Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to fix idling problems, petrol engined S80

Views : 36336

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 15:16   #1
Oscar the Dachshund

Default How to fix idling problems, petrol engined S80

Hello everyone, how to fix a problem with the idling in a 2.4 SE auto (non turbo).

The problem was, every time the engine revs dropped, for instance when slowing down to make a turn, the revs would drop down to about 500 rpm or less, causing the car to judder and on occassion stall (not good in an auto!).
Here's is how I fixed it, it is dead easy:
  1. Pop the bonnet and locate the air filter, it is the big black plastic box at the front/ right of the engine. Coming from this is a black rubber concertina type hose about 4" in diameter, this leads down to the throttle box and is secured to the throttle box by a single large jubilee clip.
  2. Undo the jubilee clip with a screwdriver and disconnect the hose from the throttle box, you should now be able to see into the box. It is probably filthy inside, but inside you will see a flap which controls the amount of air the engine needs, you can move this freely, but first...
  3. Put on a pair of gloves to protect your hands from the dirt.
  4. Get a lint free cloth and simply and carefully clean out the interior of the box, move the flap and clean out both inside and outside the flap, paying particular attention to the hinge points and the faces of the box which seal against the flap.
  5. Re-assemble the hose and Bobs your uncle, your car will run much, much better.
    I have seen this tip many times on the forum, apology to anyone who has posted this repair before, but I feel that it needed a step by step explanation and, we should all share our experience to enjoy our Volvos. So come on, if you have any tips, please post them.

PS If any one needs photos of this or any other repair I will be glad to post them here.
Oscar
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oscar the Dachshund For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 15:22   #2
niloc
SWV Benefactor

I used Wynns Injection/carb cleaner and a toothbrush too! It gets the crud out where the rag won't reach. I also cleaned the breather inlet on that big pipe, and sprayed some cleaner into the manifold.

Cleaning the throttle body (and idle valve) is something that should be done every year or 2, not just to the S80's. I recently did my 960 - that idles better too!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 13:47   #3
Oscar the Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc View Post
I used Wynns Injection/carb cleaner and a toothbrush too! It gets the crud out where the rag won't reach. I also cleaned the breather inlet on that big pipe, and sprayed some cleaner into the manifold.

Cleaning the throttle body (and idle valve) is something that should be done every year or 2, not just to the S80's. I recently did my 960 - that idles better too!
Cheers for that Niloc, I'll dash out and get some Wynn's too!
Oscar
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:34   #4
tatased

can u please post photos as i am a amateur
thanks in advance !!!!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 15:46   #5
Oscar the Dachshund

Hello Tatased
, here are some pictures for this repair, this is the very easy version that anyone can do!

Click on the picture to make it bigger.

This is the view from the front of the car, the black rubber hose connects the air filter box, on the right to the throttle box on the left.
car 002.jpg
Closer viewcar 001.jpg

Undo this screw on the jubilee clipcar 003.jpg

and detach this end of the hosecar 004.jpg

Viewed from a different angle, you should now be able to see into the throttle boxcar 006.jpg

Looking in closer....car 005.jpgThis is the inside of the box you need to clean, your's will probably be very sooty, you can move the brass coloured flap to clean in behind it too.
Hope this is of help to you.
Oscar
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oscar the Dachshund For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 22:04   #6
bobsa31

Default A big Thanks !!!

My Volvo has been doing this for ages, I was going to stick it into the garage at the weekend and have it looked at when I say this. Just cleaned out as directed took the car for a spin and woo hoo, didn't cut out once.

Thanks Again
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 21:35   #7
tatased

Smile

thanks oscar you'r the best!!!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 10:33   #8
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Oscar, thanks for putting the procedure into pictures. I'm glad this solution saves people money!
Oscar, can I request your permission to use your pictures for an article?
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 19:18   #9
Oscar the Dachshund

Default Article

Sure, Niloc. Glad to help anyone.
Cheers

Oscar
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 20:00   #10
Multiplex

Just make sure you dont have the ignition on when doing this as the engine control unit will see the throttle is moving when not being requested by the accelerator pedal. It could see this as a fault, log a diagnostic trouble code and bring on the engine management light. You would then have to get the codes erased to clear the light.
The Following User Says Thank You to Multiplex For This Useful Post: