Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1000 mile report after XC90 engine tuning

Views : 15108

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2006, 20:27   #1
yeoman
Master Member

Cool 1000 mile report after XC90 engine tuning

I have an diesel 05 plate XC90. I just love the car but did not like the pull at low gears.I decided to chip the engine.After weighing the pros and cons(economics included) of a remap and a plug in device, I decided to go for the plug in which I bought from Diesel tuner Uk.
I must say that the car has been transformed.
It drives superbly now and seems quieter.
I took it to see a mate of mine whose who had test driven the XC90 and was very critical of the acceleration and he is mightily impressed too.(he had also test driven the VW Tuareg V10)

I now average 35.5 mpg on the motorway,but have not noticed any improvement in the intracity mpg.

If there is anyone who is considering chipping his/her Xc90,my advice is GO FOR IT!!
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yeoman For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:33   #2
ojock

Do you have the Geartronic version?
ojock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:00   #3
yeoman
Master Member

Yeah,I do.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:05   #4
Genghis
Genghis

Was your model the 190 BHP? - I saw people were chipping the 150 BHP version - did not know you could do the D5 190 BHP? - if it was this one how much did it cost?
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 20:18   #5
yeoman
Master Member

As far as I know, There are only 2 versions of the 2.4 diesel geartronic(163 BHP and the 2005(on 55 plate in all likelihood) 183BHP.
Mine is the 163 BHP and the figures quoted by the makers of the chip are, 163 BHP increased to 198 BHP and torque increased from 340NM to 430NM
The cost was about 320 quid.
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:37   #6
Genghis
Genghis

Thanks for the reply - I did have a guess at the figures.

My one (2005 model) seems fine - although depends on the turbo lag sometimes when you want to pull out & quickly accerlate not a lot happens but you get used to it after a while.

Enjoy your upgrade!!
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 14:16   #7
avtur1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis
Thanks for the reply - I did have a guess at the figures.

My one (2005 model) seems fine - although depends on the turbo lag sometimes when you want to pull out & quickly accerlate not a lot happens but you get used to it after a while.

Enjoy your upgrade!!
I've read the comment about poor pick up on a few occasions now, is it possible that this is the traction control limiting the engine output to aviod wheel spin? The comment is usually made about pulling out or moving off quickly. Does the tuning box make a significant difference in this situation?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 00:37   #8
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtur1
I've read the comment about poor pick up on a few occasions now, is it possible that this is the traction control limiting the engine output to aviod wheel spin? The comment is usually made about pulling out or moving off quickly. Does the tuning box make a significant difference in this situation?

You will find on speaking to anyone who has had an ECU upgrade or Tuning box fitted that the car is so much quicker, smoother and driveable.This is not only at low speeds.I actually belive that it makes it a safer car, as roundabouts in particular can be tackled more safely.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 00:12   #9
doctorstephen

Default tuning box

Hi,
I got my tuning box installed yesterday and fully agree with the original comments. Pulling out of roundabouts much better, and a smoother accelerations through the rev ranges.

Are you intending to remove the box when you car goes into service next? or will it be ok just to leave the box in the car? I am just a little worried my dearler voiding the warranty if they see the box.

Steve
doctorstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 13:56   #10
del0266

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have read many postings as a guest - including your original question back in April!

I've got a two year old XC90 D5 Geartronic and I've been considering performance improvement.

I was thinking of using the volvo tuning guys in bromsgrove for a chip remap but also consdering the diesel tuning uk option. Is there a particular reason why you went the route you did?

What about the dealer warranty issue?

Cheers
del0266 is offline   Reply With Quote