Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Andrew Bangham - 1mph Over the Speed Limit - Prosecution

Views : 5547

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2018, 15:04   #101
domhart10
Volvo S40

Speed also saves lives. Lorries in Germany go faster than our speed limit, our UK road discipline is embarassing.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 17:23   #102
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
Speed can be a contributing factor to accidents. I am also a biker and one of the biggest killers of bikers is losing control in corners when going in too fast. That speed is contributing to the accident, which in most cases is the biker ditching the bike in the verge.

That is different from determining if the accident will be slight, serious or fatal. If the biker hits the verge at 5 mph and topples over, dented pride and a dent on the bike. If the biker hits the verge at 50 mph, serious injury if not death. Speed determines if the accident kills.

That is why there are heavier restrictions that otherwise expected on otherwise safe motorways. They are the safest roads, but the speeds are at the highest and speed kills.

If people really do want ride of speed cameras, don't speed, make them too expensive to maintain, they will be removed and you can speed all you want!
I a biker as well and I have been involved in more than one accident. Hitting the verge at 50mph did not kill me, nor did sliding down the motorway on my side at 70mph after being side swiped as everything was moving in the same direction as me. That is the additional safety factor in dial carriageways and motorways and why higher speeds are safe. I have also been off the corner at 60mph and through the fence into the field beyond. It is not speed that kills you but what you hit.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 21:14   #103
The Thong
VOC Member

It’s amazing really that we have accidents on Motorways. No left or right turns, no roundabouts, no pedestrian crossings, no side roads and only no and off ramps to leave and access the motorway.... All the traffic flows in one direction and yet there are accidents caused by poor driving, impatience, lack of observations etc etc..... in reality, motorway driving should be simplicity itself.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 23:03   #104
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
It’s amazing really that we have accidents on Motorways. No left or right turns, no roundabouts, no pedestrian crossings, no side roads and only no and off ramps to leave and access the motorway.... All the traffic flows in one direction and yet there are accidents caused by poor driving, impatience, lack of observations etc etc..... in reality, motorway driving should be simplicity itself.

TT
I agree but but must add that the motorways are the safest roads and the most dangerous part of the motorway is the hard shoulder.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 01:09   #105
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post

TT
Should be, but motorway design has taken a very perculiar turn the last couple of decades. For example, suddenly finding yourself in a lane which is going to veer off into a sliproad - the only way to go straight on, is to turn right. This is stupid.

Another thing is where people rush onto the motorway, trying to get up to speed, and of course are paying a lot of attention to the traffic they're attempting to join. Indicating right, they'll slip into the traffic - and find themselves in the middle lane! The sliproad has become it's own lane, and anyone going straight on will need to move left. This is stupid.

What we end up with is people changing their minds, realising they're in the wrong lane too late and then switching lanes across reserved areas. And it's not necessarilly lack of observation, a high sided lorry can obscure a sign for the duration of the approach, for example. In other cases, no signage at all.

Most of the time these stupid layouts aren't clear, and mistakes are too common. It causes a lot of confusion. I know some interchanges are necessarilly complicated and in some cases it's unavoidable, but for the overall majority going straight-on ought to require no changes in direction at all.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 06:54   #106
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
I agree but but must add that the motorways are the safest roads and the most dangerous part of the motorway is the hard shoulder.
I know, I’ve done roadside recovery..... Hi-Vis = Target
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 13:11   #107
Grimble
Grimble

Surely it cant be a coincidence that many of the accidents on motorways causing no end of hold-ups seem to happen early in the morning just before the commuter rush.
Overnight driving causing tiredness must be a major factor.

The hard shoulder is very dangerous, that why the brains behind 'smart motorways' have got rid of them in the interests of shoving a quart into a pint pot instead of building the road capacity required.

Even now the cretins that design major roads are still building bridges to the road edge instead of making the span a bit bigger to enable the extra lane that will inevitably be needed.
The A14 from Rugby to Huntingdon was a classic example. I remember it opening in the early 90's and thinking how stupid it was that the overbridges were only wide enough for a dual carriageway. Here we are less than 30 years later demolishing to make the road wider.