Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ownership Thread - 2012 XC90 Executive

Views : 26397

Replies : 207

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2019, 06:33   #71
SwissXC90
Premier Member

When a crack or large leak in the charge air inlet exists, the ECU over-compensates with fuel (how much depends o the size of the air leak) and produces much much higher soot than normal.

This can lead to very rapid clogging of the DPF.

If the DPF gets clogged with soot beyond a level where it can be regenerated then the options are:

1. DPF cleaning through a manualy triggered DPF regeneration cycle (on the car, using the engine for heat)
2. DPF removal and cleaning with chemicals (liquid)
3. DPF removeal and cleaning in an oven (to burn off the soot)
4. DPF renewal

At any rate the DPF needs regen or cleaning or replacement. You cannot avoid that.

Maybe you car has a bad pressure sensor, and because of that it won't go into a DPF regen cycle.
That would be good, because it is cheaper and easier to replace the sensor than the DPF.
Once the new sensor is fitted, the pressures return to normal readings, and the ECU can then initiate a manual cleaning cycle.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 10:48   #72
Odysseus

Thanks for that Swiss, your knowledge never fails to impress.

I have a nagging feeling (which could be misplaced paranoia) that the next call I get will say the DPF will need to be replaced. I suppose in the grand scheme of things I did spend a few £K less than my budget by buying such a high miler, and had a newer car to boot, and I didn’t expect it to be issue free. Being phlegmatic this is what that rationale looks like!

The only issue on the horizon is that we need the capacity of the XC90 for a trip to the in-laws later next week. The plan is a non-starter with the frankly hopeless boot space of the GS.

We’ll see what Monday brings. Thanks as always for the expertise and knowledge.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 12:12   #73
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I said in my earlier post “it could be worse”. Turns out it is.

Now they tell me the DPF is full and won’t self regenerate so it needs a DPF pressure sensor. This means a) I’m not getting the car back today and b) my eventual bill is now in the high £600s.

The only time I’ve seen any kind of DPF related messages was after driving the car about 20 miles with the aforementioned boost pipe problem (soot filter full). Before that it all seemed fine and while the car has done a high mileage this is surely better from a DPF perspective?

Any thoughts on this? Am I just having a bit of bad luck?
First off, I am not trying to be funny or clever.

I strongly suspect that the DPF soot filter full message came about because of the charge air pipe being damaged. This is common.

Now that it has been replaced it may well be the case that the car will now not " Self Regenerate" by driving it as it has gone beyond it's ability to do so.

At this stage the garage or anyone else with Vida should do a FORCED REGENERATION and that should hopefully sort the issue out for you.

Have they tried this?

The car that you bought looks in lovely condition but the mileage it has covered naturally means that components will be wearing out .

That is not a problem in itself if you are capable or willing to do the work yourself however if this is not the case Bills can rack up very quickly.

Example . A USED charge air pipe could have been bought for roughly £40 and the resonator box replaced with silicone pipe £33. This makes £73 in total and an hours work under the car. You paid 6 times more and the car is still not sorted.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 13th, 2019 at 12:20.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 13:57   #74
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I was also going to say that with a leak on the air system it is surprising how much extra soot is produced. A pipe from the intercooler went on another car of ours and the amount of black smoke that was produced was immense.
Also a second for the fact that VIDA has a function to force a regen.
I’m not sure that a domestic oven gets hot enough to burn of the soot as I’m sure the temp is in the region of 550 degrees centigrade.
People have jet washed them but this then has other problems.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 14:17   #75
SwissXC90
Premier Member

There are companies that do professional DPF burning and cleaning in an oven, and then repaint the PDF. Or chemically cleaning.
Example:
http://www.totaldpfcleaningni.com/

The result is identical to a brand new DPF, but at much less than half the price.

But before you get to concerned: wait for Monday and see what the garage says.
It may well be as simple as a new sensor and a forced regen.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Apr 13th, 2019 at 14:20.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 15:46   #76
Odysseus

Thanks to all for the knowledge being passed on here and as well as helping me right now I also hope it proves useful to other owners in the the future.

It’s reassuring to know that the crack in the pipe probably explains the “full” DPF, and it’s not surprising that in 185,000 miles some sensors have worn out. For all I know the DPF pressure sensor could have been out for some time, just with the car doing mostly ‘good’ long journeys the soot build up associated with low speed, short trips never got a chance to accumulate. Either way, I’m happy this will be sorted.

On the topic of tackling jobs to avoid bills, it sounds great in theory but assumes a) mechanical ability and b) time. I’m lacking in both unfortunately.

With the benefit of hindsight and the knowledge of an accurate diagnosis of course it would be possible to source parts to limit expense, but making that diagnosis first is half the battle, not to mention then having the know-how, the tools, and the time to do something about it, all the while being essentially without transport until the work is done.

The principle of using experts to fix my car with quality parts is something I’m happy with and I accept this costs more as a consequence, and I remain extremely grateful to this forum for providing me the knowledge to ‘keep them honest’.

Anyway, wish me (and my wallet) luck for Monday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 16:11   #77
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Thanks to all for the knowledge being passed on here and as well as helping me right now I also hope it proves useful to other owners in the the future.

It’s reassuring to know that the crack in the pipe probably explains the “full” DPF, and it’s not surprising that in 185,000 miles some sensors have worn out. For all I know the DPF pressure sensor could have been out for some time, just with the car doing mostly ‘good’ long journeys the soot build up associated with low speed, short trips never got a chance to accumulate. Either way, I’m happy this will be sorted.

On the topic of tackling jobs to avoid bills, it sounds great in theory but assumes a) mechanical ability and b) time. I’m lacking in both unfortunately.

With the benefit of hindsight and the knowledge of an accurate diagnosis of course it would be possible to source parts to limit expense, but making that diagnosis first is half the battle, not to mention then having the know-how, the tools, and the time to do something about it, all the while being essentially without transport until the work is done.

The principle of using experts to fix my car with quality parts is something I’m happy with and I accept this costs more as a consequence, and I remain extremely grateful to this forum for providing me the knowledge to ‘keep them honest’.

Anyway, wish me (and my wallet) luck for Monday.

I do. The advantage of a place like this is that when you are dealing with the garage you are in a better position to understand whether you are being fed a line to bump the bill.

It also let's the garage know that you have some understanding of the issue and therefore need to be dealt with fairly.

Good luck

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 14:19   #78
Odysseus

In the spirit of being forewarned is forearmed, does anyone know if Vida allows you to initiate a regeneration cycle on a full DPF with a faulty DPF sensor? Assuming it doesn’t (which feels logical) what would the likely cause be for not being able to regenerate the DPF?

I spoke to Kings half an hour ago who are waiting for the sensor to arrive so they can fit it and try the regen. I’ll let you know what transpires!
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 14:33   #79
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
In the spirit of being forewarned is forearmed, does anyone know if Vida allows you to initiate a regeneration cycle on a full DPF with a faulty DPF sensor? Assuming it doesn’t (which feels logical) what would the likely cause be for not being able to regenerate the DPF?

I spoke to Kings half an hour ago who are waiting for the sensor to arrive so they can fit it and try the regen. I’ll let you know what transpires!
Regens can only happen when the system is operating normally

If critical sensors, like the pressure sensor, are faulty then Regen is not possible.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 21:04   #80
Odysseus

Thanks for the help earlier Swiss. Hopeful progress, I think...

The new sensor arrived and was duly fitted, but apparently they’re having problems running the regeneration cycle and want to try again with more time tomorrow. When pushed on what happened I was told “we started it but it didn’t finish like it’s supposed to, so we need more time to try again.”

I’m hopeful this feels more like a technical turn it off and on again problem rather than your DPF is only good as a door stop problem, but we’ll see what the phone call brings tomorrow.

Thanks as always for the interest.