Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket HIDs without error

Views : 2797

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2014, 14:37   #21
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
Then you've been very lucky because what you have installed is illegal. Your headlamps are NOT type approved for HID use and they MUST have self levelling wash functions.

Take your car to VOSA and ask them.
I've never heard of a self leveling wash?

However, it does have an automatic wash function and self leveling suspension with adjustable light angle control.

There isn't a specific guideline for each model of light on each model of car, it's down to the perception of the rules by those doing the examination.

You could say that there's no type approval for nightbreaker bulbs or to go to the extreme, any tyres that the car didn't come from the factory with.

My car doesn't have type approval for the brakes, suspension, rear spoiler, front splitter, air filter, ECU etc etc etc... Does it fail an MOT? no.
It passes because it's deemed to be safe and suitable by the MOT inspector. Luck has nothing to do with it, although exploitation of the vague characteristics of certain MOT rules can play an important role.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 15:54   #22
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVTi View Post
Well that was a great link with nothing conclusive?? Well done you!!

I have not ignored anything.
I am making an informed decision – something you have not.
I do agree that this area is woolly and I have no doubt should anything arise that I would be on the slippery slope, but:

• The headlamp is e-marked.
• It does have headlamp wash
• It does have levelling suspension

All items deemed necessary.
The reflector, the one used that is very similar on the XC70 reflector uses HIDs with no concern whatsoever.
The style of reflector used does not bleed light like lens types.

The attachment gives a better insight to what VOSA feel about this subject, a little different to what you imply!
So long as the light doesn’t bleed and it’s not a stupid colour, then I see no reason (right or wrong) that there will or should be an issue. You won’t have read (because you don’t), but I have also chosen a bulb that has exception tolerance to main the sweet spot.

I have seen several XC90 with aftermarket HIDs with no dazzle. If there was I would not consider this - but it doesn't.

You are wrong in your statement. You can fit other HID systems that are not OEM. If you wish to state facts, please do so and not your misinterpretation or lack of understanding.

You’re obviously a person who grabs a little bit of knowledge but doesn’t (although ‘can’t’ would be more suitable??) know what to do with it!!

So if you would now go and twitch your curtains elsewhere I’m sure we’ll all be happy. I imagine you’re very much a jobsworth person.

Today you have bold green which I hope you like !!

Back on topic....
What your doing is illegal and you know it so please don't convince others its ok to do the same with your rantings full of incorrect information.

My X-wife has been a police officer for the past 13 years, the last 3 years she has spent in "Traffic" so yes I do know for a FACT that your non HID headlights are not type approved for HID use. If your so sure ask the next traffic cop you see to check them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
I've never heard of a self leveling wash?

However, it does have an automatic wash function and self leveling suspension with adjustable light angle control.

There isn't a specific guideline for each model of light on each model of car, it's down to the perception of the rules by those doing the examination.

You could say that there's no type approval for nightbreaker bulbs or to go to the extreme, any tyres that the car didn't come from the factory with.

My car doesn't have type approval for the brakes, suspension, rear spoiler, front splitter, air filter, ECU etc etc etc... Does it fail an MOT? no.
It passes because it's deemed to be safe and suitable by the MOT inspector. Luck has nothing to do with it, although exploitation of the vague characteristics of certain MOT rules can play an important role.
Cant be bothered to repeat myself, if you both choose to ignore the law, good luck. I just hope you don't cause an accident ..
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 16:02   #23
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Cant be bothered to repeat myself, if you both choose to ignore the law, good luck. I just hope you don't cause an accident ..
Good - I can't stand repetition.

But I would like to know how having correctly adjusted headlights with almost perfect beam pattern could cause an accident?

Unless people are likely to be distracted by how good they look?
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 16:05   #24
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Good - I can't stand repetition.

But I would like to know how having correctly adjusted headlights with almost perfect beam pattern could cause an accident?

Unless people are likely to be distracted by how good they look?
Installing HID bulbs into non HID headlights is illegal - FACT!

The reasons why are clear to everyone except the idiots that choose to ignore the law ..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Need extra light, fit HID spot lights. That way you wont be breaking the law as long as you install them correctly ..

Last edited by Shadeyman; Jul 14th, 2014 at 16:11.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 16:15   #25
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Can't believe I just sat through that but spin it to the bit where it says "The potential to dazzle other road users"

Any way, at risk of repeating myself (oh ffs), The beam pattern from the reflectors in the P2 Volvos doesn't get scattered and DID pass an MOT. Even with the headlights set high, I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic.
Many other cars can't use HIDs, as that eurobox demonstrated in the video but many can.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 16:16   #26
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:

Need extra light, fit HID spot lights. That way you wont be breaking the law as long as you install them correctly ..
Spot lights are illegal on uk roads.

And driving with foglights on when visibility is greater than 30M can incur a £60 fine.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 16:29   #27
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Can't believe I just sat through that but spin it to the bit where it says "The potential to dazzle other road users"

Any way, at risk of repeating myself (oh ffs), The beam pattern from the reflectors in the P2 Volvos doesn't get scattered and DID pass an MOT. Even with the headlights set high, I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic.
Many other cars can't use HIDs, as that eurobox demonstrated in the video but many can.
It makes no difference how perfect YOUR beam pattern is because its illegal to install HID's in non HID headlights(about 40 seconds into the video).

Quote:
Spot lights are illegal on uk roads.
Now your just being silly ...
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 16:52   #28
A lex
Premier Member

A washing function is NOT actually needed for type approval - a levelling function is though.

There have been plenty of cars sold over the years with HIDs from the factory with no washing function.

This topic always rages on. FWIW, I dont mind after-market HIDs when they are installed behind projector style lenses, as they look factory and dont bother anyone.

However there are always idiots who spoil the party - shoving HIDs in to an open headlight design that was never designed to cater for them in the first place is in my opinion, quite selfish.

The rules are very open to interpretation, and often contradict themselves, which is why people mainly get away with it come MOT time - however passing an MOT is absolutely no indication of whether you have a 'legal' car anyhoo, and often even whether you have a safe car...!
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 17:27   #29
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
A washing function is NOT actually needed for type approval - a levelling function is though.
Wash and self level are not always required for headlight type approval as both systems can be external to the headlight and not an integrated part of it. The XC90 headlights use an electric motor integrated into the headlight to tilt the reflectors. This type of light does require self levelling as part of its type approval.

Installing HIDs into non HID headlights became illegal because of the potential to dazzle other drivers and cause accidents. Yes some headlights like the XC90 may be able to control the light pattern to an acceptable level but most can't so its illegal.

If extra light is required install HID driving/spot lights(auxiliary lighting). There are rules governing there position, wattage and how they can be switched but they are legal here in the UK.
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ssembly=246185

Last edited by Shadeyman; Jul 14th, 2014 at 17:32.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 18:06   #30
VVTi

All my information I have sated is fact.

It is actually you that have stated items incorrectly as mention previously.

The video you linked to shows exactly what you cant grasp - putting an HID in a lens type headlamp. Protector and 'some/most' Reflectors are fine.

HIDs do not have to be fitted to Projector headlamps only.
Go look at the XC70 - same style headlamp as the XC90 but comes with either Halogen or Xenon!!

There is no bleed from this headlamp.

This is their concern Mr. Jobsworth Shadyman.

You cannot run spot lights whilst there is on coming traffic - ask your wife, she'll advise you.

I would prefer to have a correctly aligned HID car (with no bleed obviously) than a crap aligned Halogen.
XC90 D5 185 SE manual
VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote