sure how long will DPF stay alive.. I was thinking of removing it if it dies because new one is expensive.
MOT failure point AND a tow away if you get caught and refuse to replace it. Tampering with any emissions control system (EGR, CAT and DPF) is a criminal offence, not a civil one.

Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 10:40   #5
AlphaScorpii

Maybe in USA, but in my country it's not. Most of the old diesels didin't even have DPF..
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 12:48   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaScorpii View Post
Maybe in USA, but in my country it's not. Most of the old diesels didin't even have DPF..
All EU countries have similar emissions regs. They were changed about 2 years ago as regards the inspection standards.

If an older diesel was not fitted with a DPF, it does not require one to pass an emissions test or inspection, BUT if the car has a DPF fitted as part of the OEM spec, then you are stuck with it.

The dividing line between criminal and civil law does vary between different countries, so it might not be a criminal act in the Eastern EU.

Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 13:07   #7
Rooster
Speed freak

If you want to get a mapped 2.0D i would buy a manual one as the powershift boxes fitted to these engines are abit fragile,

Google ford powershift failure and you will see what i mean
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote