Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

d5 mpg

Views : 4875

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2015, 08:14   #1
dylan5084

Default d5 mpg

I'm only getting 320 miles to a tank on the beast, which I figured to be about 22-23mpg, is this normal? Its not due a service till May, and it got a fuel filter at the last service, what can I do to improve mpg? What is everyone else getting mpg wise?

Could there be error codes on it causing poor economy

My most common drive is too and from work which is only 8 miles, 3 of which is a back road, but I should be getting better mpg than that surely?

What improvements can I expect to see remapping it? Is it beneficial to remove the dpf? Or egr valve?

cars The 163bhp 2003 d5 model, Thanks Dylan.
dylan5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:28   #2
rich1068
I've Been Banned

I have to admit that I think these cars are extremely thirsty. With my mix of driving (around town, a few A roads, the odd motorway blast) I get sub-25mpg. But even though my car is brand new it's old tech, it's heavy and the gearbox is a bit of a clunker.

That said, currently I wouldn't swap it for anything so it's forgiven
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:54   #3
AB-UK
Premier Member

I had a 380 miles round trip the other week, and the ave mpg read 29.9.
However, when I refilled my tank and did a manual calculation, it was 35mpg.

I think the only reliable method is a brim-to-brim check of actual fuel used.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:29   #4
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

I drive mine HARD, and I average 28mpg over mixed use...

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducklakeview For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:58   #5
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan5084 View Post
I'm only getting 320 miles to a tank on the beast, which I figured to be about 22-23mpg, is this normal? Its not due a service till May, and it got a fuel filter at the last service, what can I do to improve mpg? What is everyone else getting mpg wise?

My most common drive is too and from work which is only 8 miles, 3 of which is a back road, but I should be getting better mpg than that surely?

What improvements can I expect to see remapping it? Is it beneficial to remove the dpf? Or egr valve?

mines an 06 185 version. i get c.23-25. mainly short town trips (most under 3-4 miles start to end), with occasional weekend trip to parents - 30 miles round trip. i've had an MTE remap which boosts power, but under my driving conditions did not make difference to economy. it did help on long motorway trips at c.60-70 when i saw a return of 33mpg, compared to 29 previously. mine is serviced as per spec and i run nokian tyres (high resistance i think) at 39psi.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 12:13   #6
Colger23

My XC90 is 2010 D5 SE - overall fuel consumption since I purchased the car , which was in August 2013 is 26.559113 mpg - I always fill brim to brim and record the result together with mileage etc (sad I know). My best fuel consumption was on a motorway journey keeping the speed below 70 (between 50 and 60) when the car achieved 35.78665 mpg - the lowest consumption is around 23 mpg, in particular when towing a twin axle caravan.
Fuel consumption isn't one of its strongest assets, but, what the hell, you can't take it with you and its a lovely car for my purpose (just two of us, plenty of space and capable of towing a luxury caravan !!!
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 12:58   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:

Something wrong there I think. Have the same engine and get at least 45mpg on mixed driving ( brim to brim) in the eight years I've had it. How long between refills on average?
I doubt very much you have a dpf. A 163 D5 should be an E3 unit. Can't see fiddling with the egr making that kind of difference either.
Start with the simple stuff. Tyre pressures, is a wheel getting hot from brake dragging, lots of smoke out the back on acceleration ?
Eight miles is short for a D5. I'd say the temp needle has barely got to mid point in that time. Even so diesels are vey good at part load. Are you auto or manual. I'd expect a cold auto a low speeds in the heavier car to knock 15- 25% off of my 45mpg but not halve it.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 12:58   #8
DC850
VOC Member

Quote:

Hi Dylan,
I have the model as you, 2003 D5 163BHP, and have a similar commute except town driving. I achieve around 26 on the commute. But had a 350 mile run between Xmas and New year and I was achieving 38.5 mpg these readings are via the trip computer, my brim to brim check did return close figures to these.
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 13:03   #9
DC850
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Something wrong there I think. Have the same engine and get at least 45mpg on mixed driving ( brim to brim) in the eight years I've had it. How long between refills on average?
I doubt very much you have a dpf. A 163 D5 should be an E3 unit. Can't see fiddling with the egr making that kind of difference either.
Start with the simple stuff. Tyre pressures, is a wheel getting hot from brake dragging, lots of smoke out the back on acceleration ?
Eight miles is short for a D5. I'd say the temp needle has barely got to mid point in that time. Even so diesels are vey good at part load. Are you auto or manual. I'd expect a cold auto a low speeds in the heavier car to knock 15- 25% off of my 45mpg but not halve it.
My wifes V70 D5 achieves 45 MPG but not my XC90
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 13:03   #10
Curly59

41,000 miles in 18 months since purchase average 29 mpg, calculated on brim to brim
25% local, 25% open road, 50% motorway (estimate mix)

Driven hard on the open road, relaxed around town.