Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Arch Extensions

Views : 4655

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 17:23   #21
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raife View Post
Excuse my ignorance on this.

I have a 2004 which has the normal non colour coded plastic arches bumpers etc.

Can I buy some of these in metallic black and simply fit them to mine?
yes, they should fit all xc90's. mine is 2006 with non colour coded. i was going to get them nearly 4 yrs ago when i changed to 255 wide wheels/tyres, but was put off by cost as Volvo wanted best part of £400-500 for them fitted. The black looks okay to fit, don't know if it would be a direct match to your black though. Worst case scenario, if they is a difference, spend £15 on paint, then spray and fit them.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 17:24   #22
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
Yes mine's 2005 Titanium Grey - I'd be interested in a price perhaps if it's comparable to a few cans of paint maybe, worth a try even if it takes a few weeks before I try and get them on.
No imediate rush though - so don't worry - let me know.

cheers
Ian
i'll try and catch them tomorrow. will let you know. i'm hoping they might be able to do it in their "downtime" (as Ed from Wheeler Dealers says...)
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 13:02   #23
KJ4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
looks the same as mine. Attachment 50748 these are the proper instructions - i thought they would be a bit of a job.

i haven't got the xc90 with me at the moment, so i'm unable to check mine for size/location.

ian, did the glue come in the box with yours? i haven't looked all the way in mine yet.

mine is graphite grey so i'll try and pick up a couple of cans, so i can do a few coats over them. i probably won't get a chance to do these for a couple of months, so if you do yours, you'll have to load up pics.
I have just bought a set. For 25 pounds, worth a punt. Having done some work under the arches recently, any idea what size the rivets are? My standard (albeit limited) set didn't hold the panels together, either too big or too small or too short, so used a plastic panel clip instead. Thanks.
KJ4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KJ4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 13:40   #24
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
i'll try and catch them tomorrow. will let you know. i'm hoping they might be able to do it in their "downtime" (as Ed from Wheeler Dealers says...)
Hi Ian,

I've just spoken with them. They said they wouldn't do it, as they only do Mini/BMW/Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo/Lotus/Maseratti and wouldn't like to try and match the paint code and get it wrong. They reckon it could take 3-4 attempts to match it and it could get expensive.

I'm going to find out who my local dealer uses for paint, and find out from them how much, and i have in the past used a guy in Witney Auto-Paint Uk who did a great job on a Celica 7 years back so might see if he is still going.

will report back when i have more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 14:43   #25
Beavis
Premier Member

hes just stuck the price up to £44.99 now. cheeky beggar.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 23:42   #26
KJ4x4

Mine turned up today. Mostly unpainted, some small areas of metallic black on the backs but otherwise uncoated plastic. Didn't come with the fixing kit though. I am at my local Volvo dealer in the morning so will see if the kit can be bought separately and I'll also see if I can get some paint while I am there in preparation for fitting the new smooth items. Then need to think about the lower door and sill trims, whether to paint, leave or replace with running boards.
KJ4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 10:18   #27
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ4x4 View Post
Didn't come with the fixing kit though. I am at my local Volvo dealer in the morning so will see if the kit can be bought separately
the ebay seller has only got 2 sets left, so you might want to contact him before he sells these to see if he can forward on the fixing kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 20:40   #28
Beavis
Premier Member

Hi Ian, and all others,

I called into a body shop yesterday, and the guy reckons between £35-40 per arch whether i had 4 or 8 done at the same time, as they need to be rubbed back and then sprayed up....(mrs StuT4 is not going to be amused)...

on the back of this, i am going to prep and spray them myself after i've got some paint from the local dealer. Good luck to all others that try.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 21:36   #29
raife

I decided against this adventure, i've always thought sprayed pastic never seems to match very well at all and always find an excuse to peel at some point!
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:18   #30
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raife View Post
I decided against this adventure, i've always thought sprayed pastic never seems to match very well at all and always find an excuse to peel at some point!
i had the same thoughts, but as i managed to sucessfully spray (and its stayed good) a washer cover 3 years back, i thought i'd give it a shot. Admitedly its a different kettle of fish, but as they say 99% of it is preparation, so i'll see how it goes, if it goes well i'll then fit em, otherwise may have to have a 2nd thought of having it done professionally.