Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Pads

Views : 6879

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 18:29   #21
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Well, i changed the front engine pad today, perhaps i was expecting too much but i can't really notice much difference! It was definately not holding vac, perhaps, though, it held enough for long enough to work.

Just think i have to get used the the XC90 being the way it is - a little noisy at idle and when accelerating hard (boomy over 2500 rpm)
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 20:32   #22
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Steve having not driven the xc90 i can not comment perhaps as you say thats the way it is,the mounts needed changing.
mike
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:27   #23
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Thanks Mike, there are a few posts about vibration in the XC90, one on a 2012 car.

When i disconnected the vac pipe to the mounts and had the engine running the vibration was considerably worse so i suspect its just the way these cars are.

Its not too bad, doesn't rattle filling out, but its more than i expected. the boomy sound under hard acceleration is annoying but i suspect the 163BHP engine is just too underpowered for a vehicle of this size.

Well the only DTC now showing is REM-4F92 Seat belt reminder sensor Signal missing and i can live with that so perhaps i just need to stop looking for faults!
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtree For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:06   #24
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

you could get it mapped that will take care of the underpowered issue.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 16:51   #25
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Spent too much already Mike, it will do us for now, don't do a great deal of miles anyway and its the wife's car so as long as its safe
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 17:24   #26
Kasia29

bigtree ---- I see your comment about the 2012 Volvo vibrating --- we just purchased an XC90 R Design (5 months old) and it is vibrating when in idle, steering wheel vibrates and drone type noise -- I live in the states but came upon the UK forum through a seach engine when I searched vibration XC90.

What is the remedy for this? I can't believe Volvo thinks this is normal - car is brand new and too expensive (luxury brand) to run like this. So frustrating!
Kasia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 19:55   #27
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

If your car wasn't so new i would say the likely culprit was the engine pads which are controled by a vacuum at idle (below 1200rpm i think). These can wear/leak and thus not operate/dampen the vibration.

Steering wheel vibration would point to rear pad, vibration in reverse the front pad. With yours being so new it seems unlikley, however, it could be that the vac pump has failed altogether and so no vacuum is being applied, but you would probably experience other issues if this was the case, poor running and acceleration (although i think that the turbo on your year is operated electronicaly and so you might not suffer these symptoms)

This is an easy check for a dealer, there is a function in Vida. If you wanted to test it yourself you could connect a vacuum guage in line after the solenoid on the airbox as per the photos earlier on

Another post thats worth looking at is here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=140363
In particular, outnumbered's post is really useful to show how the vacuum system works and there are some links to others that have had issues with engine pads.

I hope it all works out for you, i know it is anoying when it just doesn't feel right
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 17:43   #28
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
Well, i changed the front engine pad today, perhaps i was expecting too much but i can't really notice much difference! It was definately not holding vac, perhaps, though, it held enough for long enough to work.

Just think i have to get used the the XC90 being the way it is - a little noisy at idle and when accelerating hard (boomy over 2500 rpm)
Might have been a bit hasty in my judgement, asked my wife if she noticed anything diferent about the car today, here response was

"No but i tell you what it doesn't shake like it used to when its not moving"

I will chalk that up as another job done then.

Mike, i know where your mind will be
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 18:06   #29
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

that made me chuckle as if.
mike
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 19:43   #30
greenfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree View Post

Gotta chip in my two pence worth here.

Having replaced loads of suspension parts, top engine mount and gearbox 'torque arm', I am pretty sure the XC90 has in inherent vibration issue.

I tried out a few of these cars before buying one, and it seems they all have a strange 'buzz' on startup and then go quiet - perhaps this is the vacuum mount effect, but to me it suggests there is a design related vibration problem. Maybe another engineer will read this and think 'harmonic resonance'?

Apart from the startup buzz, I can feel slight vibrations through the pedals. To me, this also points at engine isolation issues. I remember reading other posts where people described the XC90 as being not as smooth as, say an XC70 or other Volvos.

It is still a comfortable drive and handles well considering the bulk, but I do have a few niggles.
greenfingers is offline   Reply With Quote