Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abingdon 4x4 Festival

Views : 4185

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2010, 18:20   #1
ianu
Premier Member

Thumbs up Abingdon 4x4 Festival

Just a reminder - anyone else on here planning to go ? - it's all for Charity..
Got my ticket for Saturday including the off road course (i'll see what it's like before comitting to it though) - but if you fancy watching or following if I do.
Be nice to meet you as well.

Cheers
Ian.
PS Technically I know this should probably be in the 'Meets' threads - but thought I'd target the XC90 audience directly :-)
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 20:56   #2
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I would have done as it's not that far from us but as my wife is due on Wednesday I can't commit. I did take mine down some green lanes where it impressed me it must be said.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 10:48   #3
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfackrell View Post
I would have done as it's not that far from us but as my wife is due on Wednesday I can't commit. I did take mine down some green lanes where it impressed me it must be said.
Fully understand - good luck with the new arrival..

Cheers
Ian.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 12:46   #4
sumomeister

I'm hoping to come up, need to sort out kids, or bring another adult with me though. The kids might enjoy going on the course with me, but just in case, and they're too young to watch on their own.

Have you been before Ian? First time doing anything like this for me if I make it.
sumomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 18:01   #5
ianu
Premier Member

Hi Sumomeister,
I'm certainly no veteran - I've been to the Abingdon event once before but only as a spectator - so this may be my first actually participating on one of the courses.

I've had a couple of visits to the Total Off Road events which were amazing - there's some threads on here that'll take you to the clips.

One thing I've found out about the XC is if you think it's far too ambitious to attempt - it's probably best not to if your planning on driving it home - BUT on the few occassions I thought I was out of my depth in it (not water either) - it surpassed my expectations and most of the spectators at the time too. I've never got it stuck (i.e needed pulling out) - but I've had a few "oh-no" moments which I thought would be the bridge too far.
Approach angle and ground clearance is its week spot.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers
Ian.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 14:28   #6
sumomeister

Ian,

All looking good for tomorrow, I should be there. Weather sounds ok too.

Hope it's a good day, it sounds like it should be.

Mine looks like yours, so a pair of Black XC90s doing the rounds.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 18:09   #7
ianu
Premier Member

..terrific - I'll look out for you. I should be there between 10 and 11ish hopfully. The heavy rain we've had here should make it interesting !! Bring your wellies and a rope ....in case any X5's get stuck :-)

Cheers
Ian.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 18:43   #8
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Jealous of you guys now. Make sure you take some video fotage for use to see how the xc90 copes. Baby is still not here. Oh well wil have to play once he's here.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 20:20   #9
sumomeister

Don't know if you made it there Ian, I tried looking but only saw a couple of other XC90's there, and none on the course.

I did have a crack, much to the amusement, and later amazement, of many stewards, and other drivers, all in their tricked up Land Rovers etc.

However, got about 2 thirds of the way around and after a couple of scary, but not damaging, bangs and crashes on the crests of some of the hills, I managed to rip my right side step off !! Doh !!

Thought I'd call it a day then, before I caused any serious damage, but was overall well impressed with the course, the stewards, the official who came with me, but most of all, my ex-shiny T6!! She performed admirably, didn't get stuck or need a tow anywhere.

Hope you had a good time too.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 22:28   #10
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Sounds like you had fun What tyres do you have?
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote