Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GoodBye XC90

Views : 3425

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 16:52   #21
graym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackey View Post
This is exactly how my father in law sees it Graym. He had to have a stair lift fitted to his house, admittedly he did get some of it funded by a grant but the rest he had to stump up himself. Like I said he uses the money for the things he needs, not the things he wants.....if you get my drift.

Some of the things needed to make a house suitable for a disabled person are ludicrously expensive. He had to have a shower installed with no lip on the shower tray (basically making it a wet room), different taps on the sinks so he can turn them on, a special chair so he can actually sit properly and get up without the mother in law having to play tug of war with him, a special mattress so he can sleep in relative comfort and then there is the things like special shoes so he can actually walk and not be wheel chair bound.

I have every sympathy for people that are in these situations and every one is different, but I do think the allowance should be correctly means tested. What would people say if the likes of Lord Sugar was getting it? If you don't actually need it then you should not actually get it is my opinion.
Sorry but I don't agree with means testing the DLA as I'm sure as someone who earns in the mid 30's I would no longer get it. All other benefits are means tested, all grants are means tested, all council help is means tested which is why I get f@$% all help from anyone except myself. At the moment the lift I have in my house I bought off ebay and installed myself with the help of a friend. It breaks down constantly, is probably dangerous but because I earn soo much money (hint of sarcasm) I get no help. Infact if the council found out what I had done they would come and take the lift away due to health and safety reasons AND leave me with nothing!

Yes it would be ludicrous for someone who has millions to receive the DLA, but since that's less than .001% of the population I don't that it's a serious issue with misuse. I doubt those people would even bother applying for it.
graym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 17:55   #22
XC90D52005

Good god. I've been a member on this site for 10 minutes. I can't believe what I am reading. A valued (actually I made this bit up, I'm just presuming that we all are!) member has taken time to say goodbye and has received a whole load of comments about his financial status and what's fair about his allowance's and what's not! It's unbelievable. I have experienced something similar, trust me; in that situation a million quid wouldn't put things right and I'm sure Big Stew would through the kitchen sink at making what life his wife has left as good a quality as possible, with his money, state money or any money he could get. And so would I. And so would you all. Good luck with the future Big Stew, I have a feeling a few more might leave the forum after reading this thread of bitter c**p.
XC90D52005 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XC90D52005 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 18:57   #23
gillberry
VOC Member

Reading through this thread it seems that people are being tarred with the benefits brush , as with all cases there are genuine deserving cases of allowances or benefits . The problem is that the benefits system has been abused for years and any changes now affect people's human rights .
Those of us who go to work try to plan for our old age but sometimes things happen which throw spanners in the works but why should we be penalised just because we've been sensible and saved .
Big Stew good luck with th X1 .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)

Last edited by gillberry; Mar 26th, 2013 at 18:58. Reason: iPad spellcheck lol
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 12:19   #24
harveys
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stew View Post
Believe me guys I would much rather use a skateboard and have a wife who isn't dying. Motability is a charity which leases cars to people receiving DLA the full rate mobility componate presently £50 per week. People who choose to get a car from Motabiliy can get a small car for just their complete DLA payment or choose to pay an upfront advanced payment a get a larger vehicle I.e. a XC90, we choose to do this last time and funded this from my 40year old wife's pension which was unlocked early because she is dying. The advanced payment was £5500, we went down this route because we wished to tow a caravan, also paid for out of her unlocked pension. So up to now we have paid all the extras out of our own pocket, O how some people jump on the anti benefits band wagon. Get your bloody facts right people. If you don't know your facts then I suggest you keep you misguided views to yourself's and I honestly hope you never find yourself's in a position of needing help for loved one ! ! !
So what's the BMW cost was it free or you had to pay £2000 for it,not bad for a brand new car for 3 years.
When most of us pay ,road tax,servicing,insurance,breakdown cover,then there's the money lost when it's out the showroom.
So when you choose to spend £5500 for a free car it looks a lot better,if you paid for the XC90 what do you think you would have lost on it,a lot more than £5500.
Sorry if you want to post that you are getting a new car for free and you had to down size ,well hard lines.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 12:34   #25
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveys View Post
So what's the BMW cost was it free or you had to pay £2000 for it,not bad for a brand new car for 3 years.
When most of us pay ,road tax,servicing,insurance,breakdown cover,then there's the money lost when it's out the showroom.
So when you choose to spend £5500 for a free car it looks a lot better,if you paid for the XC90 what do you think you would have lost on it,a lot more than £5500.
Sorry if you want to post that you are getting a new car for free and you had to down size ,well hard lines.
I think your bang out of order with that post. He posted to say the xc was going and what he's getting instead and you have a go at him for trying to make his dying wife's last years as good as he can. I struggle with all my costs and I don't envy any one who has a car on mobility as I have both mine, my wife's and children's full health.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 12:41   #26
harveys
Master Member

All I can say the UK has ran out of money.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 12:47   #27
gillberry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveys View Post
All I can say the UK has ran out of money.
The problem is not the genuine cases but the abuse allowed by the system for those who make the most of it .
This thread was not about the rights and wrongs of our benefits system but about someone having to say goodbye to his xc90 .
The vast majority of us who go out to work object to benefits seemingly being given out freely but there are genuine cases that need help and these should not be drawn into the debate with those who abuse .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 13:05   #28
jenko2210

I think a few of us have forgotten the purpose of this forum!!!!
jenko2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 13:14   #29
petrolhead69

I don't have anything against people in need getting a little help, but when so many working people are struggling financially and things are getting very tight and the ridiculous level of taxation is a big part of that problem benefits should be tha bare minimum to allow people to get by, not subsidising serious decadent luxury. Gurning publically about having to go to a slightly less luxurious subsidised premium brand SUV when there are lots of us out here who couldn't cover the mortgage, council tax, food and diesel if it wasn't for a second job on top of a full time job is going to get people's backs up, especially when it's us thats paying for it. Thats where that money comes from, it is skimmed off every hardworking person, it shouldn't be wasted like this and people who get it should be grateful we live in a country that helps those in need at all, not whining that the freebies they get amount to more than large amounts of people in the world could see in a lifetime.
petrolhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 13:15   #30
petrolhead69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenko2210 View Post
I think a few of us have forgotten the purpose of this forum!!!!
Volvo related discussion?
petrolhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote