Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tpms???

Views : 2326

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 19:30   #1
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Default Tpms???

So, I was watching ITV Central news earlier and an article about the new labelling on tyres was on and that's all well and good but they were also talking about the compulsory introduction of Tyre Pressure Inflation System. More info here.

Ok, so all new cars within the EU will have to be made with TPMS but it's expected to be introduced into the MOT for all cars by 2015!

So, these sensors need to be fitted to each wheel and cost in between £40-£200 each! They have batteries in them which have a life span of about 5 years which I don't think are replaceable so yet more cost to us motorists!

What do you think then guys? I know in some countries they are already compulsory but do we really need to be told that one of our tyres is under-inflated?
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 19:31   #2
dew1911
I've Been Banned

I think C30s in the US get these as standard
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 19:35   #3
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

I use common sense and inflate mine every 2-3 weeks

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 19:48   #4
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

and unfortunately they are a pain in the butt when they break salt and grit is known to also help many along the way!

mainly down to many being lazy bone idle c*nts that cannot be bothered to check pressures.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 19:51   #5
dew1911
I've Been Banned

Got to admit I only check mine once every 2/3 weeks, but I can tell if the pressure moves majorly.
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 19:58   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

I think you will find manditory to be fitted by a given date to cars sold within Europe and if fitted will be tested as part of the MoT.

I can't see them trying to get owners of older cars that didn't have a system fitted having to add such a system as technically it will invalidate the cars EMC test from new (TPMS uses radio transmission to get the data from within the spinning wheel) - Revalidation of cars would be costly and impossible to regulate - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 20:11   #7
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
I think you will find manditory to be fitted by a given date to cars sold within Europe and if fitted will be tested as part of the MoT.

I can't see them trying to get owners of older cars that didn't have a system fitted having to add such a system as technically it will invalidate the cars EMC test from new (TPMS uses radio transmission to get the data from within the spinning wheel) - Revalidation of cars would be costly and impossible to regulate - Mike
I know it sounds like a very unreasonable feat to make it mandatory to all vehicles but that's what it said on the news this evening that it's 'expected' to happen for cars not fitted with it out of the factory.
Here's hoping it's just for cars made from now!
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 20:45   #8
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

NEW cars require it as an MOTable item, it is already an advisable item there is no way that it will be a requirement for all cars to have TPMS fitted, and nowhere in that report does it suggest that as usual the media are trying to panic everyone.
Anyone remember the ABS scare many moons ago when it was reported that all cars will have to have ABS fitted, same happened with cat convertors, rear seat belts, airbags and third brake lights?

Last edited by Marty Dolomite; Nov 1st, 2012 at 20:47.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 20:54   #9
Magnumpi
Master Member

We are on a car forum, so i would like to think a majority of us have atleast a small bit of mechanical knowledge, like how to check tyre pressures.

Maybe they should make it mandatory to use your grey matter rather than over reliance on technology!

Wanted 240 parts: Front black hockey sticks
Saloon rear lights
Front suspension struts
Magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnumpi For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 21:40   #10
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumpi View Post
We are on a car forum, so i would like to think a majority of us have atleast a small bit of mechanical knowledge, like how to check tyre pressures.

Maybe they should make it mandatory to use your grey matter rather than over reliance on technology!
Most of 'us' do know the basics of a car but I know from first hand experiance that a lot of drivers do not have a clue about how their cars work, most do not even know how to open the bonnet and think that a cambelt change, oil change, water level checks and service etc are part of the MOT.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote