Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 2002 Heater blower motor exchange walkthrough

Views : 14729

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2013, 19:08   #1
BigTazScotland

Exclamation S60 2002 Heater blower motor exchange walkthrough

My heater/blower had cut down to half power then it eventually stopped working altogether, i looked on this forum and another Volvo forum and bothe said it was either the common resister for the blower or the motor, so i decided to change mine but could not find a walk through for an S60 so decided to make one when i was changing mine!

open glove box pull open and on top right there is a strut as below

pull strut towards you and it will pop out, then open glove box full as below, pull hard and the plastic clips will slip through catch without breaking allowing the glovebox to open fully

unplug grey plug for glove box light (at back)

undo screws under dash next to footwell courtesy light

and remove covering panel as below to gain access to blower motor and cabin filter

undo all screws holding glove box to dash, (2 on top 3 down each side)

unplug footwell courtesy light (green plug ) this will allow you to remove whole glove box completly

pull up side paneling holding carpet down (held on with plugs come away easy try not to twist or you might snap plugs)

pull back carpet, blower is located on left under dash as per picture

pull out large grey plug from blower motor (for referance white box with black lid on right in picture is cabin/ pollen filter 4 screws to access)

undo brass coloured screws (all star T25 multipoint) holding blower in place and pull out hoses attached to it (remember where they go back and what position the whole unit goes back into place) screw at back requires flexi adjuster or screw driver as shape of bulk head affects ability to access with straight socket/ driver

pull out old blower may take some fettling but it will come out with a little determination and alot of swearing

reverse whole process fitting new motor

hope yous find this usefull

Last edited by BigTazScotland; Nov 10th, 2013 at 20:05.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 19:49   #2
BigTazScotland

I got my replacement for £25 from local scrap yard that was for motor, fan and resister (whole unit ) i had checked on line and at volvo and cheapest resistor was £90 and cheapest motor was £240 so thought at £25 i had nothing to loose/

Getting from there also gave me a chance to practice removal on a damaged car rather than trying first time on mine and damaging something.

hope my walk through is useful i tried to keep it as simple as possible rather than over complicating it and explaining everything like i would to someone thats never picked up tools before.

Last edited by BigTazScotland; Nov 10th, 2013 at 20:08.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigTazScotland For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 20:07   #3
Pureaz

you could use the walk through for pretty much most cars out there lol
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 20:09   #4
BigTazScotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureaz View Post
you could use the walk through for pretty much most cars out there lol
yeah but there where quite a few differences even between models so i thought i would be helpful and make one for an S60 specific as i was doing it anyway
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 21:06   #5
Sej

Thanks for taking the time to put this together BigTazScotland :-)
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 21:25   #6
timmybrick

I too done this job today got a whole unit from the breakers got it home and the new one fan didn't work so used my old fan and took the resistor out of the new one now all works a treat..
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 21:43   #7
BigTazScotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybrick View Post
I too done this job today got a whole unit from the breakers got it home and the new one fan didn't work so used my old fan and took the resistor out of the new one now all works a treat..
Think I would have took a breakdown before I thought about mixing and matching as it was minus 1 degrees Celsius hear today and I was freezing
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 09:09   #8
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

this needs to be made a Sticky.
mike
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post: