Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How i replaced my broken HU850 Stereo

Views : 13118

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2012, 22:49   #1
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.
Default How i replaced my broken HU850 Stereo

Hi,
about a week ago my HU 850 stereo unit developed a major fault http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=152688 and after being quoted £280 by Marcel to fix it or £600 from RUFE to replace it i came to the conclusion that an aftermarket headunit was the only way to go as i wanted to avoid Volvo compatibility issues by using a 2nd hand unit.

I had previously installed a Parrot CK3100 Blutooth hands free which funnily enough continued to work perfectly.
Bluetooth was essential but i realised that things had moved on so looked for a good quality Radio/MP3 player with integreated Bluetooth.
I finally settled on a new Alpine CDE W235BT with integrated Parrot and separate mike for £195.
I ordered the proper Volvo double din blanking Plate and was told that it would take a few days to arrive as there were none of the facelft plates in the country.I also bought an autoleads aerial adaptor £4.95 delivered .

Having time on my hands today i decided to make a start and was then hit by a brain wave.
If my headunit is essentially scrap why not utilise the front off it and house my new Radio unit in that. This way i would have no problem with trim not matching and a real plus point for me was that this option also meant that the Volvo phone installed could be left in place thus helping to retain a more " Factory Look "
Nothing to loose so i made a start this afternoon DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY FIRST and 3 hours later i was done and am very happy.
I cancelled the Volvo fascia plate (£46 ) that i ordered and will sell my Parrot CK3100 so should recoup some of the costs.
Once i had ascertained that the Alpine outer trim was big enough to cover all of the removed centre section from the old HU850 i cut the centre out roughly with a hacksaw and then used a Mouse sander to get everything square and nicely finished.
Yes i have lost steering wheel controls but that's no big deal and my bank balance is certainly healthier.
Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Darryl

Edit: Link to original thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 010.jpg (101.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 011.jpg (178.5 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 012.jpg (157.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 013.jpg (142.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 014.jpg (160.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 015.jpg (146.1 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 016.jpg (174.4 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 017.JPG (321.8 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 019.jpg (92.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Stereo 021.jpg (133.7 KB, 260 views)

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by cumbrianmale; May 16th, 2012 at 18:42. Reason: link back