Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Check and Replace Anti-Roll Bar Drop Links

Views : 19622

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 22:54   #1
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Default How to Check and Replace Anti-Roll Bar Drop Links

Got an irritating rattle coming from the front suspension? Recommend you check your anti-roll bar drop links.

Level of difficulty: Honestly, if you can change a wheel, you can do this!

Tools Required:
  • Jack
  • Axle Stands
  • Wheel Brace and 19mm socket
  • 18mm Ring Spanner
  • 15mm Ring Spanner
  • Torx Set (and Allen keys if you use the same parts as me)
  • Torque Wrench and 18mm and 15mm socket

Parts Required: 2 x Drop Links, Volvo part no: 31201602

Available from Partsforvolvos @ £15.37. I used Meyle ones as I have had really good experience of using them on a BMW - excellenct longevity and superb quality. Sourced mine from Partservice, Exeter @ £13ea + VAt + delivery.

1. Loosen all wheel bolts on both front wheels
2. Jack up the front of the car, onto axle stands and remove both wheels. You need to get both wheels off the ground otherwise the anti-roll bar is under tension and it makes it difficult to get the links out later. Here's the old link:

3. Using an 18mm ring spanner and a torx bit to counterhold the balljoint, undo the top link:

4. Now you can check the condition of the joints by wiggling them. If there's any play or sloppiness, replace!

5. Using a 15mm ring spanner and a torx bit, undo the bottom link and take out the whole part

Here's the old vs. the new. I think you can see the quality of the Meyle joints compared to whatever make the old one is:

6. Put in the new part and once you've tightened the nuts as much as you can with the ring spanner so that the whole joint doesn't rotate, secure to 37lbf ft

Slightly different to the part I took out, the Meyle part has allen bolts instead of torx

7. Do the same on the other side

I gave all threads a good coating of copper grease to make the next time I do it easy

8. Wheels back on, car lowered, all bolts tightened to 103 lbf ft and road test.

Silence!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70DropLinksProject004.jpg (153.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg V70DropLinksProject005.jpg (77.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg V70DropLinksProject006.jpg (146.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg V70DropLinksProject007.jpg (164.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg V70DropLinksProject008.jpg (105.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg V70DropLinksProject010.jpg (167.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Apr 28th, 2012 at 19:29. Reason: Corrected bbcode for the images and attached.